Some advice about strings

rudidp

Reaction score
I am in the final stages of my very own built-from-scratch all-mahogany Concert Uke.

So far it looks great and sounds good when I test it with a tuning fork! Once I've finished the french polish I'll be mounting the bridge/saddle (this should be in the next week) and I had a question....

Which strings are likely to sound best?

I have a set of Aquila red which I was going to put on - they seem like a decent all-round option but given the time spent building, is there something better that I am missing?

thanks!

rudi

You'll find quite a few threads about strings on this forum, suffice to say, it comes down to personal choice, but I would recommend you try Living Water flourocarbon strings. :)

The best strings are the ones you think sound best!!
Aquila is a good place to start. You may have to try a few different types to find what you like best.

The best strings are the ones you think sound best!!

Couldn't have said it better myself. However it does get confusing. To simplify things keep in mind that strings basically come in two flavors: Nyllon (or nylagut) or fluorocarbon (basically fancy fishing line). Decide which one of these two you prefer and then narrow down the brand you like. They both will sound very different on your uke. I've found that some ukes like nylagut and some like FC. Then I change my mind. It changes day to day. Also depends on how you play. I'm currently into flurocarbon but that could change. This is a very personal thing and don't ask anybody else what they like, use what sounds good to you.

Thanks everyone - I'll try the Aquila's first!

Top Bottom