NUD: Dual Pono's !!

kissing

Reaction score
I came home from work for a true delight indeed!

My long-awaited purchase from The Ukulele Site (HMS) had come!

1. Pono Acacia Baritone Nui (BN-1)
2. Pono Mahogany deluxe tenor with cutaway

The folks at The Ukulele Site did a great job setting up the ukes, though I did re-string them both with D'addario Pro Arte strings (I didn't like the stock Alohi strings that came installed).

Both ukuleles have an amazingly clear, warm and buttery tone. I am going to cherish them for a very long time!

Sorry for the bad photo - my phone camera does not do well at night time

Last edited:
Indeed, the Pono Nui is a baritone uke that is the size of a tenor guitar.

The scale is only about an inch shorter than my full size classical guitar!

Congrats! Nice to see you finally got them.

Congrats! Nice to see you finally got them.

Indeed!

In my case, I found myself putting on Normal Tension Classical Guitar strings (D'addario Pro-Arte) as one would on a normal classical guitar.
This tension and setup is just right for my needs.

I'm not a fan of the Alohi Baritone strings, nor using Hard Tension classical strings on them (personally).

If you like normal tension classical strings, try a set of Augustine reds. Segovia's favorites.

Congratulations, that is really something special to get two great instruments at once. The grain of the mahogany tenor cutaway is spectacular, I love the way it flows with the contours from lower bout to waist to upper bout. Enjoy them, you'll have your hands full for a while.:cheers:

Congratulations, nice ones! Glad to see that you finally got them, and that you like them. Great recommendation for strings, too. What is the name of the set you're using?

D'addario Pro Arte Clear Nylon (Regular tension).

Somehow it has inadvertently become my go-to string for every nylon-strung instrument I have:

1. Perfect for classical guitar
2. Use the ADGB strings (middle 4) for Baritone ukulele DGBE tuning
3. Use the DGBE strings for tuning a Soprano/Concert/Tenor to GCEA with low-G
4. Use the DGBE strings to tune the Pono Nui baritone to DGBE

It's simply my all time favourite string. I love how it feels, especially for fingerpicking and it sounds great - deep bass/mids with a subtle trebly sparkle.

A double Pono NUD!

Wow, that is fabulous ... congratulations. Two sweet looking and sounding instruments ... I need to sit down to recover from that news! :drool:

Congrats, they look beautiful! Two times the fun!!

I've never really considered Pono, I think because I've read they have "thick necks" and I have small hands, but the more time I spend on UU, the more I want one.

Beautiful; congrats!
I have an acacia Nui as well and I love it! Enjoy those beauties.

Beautiful x2! Congratulations have fun!

UU needs a thumbs up button. Congrats on the ukes.

Very nice! Now how much difference is there between a bari uke and a tenor guitar?

Congrats on a double batch of fun!

Thanks everyone! I'm having loads of fun on them, all day all night!

Very nice! Now how much difference is there between a bari uke and a tenor guitar?

A baritone ukulele is a 4-stringed instrument with strings designed for ukulele (eg: Nylon, Nylgut, Fluorocarbon, etc), with a scale length of around 19", traditionally tuned DGBE like the top 4 strings of a guitar.

A tenor ukulele is a 4-stringed instrument with STEEL strings like on an acoustic-guitar, with a scale length of around 23" and traditionally tuned CDGA, and is designed for Banjo or Mandolin players who want to experiment with a guitar-like sound.
Some tenor guitars have a narrow neck, similar to what you see on a mandolin.

In this sense, Baritone ukulele and Tenor guitar are quite different instruments.
You can tune a Tenor guitar the same as a Baritone ukulele if you want to though.

The Pono Nui is a baritone ukulele, in that it uses nylon strings and the width of the neck matches the profile of an ukulele (not banjo or mandolin). However, the overall size of the instrument is as big as a tenor guitar.
I would not class it as a "tenor guitar" - it's basically an oversized baritone ukulele

Thanks everyone! I'm having loads of fun on them, all day all night!

A baritone ukulele is a 4-stringed instrument with strings designed for ukulele (eg: Nylon, Nylgut, Fluorocarbon, etc), with a scale length of around 19", traditionally tuned DGBE like the top 4 strings of a guitar.

A tenor ukulele is a 4-stringed instrument with STEEL strings like on an acoustic-guitar, with a scale length of around 23" and traditionally tuned CDGA, and is designed for Banjo or Mandolin players who want to experiment with a guitar-like sound.
Some tenor guitars have a narrow neck, similar to what you see on a mandolin.

In this sense, Baritone ukulele and Tenor guitar are quite different instruments.
You can tune a Tenor guitar the same as a Baritone ukulele if you want to though.

The Pono Nui is a baritone ukulele, in that it uses nylon strings and the width of the neck matches the profile of an ukulele (not banjo or mandolin). However, the overall size of the instrument is as big as a tenor guitar.
I would not class it as a "tenor guitar" - it's basically an oversized baritone ukulele

Thanks for the info!

Top Bottom