Digging my new old ukulele.

ESP001

Reaction score
After beginning my journey with an eBay bargain ukulele (to make sure I liked it enough to persue learning to play) I recently purchased another Ebay bargain with the hopes of upgrading in the tone category. A months worth of searches landed me on a "very reasonably priced" Kamaka standard from 1960. It was kind of dingy and missing a tuning button. A regular "Charlie Brown Christmas Tree" of a ukulele. But the price was right and, being a bit of a gambler, I purchased it and crossed my fingers. It arrived on a warm day which is never good for an old wood instrument. The vintage tuning button was secured from Kamaka in Hawaii, along with a nifty t-shirt. Minor repairs and a good cleaning were performed by a pro. A couple of weeks later, it was time to hear my "sound upgrade". All I can say is "wow". The projection and tone are something else. Strumming chords makes me smile. So much sound from such a small instrument. Im looking forward to continuing my ukulele journey and, I'm glad this forum exists.

image.jpg

Always nice to hear good stories. Congrats and keep on strummin'.

Most excellent, we are always happy around here when a uke is saved and resurrected. Especially an older Kamaka soprano, they are very cool. Congratulations and welcome to the addictive world of Ukuleles

Last edited:
What an awesome ukulele.

Congrats. I'm glad you're pleased with it. Happy strumming.

what a great find, enjoy! :shaka:

What a lovely instrument! I look on ebay every now and then for a concert that is in my "range" but, alas, nothing yet. I'm in no hurry. Your post makes me want to check right now!

Concerts and tenors are harder to find, with the tenors being more difficult. Good luck in your search. Patience always wins out on eBay searches.

I think I was watching the same auction and I forgot about it and seen it ended for a good price. Congrats, looks great!

I posted this video a few days after I picked up my ukulele post restoration. Richard Chapman on my Kamaka. Enjoy.

Last edited:
Congrats on the find. I wasn't even looking for a Kamaka when I found my white label soprano on ebay in pristine condition at a price too low to believe. Now that I have it, I will never get rid of it...perhaps my easiest to play uke, and I'm a concert guy.

Top Bottom