Uke size & hand cramps

JessicaM

Reaction score
I have a concert sized uke (with pretty darn high action that I haven't yet fixed) and my kid has a cheapy soprano uke that actually sounds pretty nice. I keep gravitating toward playing her instrument because my fretting hand doesn't cramp so much. This cramping seems odd because I'm used to a guitar & I figured the smaller fret board on the soprano would actually be harder to get used to.

Edited to add: it could also be because of how I'm holding them -- I'm finding the soprano feels more balanced and is more easily nestled into my body -- with the concert I think I might be holding too much weight in my fretting hand?

I bought both from Guitar Center and they have a 90 day return policy. I can't decide if I should trade the concert for a soprano -- or file down the bridge of the concert uke making it easier to play but also making it so I can't exchange it.

I've been playing for a month or so now.

What do y'all think?

High action can make the uke harder to play as can higher string tension. If you're not happy with the sound of the concert, I'd say trade it. If you are happy with the sound, I'd say get it setup (either professionally or by yourself if you're comfortable doing it) and see if that helps. If that's not enough, try tuning down a half step or two and see if that helps.

...it could also be because of how I'm holding them -- I'm finding the soprano feels more balanced and is more easily nestled into my body -- with the concert I think I might be holding too much weight in my fretting hand?

I think you've correctly answered your own question. It's difficult to support the instrument with the left hand, and fret it too. The end result is hand pain, and sloppy playing.

It's a total myth that the larger ukes are easier to play. I went from 25 years of playing guitar, straight to soprano ukes, and never looked back. To me, it's actually the ideal instrument size, with little if any down side.

Try holding it different. I don't even hold the weight of my Uke, I rest it on my leg where it meets my body. You can also buy a ukulele strap or I think they're called Uke leashes. A bunch of members on here love em.

There are hundreds of ideas about how to hold the uke. One of the main ideas is "whatever works for you", which I believe is the wrong thing to tell any beginner. That philosophy also means that people who have played for years haven't learned anything worth sharing.

I am all for the above suggestions about checking the setup to see if it is optimal for you, using a strap or resting it on the leg. My belief is that neither the right hand nor the left hand should be keeping the ukulele up, both those hands have more important stuff to do like fretting, strumming and picking. Play whatever size uke you want, but figure out how to keep the uke up without your hands.

Play whatever size uke you want, but figure out how to keep the uke up without your hands.
Yes! I am a huge believer in expertise & in learning from folks who know more (and in this case a whole lot more) than me. That's why I'm having trouble pin pointing if this is the "fault" of the uke's action, size, or user. I hate to trade it for a different size if this is mostly user error that better technique would solve. But then again, I'd rather practice & get better on an instrument that's a pleasure to play.

Try holding it different. I don't even hold the weight of my Uke, I rest it on my leg where it meets my body. You can also buy a ukulele strap or I think they're called Uke leashes. A bunch of members on here love em.

I haven't found a non-awkward way to prop it on my knee without holding it very vertical (classical guitar style) which is awkward for its own reasons. Those uke leashes look cool! I might have to rig up something like that!

This is one of many reasons I wish I had an in-person teacher! Soon enough!

Last edited:
I haven't found a non-awkward way to prop it on my knee without holding it very vertical (classical guitar style) which is awkward for its own reasons.

I hold it completely horizontal on my leg, but I turn my legs to my left so the Uke is straight with my body.

I haven't found a non-awkward way to prop it on my knee without holding it very vertical (classical guitar style) which is awkward for its own reasons.

If I could go back in time and give my beginning-uke-player self some advice, it would be: get a strap button installed! I played for nearly two years without a strap, and was amazed at how much more comfortable it was, and how much better my playing was, when I finally went for the strap button.

This is what my method looks like when I'm playing
Screenshot (6).jpg

I'm literally not even holding up the body of my uke.

get a strap button installed!

Ditto

I haven't found a non-awkward way to prop it on my knee without holding it very vertical (classical guitar style) which is awkward for its own reasons. Those uke leashes look cool! I might have to rig up something like that!

Many people have a number of ukuleles and don't have trouble switching from one to the next. I am more comfortable with one ukulele, (a tenor), and that is all I play. Maybe you could spend a few hours playing sopranos at the Guitar Center. Maybe soprano is your size.

I've had to correct some pretty "wonky" positions used by beginners in my class with their fretting hand....would cause cramps in anyone....a likely cause of your problem. Also, some hand stretching may be in order. Review some of these tutorials. Also, if I try and play a uke using the guitar "thumb wrap" technique, my hand will get cramped too. That's why most of us use the classical guitar, thumb centered on the neck grip. Most ukers don't use a strap, but if it adds to your enjoyment, get one. Also, avoid slippery, mostly all-synthetic fabrics....very difficult to keep the uke from slipping on them. I don't usually let my uke come in contact with my thigh/knee either...perhaps very light, incidental contact. I use my forearm on my strumming arm to press the uke against my body. Attend your local uke club for personal attention on the matter and to try different sized ukes.

https://www.google.com/#q=youtube+fretting+hand+position+ukulele

Last edited:
Here is another advocate for using a strap and using proper ergonomics while playing. Cramping would be an indication that you're doing something wrong, maybe squeezing the neck too hard?

It's a total myth that the larger ukes are easier to play.

It's not a myth that I find a soprano harder to hold than a concert, and it's not a myth that I have an easier time going up a concert neck than a soprano neck. I find sopranos to be more slippery and it's easier to mute them if you don't use a strap.

We're not all the same.

As seen in the still on the above video straps lead to holding the back of the ukulele against your body which deadens the sound greatly. Strap buttons are a deal killer for me on used ukuleles as well. Here is a simple video I found a few years ago that got me started in the right direction.

After watching the video for shits and giggles I started noticing holding the ukulele with just my arm pressure I could force the fret board into my fingers instead of squeezing or pressing down on it. Chords can be fretted without the use of your left thumb altogether this way.

Hope it helps.
~AL~

Sounds like maybe the way you are holding onto it, I'm only a newbie around here, but I have not had any cramping in my hands.

Maybe try holding it at around 45 degrees while sitting down might help, I tend to stand with mine, & the only one that I'm using a strap on at the moment is my RISA, but that is a totally different shape.

Regarding straps, try tying some string/chord around the waist of the uke & then tie it at the headstock, that will give you an idea if a strap is what you need.

Strap buttons are a deal killer for me

For me, too, mostly for aesthetic reasons. I do think a strap is immensely useful, perhaps even more so when you are starting out and want to simplify things a bit. I feel the Uke Leash is a good compromise, and it helps with the transition to not using a strap, if that is desired. The Uke Leash was a key part of what kept me playing when the initial frustrations set in (when E minor surfaced).

There are some fine tips above. Hand cramping may also arise from arthritis, or other hand issues. I have some of the age associated issues. If your fretting hand is otherwise perfectly well, it is, as mentioned above, likely a positioning and pressure issue. Make sure you do not support the ukulele with the web between the thumb and index finger of your fretting hand, which often leads to hand cramping.

I would get the uke's action lowered, and try a Uke Leash to see if that helps you, before going to strap buttons. I'm sure the combination of holding up the headstock and having to push harder on the strings isn't helping you. And if you decide to sell it later, the next owner will appreciate having lower action.

Another factor that you might consider is the neck thickness. I found that there can be a great range of neck thicknesses and different neck shapes. It is possible that you will prefer a thicker or thinner neck.

String tension is another factor. You can get soft tension strings, which will be quieter, but easier to hold down.

If you have been playing guitar, chances are you are using a "death grip" on that little uke. Try a lighter touch.

A strap will help a lot.
–Lori

Top Bottom