strings touching fret.

bullet08

Reaction score
just received my kala ka-cem. when i'm pressing down on the string, any string, the string is touching the fret both up and down. i tuned the string, and it's still doing that..

is there a simple adjustment i can do? or does it need to be returned?

never played string instrument before.. does it supposed to do that?

lol how your string can touch fret with nut and saddle? i mean just how? it can be too high or something like that. but if its touching fret you should look if the nut is not digged to much and saddle is in good stay. im beginner and that my opinion maybe someone else will give you better advice :)

where did you get the uke from...sounds like there is no relief in the neck..needs a setup....
does the uke buzz?

i know only way to fix it. try to take out saddle and put there some paper at the bottom but paper has to be at same high everywhere in saddle hole. (google what is saddle)

just received my kala ka-cem. when i'm pressing down on the string, any string, the string is touching the fret both up and down. i tuned the string, and it's still doing that..

Can you upload a few photos, photo from your view when playing/holding position, i.e., showing the edge of the fretboard and the string height and a different photo showing how it looks when you press the string down, as well as another photo when no strings are pressed down?

If we can see the problem, you will get better info to help you.

The root cause of the problem could be string action OR could be the overall uke setup OR could be your fretting technique OR the uke might be defective or damaged in some way, but the photos will help to clarify.

You can upload a photo into your message here by clicking on THIS icon >Screenshot - 04052016 - 02:53:52 PM.png< in the toolbar above the place where you type. Repeat for multiple photos (I think the limit is FOUR photos per message, if you have more, then make a second or third message and add them there)

When you say "pressing down on the string", do you mean when you're playing? As in, fretting a note? Because if so, that's exactly what it's meant to do. The string will touch the frets both above and below the note you're playing.

First I would ask if the strings are taught, if not, they may just need bringing up to the right tension/octave.

There are online uke tuners, try one against your uke.
http://www.get-tuned.com/online_ukulele_tuner.php

Failing that, pictures will help diagnose your problem.

Last edited:
When you say "pressing down on the string", do you mean when you're playing? As in, fretting a note? Because if so, that's exactly what it's meant to do. The string will touch the frets both above and below the note you're playing.

What she said ...

Top Bottom