Baritone strings

Marks1stwife

Reaction score
I don't know if this is in the correct place, my Baritone "eats" Aquila wound strings, is there a more robust, nice sounding, string sets out there.
The 2 wound strings always start unwinding at the 3rd fret, usually after about 6 songs
It is has Lower D sets of strings (or do I need a luthier to see if the fret has a sharp edge,,,,,the 2 nylgut strings have no signs of wear)
Thanks for any advice
Gillian

Wound strings do separate, but 6 songs sounds quick. I would have the fret checked. There are baritone sets with all unwound. I use Living Waters by Ken Middleton.

Have the frets checked first. You can always change strings if you want but Aquila baritone strings last at least 12 months for me if not longer.

Anthony

Have the frets checked first. You can always change strings if you want but Aquila baritone strings last at least 12 months for me if not longer.

Anthony

I've had the same experience as Anthony. Check your frets.

Aquila wound strings are quite fragile. What you are experiencing is quite typical.

I use classical guitar strings.. the ADGB strings of a classical guitar set = dgbe on baritone uke. D'addario pro arte regular or light tension works well ;) Savarez if you want some extra volume

I dont think there is anything wrong with your uke

Aquila wound strings are quite fragile. What you are experiencing is quite typical.

I use classical guitar strings.. the ADGB strings of a classical guitar set = dgbe on baritone uke. D'addario pro arte regular or light tension works well ;) Savarez if you want some extra volume

Thanks! I am only in a "little old lady group" of 6, 4 of which are quiet sopranos, so I don't need a huge amount of noise. I was concerned that the guitar strings may be too strong for the non-braced Baritone neck, but if you have had no problems I'll give it a go

Try the daddario titanium also, they have been pretty reliable for me.

Yes sharp frets may be the cause, if they feel sharp running your fingers across them, file them smooth
BTW, love your uu user name Gillian :)

Thanks! I am only in a "little old lady group" of 6, 4 of which are quiet sopranos, so I don't need a huge amount of noise. I was concerned that the guitar strings may be too strong for the non-braced Baritone neck, but if you have had no problems I'll give it a go

Make sure the strings are classical guitar strings and not steel. You can also buy a single wound guitar strings if you like the other 2 Aquilas. Or if you follow the advice of kissing, you can use 4 strings from a set or just the A and D strings. But as others have said it sure sounds like there is a fret issue. I use Aquila concert strings on my baritone and the wound string is holding up fine.

John

is there a big difference in tension with the classical strings? don't want to screw up the neck on my baritone. I still have a pack of d'addario nyltech baritones waiting for the next string change and I like to play strings until they are really really dead.

I've had the same experience as Anthony. Check your frets.

thanks guys I have had this set on for 4 weeks, put a capo on this morning and D G have separated
What is your opinion on replacing with guitar strings...Will the tension distort the neck?

Yes sharp frets may be the cause, if they feel sharp running your fingers across them, file them smooth
BTW, love your uu user name Gillian :)
Chose this name as Gillian is really common and my surname is the most common! It is really hard coming up with a name unused by others!
Do I use a nail file or some fine sand paper
Thanks

thanks guys I have had this set on for 4 weeks, put a capo on this morning and D G have separated
What is your opinion on replacing with guitar strings...Will the tension distort the neck?

Not at all (taking into consideration that you're using classical guitar strings).

A classical guitar string and a ukulele string are both considered "tie end" strings. As long as the gauge that you're replacing the D and G strings with is the same, they're probably the exact same.

is there a big difference in tension with the classical strings? don't want to screw up the neck on my baritone. I still have a pack of d'addario nyltech baritones waiting for the next string change and I like to play strings until they are really really dead.

Baritone ukulele strings ARE classical guitar strings. I'm amazed at the number of people who do not immediately make this connection.
Structurally, an ukulele is very much like a small, 4-stringed classical guitar.

If you use the ADGB strings from a classical guitar set, they are essentially the correct tension for use on a baritone uke and are identical.
There is no risk to the baritone ukulele. Classical guitars are braced in much the same way, and do not require truss rods like steel-string guitars do.

In fact, to go even further, if you use the DGBE strings from a classical guitar set, they tune up to GCEA on soprano/concert/tenor ukuleles!
Proof of this is that D'addario Pro-Arte's come in Classical and Ukulele sets.
The Concert Ukulele D'addario Pro-Arte set corresponds identically to the DGBE strings from the Pro-Arte Classical Guitar set (regular tension), except you get a wound string that you can use as low-G.

The Tenor Ukulele D'addario Pro-Arte set corresponds identically to the DGBE of the Pro-Arte Classical High Tension set.
If you have spare time - go look it up and see for yourself ;)

I primarily use low-G on my Soprano/Concert/Tenor ukuleles, and use classical guitar strings exclusively due to the wider availability of them, as well as better price and value (you can get 2 sets of ukulele length strings from a classical guitar set).

Furthermore, you get a lot more options in Baritone string selection if you use Classical Guitar sets. There is not as many readily available "baritone ukulele string" sets that I can just purchase locally.

So in summary.

Classical Guitar ADGB strings (regular tension) = DGBE on baritone ukulele
Classical Guitar DGBE strings (regular tension) = GCEA on soprano/concert/tenor
Classical Guitar DGBE strings (light tension) = GCEA on baritone ukulele

Obviously you can experiment with DGBE tuning on Tenor ukulele if you use ADGB from a Hard Tension Classical guitar set (higher tension to compensate for shorter scale length).

Last edited:
I have always found the wound strings don't last very well, and now I only use non-wound strings on all my ukes. SouthCoastUkes makes sets of these for everything.

Sopher

You can try guitar strings if you want but I don't think that it will fix the problem long term if the problem is rough frets. I'd send the instrument to a luthier. You can cause more problems than you fix if you don't have an idea of what you are doing with frets.

Anthony

Is "rough" frets really that widespread an issue? I have gone thru hundreds of ukes, including the cheapest ukes in existence.. and have never found it to be an issue.

Aquila wound strings on the other hand..

Chose this name as Gillian is really common and my surname is the most common! It is really hard coming up with a name unused by others!
Do I use a nail file or some fine sand paper
Thanks

Id make sure if the fret is sharp, if it is...id take as little off as possible before you remove too much
Could be at least as once or two swipes of a fret file.. sandpaper depends on the grit. Tape the fret board
To protect it on both sides of the fret. Yes 6 songs and two strings breaking, it could be the culprit.
Ive had vintage martin with sharp frets, even a custom..

Is "rough" frets really that widespread an issue? I have gone thru hundreds of ukes, including the cheapest ukes in existence.. and have never found it to be an issue.

Aquila wound strings on the other hand..

If your wrecking strings in a few days then yes it is. I've had Aquila Nylgut strings on the same instrument for 12 months plus. Nylguts aren't really that fragile. I pick and fret harder than just about anyone here. I really SNAP the strings back and therefore fret pretty firmly too. I've never had problems with Nylguts including wound low G's and baritone strings.

Anthony

If your wrecking strings in a few days then yes it is. I've had Aquila Nylgut strings on the same instrument for 12 months plus. Nylguts aren't really that fragile. I pick and fret harder than just about anyone here. I really SNAP the strings back and therefore fret pretty firmly too. I've never had problems with Nylguts.

Anthony

Anthony, I agree that Aquila Nylguts are nearly indestructible.

However, what we are discussing about are the Aquila WOUND strings, which are not nylguts.
These I have found to be rather fragile compared to most classical guitar wound strings (eg: D'addario)

Top Bottom