PDA

View Full Version : Digging my new old ukulele.

ESP001
04-05-2016, 08:49 PM
After beginning my journey with an eBay bargain ukulele (to make sure I liked it enough to persue learning to play) I recently purchased another Ebay bargain with the hopes of upgrading in the tone category. A months worth of searches landed me on a "very reasonably priced" Kamaka standard from 1960. It was kind of dingy and missing a tuning button. A regular "Charlie Brown Christmas Tree" of a ukulele. But the price was right and, being a bit of a gambler, I purchased it and crossed my fingers. It arrived on a warm day which is never good for an old wood instrument. The vintage tuning button was secured from Kamaka in Hawaii, along with a nifty t-shirt. Minor repairs and a good cleaning were performed by a pro. A couple of weeks later, it was time to hear my "sound upgrade". All I can say is "wow". The projection and tone are something else. Strumming chords makes me smile. So much sound from such a small instrument. Im looking forward to continuing my ukulele journey and, I'm glad this forum exists.

kohanmike
04-05-2016, 10:37 PM
Always nice to hear good stories. Congrats and keep on strummin'.

DownUpDave
04-06-2016, 03:36 AM
Most excellent, we are always happy around here when a uke is saved and resurrected. Especially an older Kamaka soprano, they are very cool. Congratulations and welcome to the addictive world of Ukuleles

actadh
04-06-2016, 03:37 AM
What an awesome ukulele.

UkieOkie
04-06-2016, 04:42 AM
Congrats. I'm glad you're pleased with it. Happy strumming.

UkerDanno
04-06-2016, 04:43 AM
what a great find, enjoy! :shaka:

Ukejenny
04-06-2016, 11:59 AM
What a lovely instrument! I look on ebay every now and then for a concert that is in my "range" but, alas, nothing yet. I'm in no hurry. Your post makes me want to check right now!

ESP001
04-06-2016, 01:09 PM
Concerts and tenors are harder to find, with the tenors being more difficult. Good luck in your search. Patience always wins out on eBay searches.

Kyle23
04-06-2016, 01:31 PM
I think I was watching the same auction and I forgot about it and seen it ended for a good price. Congrats, looks great!

ESP001
04-06-2016, 03:37 PM
I posted this video a few days after I picked up my ukulele post restoration. Richard Chapman on my Kamaka. Enjoy.

http://youtu.be/NFtVTCK0Md0

PhilUSAFRet
04-06-2016, 03:41 PM
Congrats on the find. I wasn't even looking for a Kamaka when I found my white label soprano on ebay in pristine condition at a price too low to believe. Now that I have it, I will never get rid of it...perhaps my easiest to play uke, and I'm a concert guy.