PDA

View Full Version : NUD for Rakelele and Dave: Prototypes of the Pono Steel String Big Baritone (UL4)

Rakelele
04-08-2016, 11:21 PM
Sometime last year, my good friend DownUpDave and I both got interested in steel strings. We both experimented with tenor guitars, but quickly found out that most of them were too large for our liking, and more importantly, their fretboard was too narrow for some ukulele chords.

Coincidentally, we both contacted John Kitakis of Pono Guitars and Ukuleles about producing a new instrument that could, essentially, be considered a big baritone for steel strings and tuned to DGBE. My own proposition was something in between a baritone and their "Nui", while Dave suggested adapting their "Uku Li'i" terz guitar body shape.

As it turns out, Mr. Kitakis had been thinking along the same lines, because next thing we know, a couple of prototypes are being made and offered to us for sale. I got the Rosewood/Spruce model (UL4-30), and Dave the Magogany/Cedar (UL4-20). They are featured in these videos:

https://vimeo.com/theukulelesite/videos/search:ul4/

As you can see in the attached pictures, the UL4 is slightly larger than a regular baritone, but way smaller than a "real" guitar. With a nut width of 1 3/8" and a scale length of 21.4" this feels right at home for ukulele players. To me, it's the perfect size: small enough to be held comfortably, but with a body large enough to fully resonate at low D.

The sound is bright and clear, sparkling and chimey. It has a wide dynamic range and endless sustain. But of course, with its relatively small body size and only four strings, it doesn't reproduce the full bass of a Dreadnought. Nor should it - it's a new concept in its own right that picks up the specific sound of steel strings, but adds the sweetness we love from the uke.

To me, this is the perfect blend of a western guitar and a baritone, and a great way for uke players to make the occasional transition to steel strings. This might just be my new favorite instrument! I'm very grateful to Mr. Kitakis for making this new model, and for coming up with fresh ideas that blur the lines between common categories of instruments.

90068 90069

Now let's hear what Dave is saying...

DownUpDave
04-08-2016, 11:44 PM
Being at the right place at the right time is always a good thing and that is what happened with myself, Rainer and Pono. I dabbled around with acoustic guitar about 10 years ago, I love the sound, never really learned how to play. It did eventually lead me to the ukulele which I love and now back to the steel string sound. I love classic rock, country, folk music and anything played well on a steel string acoustic guitar.

These new instruments don't have the large sound of a dreadnaught but they are surprisingly full, rich and resonant. I received mine on Monday of this week and I have not touched anything since then. I asked Andrew about a pickup and he installed the LR Baggs 5.0 and it is amazing. Plugged into my Loud box mini this guitar sounds like.........a real guitar, look out Neil Young songs..... I love it. Here is a quick recording I did unplugged and acoustic straight into my phone. This is played without a pick, just fingerpicked and the strumming piece is with my index finger just like playing a ukulele.

https://app.box.com/s/w7kpdkc05x006evq5mcs7qkzvny603is

What an awesome company Pono is to have the foresight and the creative will to think out of the box and deliver something that us uke players have been asking for. It is as comfortable to play as my baritone ukulele. I can't say that about my other tenor guitar.

Here are some pictures of the Cedar Beast. The first comparison picture is of my Pono tenor and baritone ukuleles with the Pono tenor guitar. Next picture is the Pono tenor guitar beside the Blueridge tenor guitar and last picture is the Pono and Blueridge beside a Larrivee acoustic guitar

sam13
04-09-2016, 02:50 AM
Great post gentlemen. Congrats on your new purchases.

Rainer, I love the grain on your Uke.

I look forward to trying Dave's soon.

I enjoyed all of the pics comparing the different sizes.

And BTW, great sound sample Dave ... your playing is really coming along!

Alytw
04-09-2016, 03:35 AM
The woods look fantastic...

I must admit that coming from a guitar background, I was a bit sceptical when I read the original post a couple of weeks ago. I thought that the tone would be thin on a small body and without the E and A strings. But based on Dave's clip it sounds great. Nice depth and lots of overtones. I'm impressed.

(What strings are you using? just wondered if they were elixir 12s with all of those overtones.)

Either way, congrats, they sound great.

Adam

Rakelele
04-09-2016, 03:38 AM
Thanks, Simon! Here is another attempt of showing the difference in size (as well as a testimonial to my enthusiastic support of the Pono company).

Baritone Nui (BN-10D) - Steel String Big Baritone (UL4-30) - Baritone (RBSHC-S) - Tenor (ETSHC):

The second picture shows that the Nui and the UL have a deeper body than the Baritone and Tenor (almost 10 cm instead of 8 cm):

Doc_J
04-09-2016, 04:42 AM
Very sweet. I was wondering who got those beauties! Looks pretty close to a tenor guitar, but with a real comfy fretboard and bit shorter scale.

bonesoup
04-09-2016, 04:56 AM
Congrats Rainer and Dave! Pics and clips are very helpful. I'd love to give the UL4 a test drive. Sweet!

DownUpDave
04-09-2016, 05:14 AM
The woods look fantastic...

I must admit that coming from a guitar background, I was a bit sceptical when I read the original post a couple of weeks ago. I thought that the tone would be thin on a small body and without the E and A strings. But based on Dave's clip it sounds great. Nice depth and lots of overtones. I'm impressed.

(What strings are you using? just wondered if they were elixir 12s with all of those overtones.)

Either way, congrats, they sound great.

Adam

Thanks for the kind words Adam. You know where you have to go to play one in person. Adam came to my house and met Simon and myself and played a bunch of our instruments. He is fairly new to ukulele but is a long time guitar player and man can he play. Made my ukes sound real good.

There is a bit of a story on the stings. They were initially strung with light gauge for the videos but were switched to EJ 16 D'addario medium before sending them out to us. I did not care for those strings so I switched them to D'addario Silk and Steel which are light gauge. I was worried they would be thin sounding but they are not. I will be experimenting with other strings down the road

sam13
04-09-2016, 05:47 AM
Great comparison Rainer of the 4 Ponos. Nice looking Ohana, you got there.

SoloRule
04-09-2016, 06:15 AM
Its very very interesting concept .
This is a pretty large size uke with only four strings. My hearing and fingers would be looking for that bass strings . Dave's sound sample just confirmed this is not the case at all. It actually sounds pretty nice and crystal clear.
Can't wait to put my hand on it next time I visit downupdave. He was very excited talking about this new creation. Pono definitely think outside the box. I think this is a good transition from steel strings guitar especially when we developed arthritis as we aged.

Alytw
04-09-2016, 09:11 AM
Thanks, I would definitely like to try it out. I've never tried the silk and steel, they sound pretty good. Might have to dust out the guitar and try them out. (Strange- I thought the ej16s were light gauge .12-.53 not up on my strings)

PhilUSAFRet
04-09-2016, 09:32 AM
Congrats. Awesome. Beg's the question: has it been tested tuned to gCEA?

Jim Hanks
04-09-2016, 09:51 AM
Here are some pictures of the Cedar Beast. The first comparison picture is of my Pono tenor and baritone ukuleles with the Pono tenor guitar... last picture is the Pono and Blueridge beside a Larrivee acoustic guitar
Excellent perspective. You look at the first one and think "gaw, that think is frickin HUGE" then look at the last one and think "oh, I guess not so much".

has it been tested tuned to gCEA?
Seriously? To each his own, but I don't see why you would waste such an instrument on reentrant C tuning. This looks perfect for the deeper stuff - DGBE maybe fifths CGDA or fourths BEAD

Mivo
04-09-2016, 10:02 AM
I was looking forward to this NUD! Thank you for posting, Dave and Rainer -- and for the great pictures, too!

billten
04-09-2016, 11:09 AM
Really interesting look and tone too. I'm super curious how this does in the marketplace, hoping we will see a few more innovative ideas like this get through to being real products. Good job HMS and also thanks for the NUD guys.

sam13
04-09-2016, 12:27 PM
Rainer ... what strings are you using on the Tenor, Baritone and the Baritone Nui?

I just put Oasis Bright High G no wound third on my ETSH5 and really love the sound on it. It is the only Uke getting my attention right now.

DownUpDave
04-09-2016, 12:44 PM
:biglaugh:
Rainer ... what strings are you using on the Tenor, Baritone and the Baritone Nui?

I just put Oasis Bright High G no wound third on my ETSH5 and really love the sound on it. It is the only Uke getting my attention right now.

Stop hijacking our thread, this is about tenor guitars not about your "Ebony". Jeez some people's friends :biglaugh::biglaugh::biglaugh:

keod
04-09-2016, 02:28 PM
Lovely instruments. Great sound demo Dave, really appreciate it. Pono did a great job and we all benefit from your willingness to share the experience with us.

mds725
04-09-2016, 03:46 PM
Wow! Congratulations to you both! I've become a big tenor guitar fan and these look very intriguing, and they sound great! It looks like Pono was going for the old Gibson tenor guitar look with the body shape.

The thread title states these are prototypes. Do you have any idea when these instruments will be more widely available?

igorthebarbarian
04-09-2016, 03:48 PM
Dang these sound wonderful. These will sell like hotcakes!

DownUpDave
04-09-2016, 05:34 PM
Wow! Congratulations to you both! I've become a big tenor guitar fan and these look very intriguing, and they sound great! It looks like Pono was going for the old Gibson tenor guitar look with the body shape.

The thread title states these are prototypes. Do you have any idea when these instruments will be more widely available?

From what I have been told the first production run should be ready end of June begining of July.

Rakelele
04-09-2016, 09:10 PM
Beg's the question: has it been tested tuned to gCEA?

Being based on a Terz Guitar, using light strings, it can certainly be tuned up to Bb tuning (F Bb D G), which would be one full step down from GCEA. This is the tuning which is applied in this demo (https://vimeo.com/139910855) of the six string version. Not sure about going all the way up to C. I guess it could be strung re-entrant, but then you'd lose some of the body volume which is really meant to resonate at a lower pitch.

Simon, my instruments are strung merely by accident: Initially, I wanted all of them to have one or two wound basses, but with several strings breaking, I ended up with a set of unwound linear Worth Clear on both the tenor and the baritone. The Nui is strung with a 1st, 2nd, and wound 4th from Southcoast HML-RW, while the 3rd is taken from a HMU set.

To bring this back to the topic of the thread (sorry for the detour ;)): After recording the demo videos with light gauge strings, my UL4 has been strung with a medium set (DGBE from a D'Addario J17, I think) in order to produce a little more depth and volume. Also, I found light gauge srings to bend out of tune too easily, at least with my playing style. From what I can tell, intonation is more stable with medium strings.

Congratulations guys, these instruments will be well suited for slide with the steel string resonance.

Yes! I've been trying out a metal bottleneck; the resonance and tone are perfect for that type of playing.

PhilUSAFRet
04-09-2016, 11:37 PM
Wouldn't tune reentrant but linear gCEA. Some of us just aren't up to learning new tunings ( :old: some of us have enough trouble remembering the chords for a single tuning, LOL)

PS: How is this a long bari rather than a short scale tenor guitar? There have been many old 17 fret models that were as short as 31"...or a Terz guitar? I'm sooooooooo confused!

Jim Hanks
04-10-2016, 02:54 AM
Hey Phil, sorry I misinterpreted your first comment. (Often when folks have the mixed case gCEA, reentrant is meant.) From Rakele's response you could easily get C tuning by capoing at the second fret with his Bb strings. This would have the advantage that you could play a lot of jazz charts (which are often written for Bb horns) without the capo and with the chord shapes you know.

Rakelele
04-10-2016, 03:27 AM
How is this a long bari rather than a short scale tenor guitar? There have been many old 17 fret models that were as short as 31"...or a Terz guitar? I'm sooooooooo confused!

That's the great thing about this new intstrument. You can look at it the way you want: as a supersized baritone just as well as a small short scale tenor guitar, an ukulele with steel strings, or even a Terz guitar with only four strings. I love how it blurs the lines and fills the gap in between those categories. Only problem with that is how to name it (and as what to promote it). I think with the wide fretboard, the short scale, and the small body, it will be most attractive to uke players who want to venture into steel strings. But it might just as well serve as a travel instrument for tenor guitar players.

DownUpDave
04-10-2016, 03:47 AM
That's the great thing about this new intstrument. You can look at it the way you want: as a supersized baritone just as well as a small short scale tenor guitar, an ukulele with steel strings, or even a Terz guitar with only four strings. I love how it blurs the lines and fills the gap in between those categories. Only problem with that is how to name it (and as what to promote it). I think with the wide fretboard, the short scale, and the small body, it will be most attractive to uke players who want to venture into steel strings. But it might just as well serve as a travel instrument for tenor guitar players.

I know what I am calling it.................SWEET!!!!! :music:

mm stan
04-10-2016, 03:50 AM
Congrats on the new ukes guys.. happy strummings ..hows it on the fingers :)

Rakelele
04-10-2016, 03:52 AM
I know what I am calling it.................SWEET!!!!! :music:

Haha, right! In between the two of us, we have titled it "The Beast"...!

Rakelele
04-10-2016, 03:56 AM

You're right Stan, the fingers have some adjustment to do and callus to build up with the tension and hardness of steel strings. I was fine after playing intensly for a couple of days. After playing the steel strings, going back to nylon is like a massage... :D

DownUpDave
04-10-2016, 03:58 AM

I have a number of tenors set up low G with wound G and C strings so I am accustomed to the wound strings.

HMS did their usual excellent set up on it so playing it is as easy as playing a tenor uke, seriously great instrument.

PhilUSAFRet
04-10-2016, 06:11 AM
Thanks Rakelele, starting to make sense. Will this only come out in a Pro Classic model? Wondering if there will be an "entry level" model. Great suggestion Jim on that capo. Now to decide on this one vs one of the new smaller tenor guitars. New Pono looking pretty good right now.

MARKbOC
04-10-2016, 06:39 AM
Phil I think the base model is an Acacia that will retail for $1100

Rakelele
04-10-2016, 07:53 AM
Thanks Rakelele, starting to make sense. Will this only come out in a Pro Classic model? Wondering if there will be an "entry level" model. Great suggestion Jim on that capo. Now to decide on this one vs one of the new smaller tenor guitars. New Pono looking pretty good right now.

To me, the Pono clearly wins over any other tenor guitar model currently on the market, because most of them have a narrow fretboard which will give a hard time to ukulele players. All models and prices are listed here (direct sale is 20% off retail price):

http://ponoguitar.com/faq

FiL
04-10-2016, 03:17 PM
Man, combine these with Pono's announcement about their prototype octave mandolins (http://forum.ukuleleunderground.com/showthread.php?119826-News-from-Pono-Octave-Mandolins!), and I am going to have to seriously consider becoming Pono's #1 fan! Both instruments seem to be hitting a particular sweet spot for me (Terz-bodied shore-scale instruments with steel strings and either 4 single or 4 double courses). Hope they can live up to my expectations!

- FiL

DownUpDave
04-12-2016, 03:29 PM
Man, combine these with Pono's announcement about their prototype octave mandolins (http://forum.ukuleleunderground.com/showthread.php?119826-News-from-Pono-Octave-Mandolins!), and I am going to have to seriously consider becoming Pono's #1 fan! Both instruments seem to be hitting a particular sweet spot for me (Terz-bodied shore-scale instruments with steel strings and either 4 single or 4 double courses). Hope they can live up to my expectations!

- FiL

Hey FiL

I know we both bought the Blueridge tenor guiatrs around the same time. I will give you an honest but personal comparision between those and my Pono UL4-20, cedar top mahogany back and sides.

The Blueridge has bigger body, longer scale length and is strung with medium gauge strings. This does all add up to a slightly bigger, fuller, deeper sound. I want to be completely unbiased here and say the Blueridge does have a sound that I like just a bit better.

But........yes there are a couple buts. This Pono is strung with light gauge strings, so was my Blueridge and I found it too chimey, switching to mediums mellowed it out. I am guessing this will be the same with the Pono. The Pono does have more overtones and a more complex sound. I REALLY like that about it and with a little deeper bass it will be a real superstar.

There is no comparison when it comes to over all size and comfort, Pono wins by a mile. That is very personal of course but the narrow neck, longer scale length and much wider lower bout of the Blueridge make it a struggle for me to get comfortable with. If you are a guitar player it is probably not an issue.

I see you play the 8 string Lanikai a lot so you need to get yourself one of those Pono octave mandolins for sure. Same body and neck length as my tenor guitar with 8 strings wil be right up your alley. Kilin did an awesome job of demoing it, sounds fantastic.

Short answer to your question....they will live up to your expectations for sure.

MARKbOC
07-14-2016, 09:19 AM
If anyone is interested in getting one of these, now might be the time to look. I ordered one direct from Pono a few months ago and its finally finished / on its way. No idea how many were made or if any are available / going out to retail shops but thought I'd pass this along...

Patrick Madsen
07-14-2016, 07:18 PM
Just bought an Ebony/cedar (UL4-40) from Andrew at HMS. Jason is going to lower the action as much as he can,and will change to medium strings and a Pono passive pickup. I was thinking Misi or Baggs but have a passive on an archtop bass and really like the natural sound from them.

Will wait until it arrives and then decide which one to sell. It'll probably be the '62 Martin baritone. I keep saying I'll abide by the "one in/one out" rule but so far that hasn't worked.

I've collected more ukes in the 5 years of playing than I have in the 56 years playing guitar lol.

hawaii 50
07-14-2016, 09:03 PM
Just bought an Ebony/cedar (UL4-40) from Andrew at HMS. Jason is going to lower the action as much as he can,and will change to medium strings and a Pono passive pickup. I was thinking Misi or Baggs but have a passive on an archtop bass and really like the natural sound from them.

Will wait until it arrives and then decide which one to sell. It'll probably be the '62 Martin baritone. I keep saying I'll abide by the "one in/one out" rule but so far that hasn't worked.

I've collected more ukes in the 5 years of playing than I have in the 56 years playing guitar lol.

Congrats Pat...I saw Andrew today and he mentioned that you spoke with him and ordered the Pono...congrats!!

Rakelele
07-14-2016, 10:10 PM
Congratulations, Patrick and Mark! I love my Prototype UL4-30, might be my favorite instrument. So beautiful and different sounding than any other ukulele (or guitar). HMS has just added a couple videos of the new models, and I'm actually tempted to buy another one for my wife. The one in all Acacia and satin finish looks very tempting, and different enough to justify it next to my Spruce/Rosewood model:

https://vimeo.com/theukulelesite/videos/search:ul4/sort:date

Patrick Madsen
07-14-2016, 11:00 PM
It was yours and Dave's prototypes Rainier. We've discussed chasing that certain steel string sound. Hearing you and Dave's raves sounds like this may be it or close to it. I went with the 40 because of the cedar top and thought the ebony sounded a little crisper than the mahogany model. Actually it was a toss up on three. I agree, that acacia sounds really good.

Dang Len, that's so cool. It was like speaking with an old friend today with Andrew.

Boy, my first Pono!

Mivo
07-14-2016, 11:34 PM
Hmm, quite interesting. Since I recently got overrun and conquered by my Pono baritone, I'm suddenly more open to larger bodied ukuleles, and deeper, different sounds. Luckily, I can't afford something like this right now, but I think it made it on my short list of potential musical mates (there's really only the guitalele on that list, so far) to check out later in the year. :)

DownUpDave
07-16-2016, 02:01 AM
If anyone is interested in getting one of these, now might be the time to look. I ordered one direct from Pono a few months ago and its finally finished / on its way. No idea how many were made or if any are available / going out to retail shops but thought I'd pass this along...

Excellent news and congratulations. I know you have wanted one of these for a while now. Hopefully you like it as much as Rainer and I like ours.

DownUpDave
07-16-2016, 02:09 AM
It was yours and Dave's prototypes Rainier. We've discussed chasing that certain steel string sound. Hearing you and Dave's raves sounds like this may be it or close to it. I went with the 40 because of the cedar top and thought the ebony sounded a little crisper than the mahogany model. Actually it was a toss up on three. I agree, that acacia sounds really good.

Dang Len, that's so cool. It was like speaking with an old friend today with Andrew.

Boy, my first Pono!

Oh Patrick a cedar and macassar ebony model, very nice. The vimeo sound sample of that model is wonderful. My Pono Pro Classic tenor ukulele has the same wood combo and I really enjoy it, great sound. I hope this instrument fills that "steel string" void for you. I really do love mine and I am sure you will as well

Patrick Madsen
07-16-2016, 06:32 AM
Thanks Dave. i'm looking forward to it just have to wait the time it takes to do the setup

bariukish
07-16-2016, 06:54 AM
I've been following this thread since day one and I don't know who to thank first for the creation of this wonderful stringed acoustic instrument. My ul4-30 arrived yesterday and it has simply blown us away. Since my wife and I joined the legions of seniors with arthritis ( and other ailments too numerous to mention), we have been looking for something we could learn to play that would satisfy our love of acoustic music, especially guitar. After trying several options over the years we settled on our baritone ukes (DGBE, of course). Now we have daily song and strum sessions until the neighbors dogs start howling or I reach my limit of 2 malted beverages. It's the highlight of our day. The ul4-30 is EXACTLY what we have been looking for. Our new love has ease of playing a ukulele and the resonance of a small bodied guitar. It just feels good. It came with D'Addario strings and they sound great. The Pono folks tell me that it's O.K. to try about any light gauge guitar strings, so the first time I need new strings I might try an old set of Elixir lights that I still have from my guitar wanta be days. I would appreciate reading any results of string set trials on this wood combo.

A great big thanks to all of you involved in the development of this wonderful new acoustic instrument. I know it will become a "classic" and brighten a lot of lives.

Doc_J
07-16-2016, 05:52 PM
I'm in. After following Dave's and Rainer's thread, I've been jonesing for a Pono UL40 for months. Went with an all acacia version today after I heard this recent HMS demo.
https://vimeo.com/174701634

MARKbOC
07-16-2016, 06:46 PM
Got mine delivered on Friday [ebony and cedar] and it's just amazing. Sustain for days, crisp, clear and right in that sweet spot between uke and guitar.

Patrick Madsen
07-16-2016, 09:33 PM
Whew, glad to hear the ebony and cedar is good Mark. Congratulations! My E/C is not too many days away. Did you get the light or medium gauge strings?

DownUpDave
07-17-2016, 01:15 AM
I've been following this thread since day one and I don't know who to thank
first for the creation of this wonderful stringed acoustic instrument. My ul4-30 arrived yesterday and it has simply blown us away. Since my wife and I joined the legions of seniors with arthritis ( and other ailments too numerous to mention), we have been looking for something we could learn to play that would satisfy our love of acoustic music, especially guitar. After trying several options over the years we settled on our baritone ukes (DGBE, of course). Now we have daily song and strum sessions until the neighbors dogs start howling or I reach my limit of 2 malted beverages. It's the highlight of our day. The ul4-30 is EXACTLY what we have been looking for. Our new love has ease of playing a ukulele and the resonance of a small bodied guitar. It just feels good. It came with D'Addario strings and they sound great. The Pono folks tell me that it's O.K. to try about any light gauge guitar strings, so the first time I need new strings I might try an old set of Elixir lights that I still have from my guitar wanta be days. I would appreciate reading any results of string set trials on this wood combo.

A great big thanks to all of you involved in the development of this wonderful new acoustic instrument. I know it will become a "classic" and brighten a lot of lives.

I remember you joining the discussion early on about these tenor guitars. That is wonderful that you bought one and are so happy with it. Pono makes a very high quality instrument and these have a big steel string sound considering their relatively compact size. I hope you and your wife continue to enjoy making music on it for a long time to come

MARKbOC
07-17-2016, 07:27 AM
I went with the medium gauge. They are definitely beefy which is what I was hoping for. With that said, I'm kinda looking forward to trying light gauge out sometime. The depth of the sound was surprising to me and I think I might enjoy the added sweetness of the lighter gauge. but either way you can't go wrong, I'm sure you'll be totally pleased

Nickie
07-17-2016, 03:38 PM
Congrats Dave and Ranier. I think there's a new size uke coming out every year! In contrast, I just tried an Ohana sopranino. How cute.

iDavid
07-18-2016, 09:32 PM
I'm in. After following Dave's and Rainer's thread, I've been jonesing for a Pono UL40 for months. Went with an all acacia version today after I heard this recent HMS demo.

Looks great. Is that acacia or mahogany? Either way it is wonderful. What made you go with that model Doc? I am debating between the UL10 or UL20. Depending on what is cost to repair my VW...lol actually not so funny...

Doc_J
07-19-2016, 01:28 AM
Looks great. Is that acacia or mahogany? Either way it is wonderful. What made you go with that model Doc? I am debating between the UL10 or UL20. Depending on what is cost to repair my VW...lol actually not so funny...

It's acacia. Initially, it was incorrectly listed as mahogany on the HMS site. But, It's now listed correctly. From the demo videos, I slightly preferred the acacia model's sound over the cedar/mahogany and spruce/rosewood versions. Also Didn't mind the satin finish.

Hope your VW repairs come in low.

iDavid
07-19-2016, 01:51 AM
Good to know!

I like the satin finish also. I have a high-gloss Mango Pono Baritone with looks really similar to the UL-10. Are you going with the medium or light gauge strings for your set-up?

VW could be a bit on the expensive side. We moved from Japan to Germany and getting all those 220 appliance was painful. We also had to get two "new" cars... ya and expensive year.

HOWEVER... this is the instrument I have been waiting for so I may need to part with a few ukes. I may sell my Kinnard tenor. I love it but, find I rarely play tenors and I have three.

DownUpDave
07-19-2016, 05:14 AM
There have been some questions and discusion about medium gauge strings and light gauge strings on these instruments. I have done a lot of string changing and experimenting on my UL4 - 20 (cedar/mahogany) model. Here are some observations and conclusions I have come to. I also have a Blueridge BR TCE 40 tenor guitar which is much larger over all and has a bigger fuller more guitar like sound. That said the results have been the same from light to medium gauge strings between the two instruments.

Going straight to the results for those that don't want to read much farther: Light gauge strings will decrease the bass and increase the brightness. This is similar to floro uke strings, if you want a brighter sound go to a smaller diameter string. One of the aspects of the sound of tenor guitars and these UL4 Ponos I do not like is their characteristically super bright chimey sound. Because of the small body size in comparision to a full size acoustic guitar there is less resonance and more "string sound". This is why Pono switched from the initial light gauge strings to now sending them out with medium gauge strings.

I switched from the stock medium strings to a set of D'Addario Silk and Steel, my recording in post #2 were with these. In a nutshell I liked these the best of any light gauge string by far. The silverplated copper windings over a combination of silk and steel core give a mellower deeper bass than the small diameter usually gives. Sizes are. 011, .014, .023, .028 for the first 4 strings.

I have experimented with single strings sets I have made up as follows. .010, . 013, .024, .030 = very bright. 012, .015, .024, .032 =bright. 012, .015, .024, 034=still bright. I have even substituted the two wound strings with baritone ukulele.030, .036 wounds strings. This did give a nice deep bass sound but the tension was too unbalanced with the two steel trebles.

I have settled on Elixir medium gauge. 013, .017, .026, .035 this is about as large a gauge and as high a tension as I am comfortable putting on these instruments. Even then I have it tuned down 20 cents flat from DGBE to help eliminate the chime and increase the bass. I am chasing a fuller basser sound, some might like bright and chimey. In conclusion the diameter of the treble strings seems to make the most difference in the over all sound, anything under. 012 and it is very bright to my ears. Except for the Silk and Steel set as they kind of defy logic with their smooth mellow over all tone. I will try those ones again as saved them after I removed them.

Here is a sound sample with the above Elixirs I sent to Patrick Madsen

https://app.box.com/s/hnp54oir8vl3in97ykqub402c51k9cis

Doc_J
07-19-2016, 05:57 AM
Good to know!

I like the satin finish also. I have a high-gloss Mango Pono Baritone with looks really similar to the UL-10. Are you going with the medium or light gauge strings for your set-up?

I just went with the stock strings (I didn't specify). At this point I figured HMS knew better than me about strings on this model, plus I liked the sound in the demo video. I may play around with strings later, after I hear how it sounds live.

DownUpDave has some good recommendations based on his experiences with his cedar topped UL40.

cml
07-19-2016, 07:23 AM
Damn all of you, now you've got me interested in these. I LOVE the sound of the ul4-40sp! Not gonna happen, im guessing the neck is too thick, this being a pono, and I dont have funds for another uke atm anywayb but DANG, they sound great!

Patrick Madsen
07-19-2016, 08:28 AM
I would imagine the neck could be shaved down if too thick for a person. A thick neck is a concern for me also. Will find out when the ebony arrives.

DownUpDave
07-19-2016, 09:31 AM
I would imagine the neck could be shaved down if too thick for a person. A thick neck is a concern for me also. Will find out when the ebony arrives.

Hey Patrick and cml here are some neck dimensions for you comparing my Pono tenor uke, Pono baritone uke and Pono UL4-20

...........................width. ..............depth
tenor uke.........1-3/8"................0.780"
bari uke...........1-3/8"................0.790"
UL4-20............1/3-8"................0.790"

So as you can see it is just about identical to a Pono tenor ukulele. So close it is more or less just manufacturing tolerances.

cml
07-19-2016, 09:38 AM
Hey Patrick and cml here are some neck dimensions for you comparing my Pono tenor uke, Pono baritone uke and Pono UL4-20

...........................width. ..............depth

So as you can see it is just about identical to a Pono tenor ukulele. So close it is more or less just manufacturing tolerances.
Thanks for your input Dave :)! That's way too thick for me, my left hand thumb agrees much better with a thin neck like KoAloha or Martin (~0,55", very quick measurement). Funny how those 0,24" can matter so much eh (but in all honesty, I have never tried a Pono, but it's similar to the Gretsch I owned which I believe was slightly thicker than a Pono)?

DownUpDave
07-19-2016, 09:48 AM
Thanks for your input Dave :)! That's way too thick for me, my left hand thumb agrees much better with a thin neck like KoAloha or Martin (~0,55", very quick measurement). Funny how those 0,24" can matter so much eh (but in all honesty, I have never tried a Pono, but it's similar to the Gretsch I owned which I believe was slightly thicker than a Pono)?

I am a mearsurement and dimension nerd (cabinet maker in a previous life). Koaloha that I measured are about 0.660, Collings and Mya Moe are about the same (dial calipers used). Those are considered medium neck depth. I like a deeper neck but my Gretsch tenor is 0.850 so yes they are really fatties :o

cml
07-19-2016, 10:17 AM
I am a mearsurement and dimension nerd (cabinet maker in a previous life). Koaloha that I measured are about 0.660, Collings and Mya Moe are about the same (dial calipers used). Those are considered medium neck depth. I like a deeper neck but my Gretsch tenor is 0.850 so yes they are really fatties :o
I know it's a bit off topic, but out of interest, at which fret did you measure? I can do a better measurement tomorrow with a dial caliper on my KoAloha so we can compare :).

DownUpDave
07-19-2016, 10:40 AM
I know it's a bit off topic, but out of interest, at which fret did you measure? I can do a better measurement tomorrow with a dial caliper on my KoAloha so we can compare :).

Sorry I should have mentioned that it was measured at the third fret. Pono headstock tapers into the underside of the neck at the first fret that is why I measure at the third. I lay a .500" spacer on the fret board between the second and third fret wires. That way I measure from underside of neck to top of spacer, subtract .500" and it gives me the exact depth of neck

Patrick Madsen
07-20-2016, 08:48 AM
Here's a few photos and a sound sample of the Ebony/Cedar bari. coming my way soon.

https://vimeo.com/175500746

cml
07-20-2016, 09:56 AM

...........................width. ..............depth (at 3rd fret)

I did some measuring of the neck thickness(depth) today with a dial caliper at the 3rd fret and here are the results:
Timms Martin repro Style 0 Soprano: 14mm or 0,55"
KoAloha KCM-00 Concert: 17mm or 0,67"

So we're getting very similar results for the KoAloha, within the margin of error of manufacturing tolerances, just as you said.
Anyway for my left hand thumb, somewhere between 0,5-0,7 is probably what I can deal with.

cml
07-20-2016, 09:57 AM
Here's a few photos and a sound sample of the Ebony/Cedar bari. coming my way soon.

https://vimeo.com/175500746
Sounds and looks fantastic mate, I look forward to your NUD post and impressions :)!

13down
07-22-2016, 04:16 AM
RAkelele & Down Up Dave, thanks for making that suggestion to Kitakis! Great idea!

Rakelele
07-23-2016, 05:07 AM
Hodge, glad you are joining in. Looking forward to hearing what you think. That new Acacia model sounds superb, and I really like the plain and simple look of it.

Thanks for sharing your story, Bariukish. Reading it made me happy. It's exactly how I feel about this model, and I'm glad that it brings the same joy to others here.

Same goes for Mark's description. Very accurate, and precisely what I hear, too.

Today, I tuned my UL4 up a step, and wow, it sounded even lusher and fuller. I guess you can really try a lot of different things with this instrument. I think it could be tuned up even higher, but this would probably require a light set of strings.

Anyway, to all new owners: enjoy!

iDavid
07-23-2016, 05:35 AM
I'm in too. I need to decide between a UL-10 or Ul-20. I am selling a uke to cover most of the cost. Anyone know what he Pono satin finish is similar to? I have a Kanile'a sound master which is a satin finish. That one is a pretty close to no finish at all, I dig it. The other one I have is a KoAhola satin. KoAloha just redid is so I guess it would compare to their latest models. Seems like a really light gloss, more than the Kanile'a, but really thin.

thanks,

David

Rakelele
07-23-2016, 06:08 AM
I'm in too. I need to decide between a UL-10 or Ul-20. I am selling a uke to cover most of the cost. Anyone know what he Pono satin finish is similar to? I have a Kanile'a sound master which is a satin finish. That one is a pretty close to no finish at all, I dig it. The other one I have is a KoAhola satin. KoAloha just redid is so I guess it would compare to their latest models. Seems like a really light gloss, more than the Kanile'a, but really thin.

David, glad to hear you're getting one as well. After all, it was you who brought up the idea of a steel string Nui. The satin finish from Pono is great. Perfectly flat, nothing like the open pore finish on the KoAloha Pikake, and not as woody or nearly inexistent like the oil finish that Kanilea has now discontinued. It feels smooth like silk and even has a sublime shine to it. Up to this date, I haven't come across a nicer satin finish.

iDavid
07-23-2016, 06:15 AM
David, glad to hear you're getting one as well. After all, it was you who brought up the idea of a steel string Nui. The satin finish from Pono is great. Perfectly flat, nothing like the open pore finish on the KoAloha Pikake, and not as woody or nearly inexistent like the oil finish that Kanilea has now discontinued. It feels smooth like silk and even has a sublime shine to it. Up to this date, I haven't come across a nicer satin finish.

Thanks, man did I want a steel string Nui. HOWEVER, I really dig the smaller size of the UL. With the added info on the satin, I am pretty sure a UL-10 will be my choice. I've been waiting for years for an instrument like this. About six years back I started having finger issues and put my six string instruments in the closet. I found I much prefer four strings. My fingers have improved but my playing six strings hasn't.... hence UL-10. I just remember I have a mandolin I need to sell...

DownUpDave
07-23-2016, 06:31 AM
Great news iDavid about you deciding to get a UL4 as well.

With so many people buying these we need to form a club and get t-shirts, lol

Be Calm
and get your
UL4-on

iDavid
07-23-2016, 06:40 AM

Be Calm
and get your
UL4-on
Great Idea!!!!

good_uke_boy
07-23-2016, 12:09 PM

Be Calm
and get your
UL4-on

I'll take one in size large. (UL4-30 spruce/rosewood for me... :cool:)

turtle10786
07-24-2016, 01:03 PM
I love the size and style of the Pono UL-4 but I was wondering if anyone has considered using nylon strings on this ukulele. I understand that the point of this combination is to increase sustain and to create a more guitar-like sound, but I prefer the feel and more mellow sound of Worth clear strings.....any thoughts as to whether this would work or not?

Doc_J
07-24-2016, 01:20 PM
I love the size and style of the Pono UL-4 but I was wondering if anyone has considered using nylon strings on this ukulele. I understand that the point of this combination is to increase sustain and to create a more guitar-like sound, but I prefer the feel and more mellow sound of Worth clear strings.....any thoughts as to whether this would work or not?

Top has been braced for steel strings, so I don't think that nylon strings will drive it sufficiently. But then again I'm not sure what tension the steel strings will have.

DownUpDave
07-24-2016, 02:51 PM

I have heard of steel string acoustic guitars being strung with nylon strings. It will work but might not be optimum as Doc J says. I have thought along the same lines and I do have some high tension Oasis classical guitar strings ready to be put on as an experiment. The trouble is I enjoy the sound so much as it is I can't get myself to pull off the steel strings, I already have 2 baritone ukueles. But when I do I will let you know what I think.

Patrick Madsen
07-24-2016, 03:48 PM
Has anyone tried the Ul lil guitar?

Rakelele
07-24-2016, 09:42 PM

Turtle, like the Doc said, I would assume this instrument is braced specifically for steel strings and might not be driven enough by nylon strings. But Pono makes another model, the Baritone Nui or BN, which has a larger body and a longer scale (23" instead of 21.4"); essentially a large Baritone or Tenor Guitar made for nylon strings. It's the fullest sounding Baritone I have ever come across, super warm and mellow, so perhaps this would fit your bill:

https://vimeo.com/theukulelesite/videos/search:bn/sort:date

Rakelele
07-24-2016, 10:44 PM
Has anyone tried the Ul lil guitar?

Patrick, I would love to try one of those sometime as well. Might be the ultimate small guitar. They get great reviews over at AGF (Acoustic Guitar Forum). Pono also makes a nylon string version now that has a slightly longer scale (23"). Model name is ULN or Mini Nylon Hybrid, as it integrates a lot of features from western guitars. Personally, I would prefer a shorter scale in a six string (17-20"), so I have been trying to convince Mr. Kitakis to make a smaller model that could be considered a high quality Guitalele or affordable Kiku, to be tuned to ADGCEA. I think there'd be a perfect niche for that in between cheap toy guitars and expensive custom makers.

Cornfield
07-25-2016, 12:47 AM
How do these compare in size to a vintage Martin size 5 tenor or size 2?

Rakelele
07-25-2016, 02:19 AM
How do these compare in size to a vintage Martin size 5 tenor or size 2?

From all I know, these Uku Li'i or UL models are pretty much exactly like the Martin Size 5. Pono also makes a size 2 which they call Li'i, but while the UL can be had both with 4 strings and 6 strings, the size 2 or Li'i models are only available with 6 strings. Here's what they say on their website:

The Li'i is the body width of what was known as a Style 2, and the 'Uku Li'i a Style 5.

PhilUSAFRet
07-25-2016, 02:37 AM
I had a similar involvement with Ohana over the new taropatch but alas, I've been told they don't do things like this. Oh well, guess I'll just buy one like everyone else.

Cornfield
07-25-2016, 04:17 AM
From all I know, these Uku Li'i or UL models are pretty much exactly like the Martin Size 5. Pono also makes a size 2 which they call Li'i, but while the UL can be had both with 4 strings and 6 strings, the size 2 or Li'i models are only available with 6 strings. Here's what they say on their website:

Vintage 1927-1934 size 5 tenors are readily available at reasonable prices. Think I would rather have a Martin tenor guitar than a Polo steel string baritone. Just my opinion.

Rakelele
07-25-2016, 05:35 AM
Vintage 1927-1934 size 5 tenors are readily available at reasonable prices. Think I would rather have a Martin tenor guitar than a Polo steel string baritone. Just my opinion.

While the body size is similar, there is an important difference regarding nut width. Most classic tenor guitars have a very narrow fretboard to accomodate for banjo and mandolin players with their own tunings. The Pono model, however, has the same string spacing as an ukulele, which works much better for DGBE or anything with the same intervalls, IMO.

turtle10786
07-25-2016, 02:44 PM
Thanks for all the input.....I have considered the Pono baritone Nui but I'm not keen on the larger bodied instrument so that is why I'm drawn to the UL-4 instead (also I prefer the looks). I will be interested in the results if DownupDave re strings with a classical nylon set.

Patrick Madsen
07-25-2016, 03:54 PM
Pono mentions somewhere on their site the UL4 will not work well with nylon strings. They won't drive the soundboard.

DownUpDave
07-25-2016, 05:35 PM
Thanks for all the input.....I have considered the Pono baritone Nui but I'm not keen on the larger bodied instrument so that is why I'm drawn to the UL-4 instead (also I prefer the looks). I will be interested in the results if DownupDave re strings with a classical nylon set.

What I can tell you is I have had the two wound D and G strings from a baritone ukelele set on the UL4-20. Those strings gave the very best deep resonant bass sound that has come for that instrument. I had them paired with steel B and E strings and the tension difference just felt too weird so I pulled them off. So we will see what happens.

I am taking the UL on a camping trip and when I get back mid next week I will put on the Oasis high tension classic guitar flororcarbon strings. Patrick said Pono said it won't work so now I HAVE to try it.

Patrick Madsen
07-25-2016, 06:05 PM
Lol Dave. Have a great trip!

Doc_J
07-28-2016, 04:37 PM
My Pono UL4-10 arrived today. I love it. The satin finish and Acacia wood is beautiful.

This steel string Pono UL4 plays easier than many nylon string tenors. It is really a joy to play. The setup is perfect! Love the warm, rich sound, too. My UL4 exceeded my expectations. This Bari is much more fun to play than my tenor guitar. Its tone is much warmer and not brassy at all. I like the D'addario strings on it.

While the neck on this Bari is a little thicker than my tenors, it has a very comfy profile.

Had to make a short sound sample. https://app.box.com/s/70h4x3g3iyhxa2gnsclq08smuun9jlap

It's been a while since I've held a new Pono. The fit, finish, and attention to detail are outstanding.

MARKbOC
07-28-2016, 06:43 PM
Awesome, congrats. The acacia model looks beautiful and sound sample sounded great

bariukish
07-29-2016, 06:09 AM
Great sound sample. It inspires me to get back to my efforts to up my finger picking skills. The ul series are the greatest innovation to come along in years. Enjoy.

iDavid
07-29-2016, 08:53 AM
Sounds great Hodge! I ordered the same model myself. I spoke with Andrew for quite some time and am sure I made the right pick. That and I couldn't afford the other ones..lol

You have made the wait that much harder :)

I have never been so excited about the arrival of an instrument.

Rakelele
07-29-2016, 09:21 PM
Great sound sample, Hodge. Glad to hear you like your UL4.

Hey, all you new and future UL4 owners: I would love to see your instruments, so please post some pictures!

Also, the following might be important for prospective buyers: According to the Pono website, the model name has led to some confusion with their UL six string models, so it will now simply be called a Baritone Steel String or B-10, B-20, B-30, and B-40.

iDavid
07-29-2016, 10:45 PM
Great sound sample, Hodge. Glad to hear you like your UL4.

Hey, all you new and future UL4 owners: I would love to see your instruments, so please post some pictures!

Also, the following might be important for prospective buyers: According to the Pono website, the model name has led to some confusion with their UL six string models, so it will now simply be called a Baritone Steel String or B-10, B-20, B-30, and B-40.

What did/ does UL stand for?

Not sure naming them with a B is great for marketing. It classifies them as a baritone, but it is also a Tenor guitar in Chicago tuning. Baritone-Steel String wouldn't work... B.S. I get that. lol

Maybe something special like that way they named the Nui?

Rakelele
07-30-2016, 01:37 AM
What did/ does UL stand for?
UL stands for Uku Li'i which, according to their website, is meant to designate something really small in Hawaiian. While this is perfectly fitting for their UL guitars, which are much smaller than any other guitar model, it's different when coming from the ukulele: this new instrument is even bigger than a regular baritone, so my suggestion would have been to look at it as a Steel String Big Baritone, or SSBB "if you're into that whole brevity thing". Of course, it could just as well be seen as a small tenor guitar with a wider nut.

DownUpDave
07-30-2016, 02:00 AM
Hey Hodge I am so glad you are enjoying your UL4-10. The sound sample was excellent and does have that nice mellow sound with no brassiness. I am happy to have influenced your decision to buy this instrument................you have certainly influenced me in the past ;)

Doc_J
07-30-2016, 04:49 PM
Hey Hodge I am so glad you are enjoying your UL4-10. The sound sample was excellent and does have that nice mellow sound with no brassiness. I am happy to have influenced your decision to buy this instrument................you have certainly influenced me in the past ;)

Dave, thanks for the recommendation on the Pono UL4. Oh, and here are some pics of mine.

Patrick Madsen
07-30-2016, 07:07 PM
My UL4-40, Ebony/Cedar with LR Baggs pickup, came in late yesterday. Taking it out of the case and hearing the first strum had me sold. The sound rings out, especially using a pick. I can't find any imperfections in the finish or construction. Because it's ebony, it's fairly hefty but rests on the lap perfectly. The larger sized body is hardly noticeable. I was worried the neck was going to be chunky, it fits pretty good. It's more hippy than chunky. It just took changing the hand position a bit.

This is a keeper for sure. Great quality, nice low action neck and a sound that resonates the room. Thanks Dave and Rainier! This is the sound I was looking for and Andrew was a continual help thru the whole process. It couldn't have gone smoother nor been any more happier with the result. I bet it's going to sound awesome using a slide.

I just signed up for Soundcloud to give a sound demo. It's the first one and done about 45 minutes after I got it. The first tracks are with a pick.

soundcloud.com/pemadsen2000/sets/

iDavid
07-30-2016, 09:33 PM
Dave, thanks for the recommendation on the Pono UL4. Oh, and here are some pics of mine.

Lovely! Hope mine is as nice. I love how simple it looks, I find it elegant. Andrew told me the satin finish is close to what Larrivee uses. How do you like the finish?

Rakelele
07-30-2016, 10:45 PM
Congratulations, Patrick! Glad to hear you like yours as well. Perfect wood combo on yours, love that figured back. Very nice sound sample, too.

Doc_J
07-31-2016, 05:30 AM
Lovely! Hope mine is as nice. I love how simple it looks, I find it elegant. Andrew told me the satin finish is close to what Larrivee uses. How do you like the finish?
David, you're going to like your UL4. The finish is great, really smooth. Andrew is right, the finish is similar to a Larrivee uke I had.

DownUpDave
08-02-2016, 05:02 AM
Hey Patrick great news on the delivery of your beautiful UL4 - 40. It has fabulous tone and looks, I really enjoyed your sound sample.

I took my UL4-20 on a car camping trip and it was a big hit, took some ukes along as well. We do an annual trip with 25 or so friends to a different provincial park every year. The trip lasts about 5 days and the relatively compact size compared to a large 6 string acoustic guitar was a big benefit. Plus I can't play guitar, lol.:p

I got a lot of compliments on the sound quality and most people that don't know instruments thought it was a guitar. We had a ball around the campfire singing songs from the Eagles, Neil Young, Beatles, Neil Diamond, America etc, etc. This instrument was worth the purchase price for just this one trip alone. But I will be playing it and bringing it with me on trips for many more years to come

good_uke_boy
08-02-2016, 05:55 AM
David, you're going to like your UL4. The finish is great, really smooth. Andrew is right, the finish is similar to a Larrivee uke I had.

+1. I received my UL4-30 (spruce/rosewood) yesterday. Wow. I love the tone, playability, sustain, and finish.

DownUpDave
08-02-2016, 08:47 AM
+1. I received my UL4-30 (spruce/rosewood) yesterday. Wow. I love the tone, playability, sustain, and finish.

Congrats, welcome to the club......... your t-shirt is in the mail.:shaka:

Alytw
08-02-2016, 01:07 PM
Wow, that cedar Macassar is really nice sounding. Incredible clarity.

bonesoup
08-03-2016, 03:30 AM
Patrick, I love the back on yours. Like, really love it. Congrats!

Patrick Madsen
08-03-2016, 06:20 AM
Thanks guys, it's just getting better and more fun to play. The neck is not nearly as chunky as I thought it was going to be. The LR Baggs pickup is incredible. Trustfully, my UAS and GAS days are over with this UL4. It's the perfect size and sound that I've been searching for.

The big test will be taking it to our next uke gathering. I hope I don't get kicked out for having a steel string sound in a nylon sounding room.

DownUpDave
08-03-2016, 12:28 PM
Thanks guys, it's just getting better and more fun to play. The neck is not nearly as chunky as I thought it was going to be. The LR Baggs pickup is incredible. Trustfully, my UAS and GAS days are over with this UL4. It's the perfect size and sound that I've been searching for.

The big test will be taking it to our next uke gathering. I hope I don't get kicked out for having a steel string sound in a nylon sounding room.

Patrick I am so glad you went with the LR Baggs pick up. That is what Andrew recommended for mine and it is sooooo good.

Myself and two others are thinking of doing an open mic performance of "Man Of Constant Sorrow. Simon (sam13) wants me to play the UL4 but like you I am afraid of getting shat on by the leader for using a steel string instrument. This won't be for a while so let me know how it works out for you. Congratulations again on a beautiful instrument. I am very happy it has met your expectations.