Lyle question

According to Jumpin' Jim's Ukulele Masters: Lyle Ritz /I] books, the diagrams show Ritz used re-entrant tuning.

His late 1950s jazz records were all in linear tuning (and G6 tuning, like a baritone).

Darn! I just got the book of chord solos. I play with low G. Looks lke I'll have to "adapt" some of the chords because the melody note is sometimes on the high g string!

Darn! I just got the book of chord solos. I play with low G. Looks lke I'll have to "adapt" some of the chords because the melody note is sometimes on the high g string!

I have the chord solos book and have not had a problem adapting to linear or re-entrant. They are superb versions for ukulele, you'll love it in linear.

Do you think that when Lyle Ritz worked with Jim Beloff to publish the book, that they intended the music to be played note for note exactly perfect all the time? Or do you think that they might have just published a starting point for you to develop and work on and improvise your own pieces? And does it matter what tuning he used, or is it more important that you just use the tuning you use to develop and work on and improvise your own pieces? For a challenge, set up uke with an open tuning and see if you can make your own arrangement.

He pretty much provides a chord for every note. When I play all the chords it sounds stiff and heavy handed. So, I think he intends the chords to show you the possibilities but leaves the final arrangement to the player.

Top Bottom