NUD - Bruce Wei Arts eBay win.

KohanMike

Los Angeles, Beverly Grove West
UU VIP
Reaction score
I received the brown burst tenor uke yesterday that I won from an eBay auction early last week, it arrived much sooner than I expected. It's darker than I expected, the neck is slightly narrower than my other ukes and the shape is different than I'm used to, with a narrower upper bout, but it's built well by Bruce Wei Arts (I even emailed him if it's one of his or one he puts up on consignment, he said it's his).

It's all solid acacia koa cutaway, solid maple neck, solid ziricote headplate, solid ebony bridge, solid rosewood fretboard. It came with Aquila labelled strings, but when I tuned and played it for about a half an hour, the E string popped at about the 4th fret, making me skeptical they are real Aquila. Luckily I had a set of D'Addario Titaniums, which are slightly brighter than the stock strings. I still have to install strap buttons, and maybe a preamp/tuner & pickup, which I have.

I have to put it through it's paces the next few days. I'm not totally convinced I'm going to keep it, but if I decide not to, I'm going to donate it to the UCLA/Mattel Children's Wing music therapy program along with the five ukes our group will deliver that we donated to by way of The Ukulele Kids Club.

Done front 600.jpg

Done back 600.jpg

it looks beautiful! i see birds on fretboard? just wow. how much you paid for this uke?

The birds and the rosette are abalone looking, nice touch. The auction bid was $101, shipping from Vietnam $65.

They usually go pretty cheap, try searching ebay. Some seem to love them, others not so much.

The negative comments about Bruce Wei ukes are rather old, partly because for a good while he sold cheap poorly made consignment ukes by other builders in Vietnam, he stopped doing that. All the ones I've received from him in the last two years have been very nice.

Can you post a sound sample? Looks great ... curious what it sounds like. Thanks.

Can you post a sound sample? Looks great ... curious what it sounds like. Thanks.

+1 for Sam's request.
I am very curious to hear one that is a confirmed Bruce W. instrument.

Mike, can you take some close-ups of the soundhole, neck, the tuners, etc.
I really like the look of this sunburst tenor.

Nice score,
Johnson

Last edited:
I really like my Bruce Wei for what it is a $110 all solid ukulele. It sounds fine, and is my main player.

I replaced the stock "Aquilas" with Aquila Reds, and just recently put on a Low G

It definitely is built much heavier than higher price ukes. When I play mine, while it has good sound, I do not feel the reverberation coming through the instrument like I do with the Mele Baritone or Martink T1K I played at the store.

I am glad I purchased mine for the price, and it is a nice instrument. It just proves, all "solid wood ukuleles" are not made the same.

Last edited:
I'm working on doing a recording but so far none of my low end equipment is doing too well. But as I work at it, I'm finding I really like the sound of this uke with the D'Addario Titanium strings, has better projection and sustain than with the Aquilas (if they are), especially the more I get my chops back after playing only sporadically the last year or so.

Last edited:
very nice, Mike...I think you're singlehandedly supporting Bruce Wei!

Congrats Mike!
Mr Wei seems to know what he is doing. The photos you shared show some pretty darn nice workmanship. I love the contrast in color from the front to the neck.

Looks great Mike. You have a nice collection.

Thanks all. I seem to have been helping here and there with some companies. SmallGuitars.com where I bought the mini P-bass that I had painted surf green has sold out of them since I've been touting them on the Talk Bass forum, and Bruce Wei has been taking many more months to complete his custom orders since I've been posting about him too, and he does answer my emails within a few hours.

Vietnam seems to be up and coming for making ukes. I talked to Pepe Romero recently and he uses a Vietnamese builder for his line of ukes.

Last edited:
I've been warming up to doing a recording of this uke, but then I picked up my Kala, there's really no comparison, the Kala has much better projection and sustain. Not only that, I also tested the brown burst against my black mandolele, and the black is better as well. So it looks like when the UCLA/Mattel Children's Wing music therapy program is ready for us, I'll donate it along with the other ukes from The Ukulele Kids Club.

I've been warming up to doing a recording of this uke, but then I picked up my Kala, there's really no comparison, the Kala has much better projection and sustain. Not only that, I also tested the brown burst against my black mandolele, and the black is better as well. So it looks like when the UCLA/Mattel Children's Wing music therapy program is ready for us, I'll donate it along with the other ukes from The Ukulele Kids Club.

Maybe try one more string change. I tried the D'Addario Titanium and I am not a big fan.
I would try one set of fluorocarbon stings before letting this thing go.
Just my 2 cents.
Maybe spring for a good set of strings for the next player.
I am a big fan of the PHD strings.

My Wei Wei tenor sounded flat and dead and felt seriously overbuilt the first year. After sitting a year it is now comparable to my KoAloha concert. I think Ive mentioned this before.

Tried D'Addario Titanium on a couple sopranos and couldn't get them off fast enough.

~peace~

As inexpensive as this uke was, and my other ones sound that much better, I have no problem giving it to a kid in the hospital who would need it far more than me.

Top Bottom