Workshop Visits :)

Pete Howlett

Reaction score
Some of us get to visit our luthier who is making our special instrument. You are very fortunate if you can do that. However most of us cannot... Facebook now has a video LIVE app which I trialled today with three short broadcasts throughout the working day. The feedback was overwhelmingly positive as we presented some processes and talked about our work day.

I'd encourage anyone who wants to really connect with their 'peeps' to explore this. Unlike the days when I used to shoot video for YouTube and spend a good hour editing it, this is a live stream which can bring the workshop into your clients/admirers homes. Unlike YouTube you won't get Trolls making hurtful and unpleasant comments and you can control your content easily. It is a fun process that takes very little time out of your day and will help you connect further with those eagerly awaiting their finished ukes!

Today I demonstrated bending sides for a tenor and Tommy showed how he sands and fits a bridge - the sort of thing clients love to see. Tomorrow I am broadcasting hand veneer cutting and machine profiling... If you want to see how I do it tune in to my Facebook page at 10.00 GMT and 16.00 GMT. We also broadcast 'snatches' when we want to show a technique in less than 3 minutes!

That's a great idea, Pete. Love the idea of being able to witness the building process as it happens. Will be sure to tune in tomorrow and have a look.

This has been a great success on FaceBook. Tomorrow I am doing a workshop tour and live Q&A at 13.00 GMT - early morning for most of you I guess. Please join in - it's a lot of fun and you will get to meet the man who is going to replace me when I retire :)

Last edited:
Sounds great, see you at 1pm. Cheers

After experimenting this week with this Face Book app and having lots of fun I might add, we will be broadcasting daily at 16.00 GMT for 10 minutes. You'll get to see what we are making and each slot will have useful tips for you. Each month we are going to host a Q&A session.

We've had lots of positive feedback and would invite you to join us. If you don't know at Face Book Live, it is an interactive live streaming platform that allows you to communicate with a live video feed. Today we discussed our build philosophy, our logo design, the reason I live in an obscure village st the foot of Mt Snowdon and played for you... If you want to learn what I do please tune in :)
Pete

Pete, how do we see these broadcasts. I've been on your FB page but can't see any obvious way of accessing them(only the ones previously stored in your videos). Presumably we don't need an app to watch them. I'm talking laptop.thanks Mike.

I also have a question, I am guessing you need facebook for this or can one tune into your facebook page without being registered?

I don't know why you cannot view. Join my club page and you will certainly be able to do so. Today I demonstrated how to sharpen a scraper (as I was taught by an octogenarian furniture maker) and Tom showed how he strings up. I have also found a supply of Korina/Black Limba/Alfara which is fantastic and I bragg about at the start of the show...

Lets do a short 'Live' thingy when you visit me Pete :)

Still having trouble with this. Went to the club page and the live video link appeared at 4pm, clicked on it and got no picture but could hear sound ok. Can anyone tell me where I'm going wrong? Thanks Mike.
update- as soon as the live broadcast ended, I was able to see the recorded video no problem.

Last edited:
Top Bottom