which part of the finger to fret with?

bullet08

Reaction score
i've searching the web.. but it really doesn't say. tip of the finger to fret with? or the underside of the nail where the pad of finger is? it's makes sense to use tip, but just want to check i'm doing it right.

These videos from YouTube might help.

Watch this first.

Mike also has a video of a technique that was mentioned in another thread. he also explains it better than I would.

This is what my friend taught me many years ago to get my fingers moving on strings. He just taught me to move up a fret when shifting to the next string.

My keyboard exercises were much the same walking up and down the keys skipping different keys as you progress in skill or practice time.

These exercises also help you get away from looking at your fingers and when that happens it really is an accomplishment that brings much joy.

Enjoy your journey.

~AL~

thanks. that second video really helps. i want to get my basics/fundamental down before jumping on a tune. that second video shows what i wanted to know.

thanks. that second video really helps. i want to get my basics/fundamental down before jumping on a tune. that second video shows what i wanted to know.

Maybe you are unaware that the OTHER part of Ukulele Underground, the part which supports the existence of this forum, has all kinds of lessons, taught by the amazing Aldrine Guerrero, who is one of the founders of this whole web site and it's organizations, as well as a world-class touring and recording artist.

There is a fee, but there are also a bunch of lessons for free, which they also include on the UU YouTube channel.

See here: http://ukuleleunderground.com/

Also, once you have an account there, which is IN FACT a completely different login from these forums, you can download the free UU+ app and do all the video lessons from either an iOS or Android device, and it tracks your progress and is synchronized with where you are if you use the web site for the videos as well.

i've searching the web.. but it really doesn't say. tip of the finger to fret with? or the underside of the nail where the pad of finger is? it's makes sense to use tip, but just want to check i'm doing it right.

I believe this: What is right, is that which works FOR YOU. We are all built differently. So if you have a repeated success with whichever you re using , that is what you should use.

It's a generalization, but you will find most uke players fret similarly to either a classical guitar player with the thumb directly behind the neck, using the part of the pad closest to the nail, or using the lower portion of the pad with their thumb wrapped around the neck. As has been said, it depends on what's comfortable. There are some styles that will facilitate fretting better than others and many feel the more "classical" style of fretting is advantageous.

I think its safe to assume those of us who contribute yearly for VIP likely goes a long way to supporting this forum but that's neither here or there.

No disrespect to anyone but there is way to much out there for free to pay for any online lessons for ukulele in my opinion. Face to face lessons with a teacher in the room is another thing. Another great free resource is Uncle Rods Ukulele Bootcamp. http://ukulelebootcamp.weebly.com/uploads/2/2/4/8/22489722/ukulele_boot_camp_2013.pdf

Of course if something works for you use it but please dont fret with your nail, dont start wrapping your thumb over the top of the fretboard as correcting bad habits before they begin is better than trying to correct them after years of practice. This is why playing things slowly and correctly first is so important.

~peace~

my main instrument was/is GHB (Great Highland Bagpipes), so string instrument is rather new. i play some other minor toys, but all are some type of "wind instruments". building basic and playing slow is definitely way to go.

Top Bottom