Living Water Strings or PHD strings?

secretgarden

Reaction score
Hi everyone,
I have heard the Living Water Strings and the PHD strings are very good. I was wondering if they would work for a Gretsch Tenor (G9120) and a Makala (MK-) Soprano? I just broke a string on the Makala and the G string on the Gretsch has a nick which means it will also have to be changed soon.

I play mostly traditional music such as gospel, worship, disney, some Beatles and other music that sounds great with a high G tuning.

I'm still very new to the ukulele world therefore I would love to hear what the experts say.

Thank you all in advance

SGU

Sound and strings are really personal. We can tell you stuff but it won't mean a thing until you try it for yourself.

I've tried both. Living Waters sounded like good fluorocarbon strings. PhDs were not as bright and I didn't keep them on. Instruments were a couple of different solid wood concerts. YMMV.

I love the Living Water strings on my KoAloha pineapple soprano. I've never tried PhD's.

Sorry, nobody has opinions on strings here.

J/K :)

They both sound great to me but I have a low G on the PhDs so hard to compare. Maybe do a search on YouTube to see if you can find video/sound samples. As the above poster said, it's just personal choice.

I bought some Living Water strings & I like them, you may or may not, it is a personal thing, what I can say is that they are kinder to my fingertips than Aquila strings. :)

Like every post on "what string", the answer is personal.
To me PHDs and Living Waters are similar. The LW's are made from a very high grade of flouro carbon and thus feel slicker and softer than PHDs.

I have a set of low g PhD strings on a tenor I have, however I am not very fond of the low g string - not enough tension for me and poor balance in tension compared to the other three strings. This would probably not be an issue in the hi g set you are looking at.

Top Bottom