Grip Strips?

jddennis

Reaction score
I was looking at the Magic Fluke website, and I saw that they sell grip strips. Apparently, you put them on the back of your ukulele to prevent it from sliding around.

http://www.magicfluke.com/product-p/gripstrips.htm

Has anyone tried these? If so, do they work as advertised? Also, would there be a difference between a glossy finish and matte finish to how well the pads could be applied?

It's my understanding that you'd just use them on the Magic Fluke ukuleles, since they have a molded plastic body and are pretty slippery. I wouldn't use them on a wood uke, at least one worth more than a few dollars, since they could possible damage the wood and finish.

Well, that makes sense. But it could work with most plastic/non-wood backed ukes? I also have an Ovation Applause, so I could see that as helpful.

I don't see why it wouldn't work with any kid of material uke. It's just a sticky strip. Well I mean if you had a fur uke, you might run into some issues :p

I use a rug underlay on the back of my composite polycarbonate Outdoor ukulele. I use it on my plywood backed Zither Heavens, too.

All my ukes have one in their gig bag, even the strapped ones because I can use it to keep other items from sliding around. I cut them down from a huge piece from the Dollar Tree.

I posted this pic the other day of my gig bag contents, and it shows the piece of rug underlay.

Attachments

• IMG_20160331_175946188_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20160331_175946188_HDR.jpg
    99.2 KB · Views: 51
Last edited:
I use a rug underlay on the back of my composite polycarbonate Outdoor ukulele. I use it on my plywood backed Zither Heavens, too.

Hi Laura,

Do you use contact cement to stick it? I was trying to think of something to use on my Fluke and rug underlay sounds like the perfect fix!

Hi Laura,

Do you use contact cement to stick it? I was trying to think of something to use on my Fluke and rug underlay sounds like the perfect fix!

No need for any cement. I have pieces cut in different sizes, but most just need enough to cover the back side and a bit of the side where it rests on your leg. Works quite well. This white grid type underlay is kind of rubbery - some are more woven fabric - so be sure you get the rubbery type. You can also look for rubbery shelf liners, but this underlay seems more flexible. Can't beat the $1 price.

I have pieces cut in different sizes, but most just need enough to cover the back side and a bit of the side where it rests on your leg.

I actually don't play with it on my leg, but I'm sure putting it under the right arm would work the same way.

I always try not to wear "slippery" fabrics...100% poly, etc. when I know I'll be playing my ukes. Many use straps rather than stick something onto the back of their instrument(s), especially the sound hole hook models.

actadh;. You can also look for rubbery shelf liners said:
Some flea/fluke players use "rubbery shelf liner" type with double sided tape. Not a permanent alteration to the Uke, but stops it from slipping.

The Flea gripper strips do help. Also, skin is stickier than fabric, so bare arms help. A strap is helpful. A Uke Leash doesn't need a button, and doesn't use glue or hooks.
–Lori

I agree with Lori. The Uke Leash works very well especially sitting. I use one for my eighter, and I think I'm gonna get one for my banjo to help keep the peg head up. :eek:ld:

I bought about five of them and used them all. I like them. They're easy to affix. They stick/don't move and seem to help a little bit. I have them on laminates/ plastic ukes (nothing too expensive). If you do take them off, they do leave a little bit of an outline. But they did not leave any goo/ gunk on the back after I removed them. I will order more again in the future.

Cool, guys. Thanks for all the responses. I'd never heard of these before, so I thought the concept was interesting.

Home depot and Lowes sells Tread Tape for stairs in assorted widths and lengths. Used a small strip on the edge of my Ovation. Made extras for friends and handed out to everyone with a Ovation/Applause at an Open Mic.

Top Bottom