PDA

View Full Version : No grain filling...

Pete Howlett
04-04-2016, 01:07 PM
We usually use epoxy to grain fill on nearly all the woods we use except spruce so this was a bit of a game changer. We had some close pored koa on a tenor that Tommy decided not to grain fill (cheeky monkey did it while I was away) to see if I would notice... Well I thought it was a great sounding ukulele and the reason became apparent when he told me he hadn't grain-filled it! I did not notice :( Unusual for koa to be so fine 'grained'.

Although there isn't a sound sample comparison, this tenor has an epoxy grain-filled sister that is just a wee bit quieter than this canon...

https://youtu.be/8sgYC6-g374

PhilUSAFRet
04-05-2016, 01:06 AM
Lovely sounding.

weerpool
04-05-2016, 07:20 AM
I'm with tommy 100% for the no grain filling. sounds way better. the use actually sounds relax and the notes breathes

Timbuck
04-05-2016, 07:53 AM
I'm with tommy 100% for the no grain filling. sounds way better. the use actually sounds relax and the notes breathes
How do you know it sounds better ?..this isn't an accoustic sound sample comparison,;)

Pete Howlett
04-05-2016, 09:26 AM
It's because I said so Ken... BTW been shipping to America. After your disaster made sure everything is double walled and supported!