NUD for Rakelele and Dave: Prototypes of the Pono Steel String Big Baritone (UL4)

Rakelele

Reaction score
Sometime last year, my good friend DownUpDave and I both got interested in steel strings. We both experimented with tenor guitars, but quickly found out that most of them were too large for our liking, and more importantly, their fretboard was too narrow for some ukulele chords.

Coincidentally, we both contacted John Kitakis of Pono Guitars and Ukuleles about producing a new instrument that could, essentially, be considered a big baritone for steel strings and tuned to DGBE. My own proposition was something in between a baritone and their "Nui", while Dave suggested adapting their "Uku Li'i" terz guitar body shape.

As it turns out, Mr. Kitakis had been thinking along the same lines, because next thing we know, a couple of prototypes are being made and offered to us for sale. I got the Rosewood/Spruce model (UL4-30), and Dave the Magogany/Cedar (UL4-20). They are featured in these videos:

https://vimeo.com/theukulelesite/videos/search:ul4/

As you can see in the attached pictures, the UL4 is slightly larger than a regular baritone, but way smaller than a "real" guitar. With a nut width of 1 3/8" and a scale length of 21.4" this feels right at home for ukulele players. To me, it's the perfect size: small enough to be held comfortably, but with a body large enough to fully resonate at low D.

The sound is bright and clear, sparkling and chimey. It has a wide dynamic range and endless sustain. But of course, with its relatively small body size and only four strings, it doesn't reproduce the full bass of a Dreadnought. Nor should it - it's a new concept in its own right that picks up the specific sound of steel strings, but adds the sweetness we love from the uke.

To me, this is the perfect blend of a western guitar and a baritone, and a great way for uke players to make the occasional transition to steel strings. This might just be my new favorite instrument! I'm very grateful to Mr. Kitakis for making this new model, and for coming up with fresh ideas that blur the lines between common categories of instruments.

UL4-30_front.jpg UL4-30_back.jpg

Now let's hear what Dave is saying...

Being at the right place at the right time is always a good thing and that is what happened with myself, Rainer and Pono. I dabbled around with acoustic guitar about 10 years ago, I love the sound, never really learned how to play. It did eventually lead me to the ukulele which I love and now back to the steel string sound. I love classic rock, country, folk music and anything played well on a steel string acoustic guitar.

These new instruments don't have the large sound of a dreadnaught but they are surprisingly full, rich and resonant. I received mine on Monday of this week and I have not touched anything since then. I asked Andrew about a pickup and he installed the LR Baggs 5.0 and it is amazing. Plugged into my Loud box mini this guitar sounds like.........a real guitar, look out Neil Young songs..... I love it. Here is a quick recording I did unplugged and acoustic straight into my phone. This is played without a pick, just fingerpicked and the strumming piece is with my index finger just like playing a ukulele.

https://app.box.com/s/w7kpdkc05x006evq5mcs7qkzvny603is

What an awesome company Pono is to have the foresight and the creative will to think out of the box and deliver something that us uke players have been asking for. It is as comfortable to play as my baritone ukulele. I can't say that about my other tenor guitar.

Here are some pictures of the Cedar Beast. The first comparison picture is of my Pono tenor and baritone ukuleles with the Pono tenor guitar. Next picture is the Pono tenor guitar beside the Blueridge tenor guitar and last picture is the Pono and Blueridge beside a Larrivee acoustic guitar

Pono rope binding.jpgPono full front.jpgPono posse.jpgPono and Blueridge.jpgPono Blueridge Larrivee.jpg

Last edited:
Great post gentlemen. Congrats on your new purchases.

Rainer, I love the grain on your Uke.

I look forward to trying Dave's soon.

I enjoyed all of the pics comparing the different sizes.

And BTW, great sound sample Dave ... your playing is really coming along!

Last edited:
The woods look fantastic...

I must admit that coming from a guitar background, I was a bit sceptical when I read the original post a couple of weeks ago. I thought that the tone would be thin on a small body and without the E and A strings. But based on Dave's clip it sounds great. Nice depth and lots of overtones. I'm impressed.

(What strings are you using? just wondered if they were elixir 12s with all of those overtones.)

Either way, congrats, they sound great.

Adam

Thanks, Simon! Here is another attempt of showing the difference in size (as well as a testimonial to my enthusiastic support of the Pono company).

Baritone Nui (BN-10D) - Steel String Big Baritone (UL4-30) - Baritone (RBSHC-S) - Tenor (ETSHC):
Pono_1.jpg

The second picture shows that the Nui and the UL have a deeper body than the Baritone and Tenor (almost 10 cm instead of 8 cm):
Pono_2.jpg

Very sweet. I was wondering who got those beauties! Looks pretty close to a tenor guitar, but with a real comfy fretboard and bit shorter scale.

The woods look fantastic...

I must admit that coming from a guitar background, I was a bit sceptical when I read the original post a couple of weeks ago. I thought that the tone would be thin on a small body and without the E and A strings. But based on Dave's clip it sounds great. Nice depth and lots of overtones. I'm impressed.

(What strings are you using? just wondered if they were elixir 12s with all of those overtones.)

Either way, congrats, they sound great.

Adam

Thanks for the kind words Adam. You know where you have to go to play one in person. Adam came to my house and met Simon and myself and played a bunch of our instruments. He is fairly new to ukulele but is a long time guitar player and man can he play. Made my ukes sound real good.

There is a bit of a story on the stings. They were initially strung with light gauge for the videos but were switched to EJ 16 D'addario medium before sending them out to us. I did not care for those strings so I switched them to D'addario Silk and Steel which are light gauge. I was worried they would be thin sounding but they are not. I will be experimenting with other strings down the road

Last edited:
Great comparison Rainer of the 4 Ponos. Nice looking Ohana, you got there.

Its very very interesting concept .
This is a pretty large size uke with only four strings. My hearing and fingers would be looking for that bass strings . Dave's sound sample just confirmed this is not the case at all. It actually sounds pretty nice and crystal clear.
Can't wait to put my hand on it next time I visit downupdave. He was very excited talking about this new creation. Pono definitely think outside the box. I think this is a good transition from steel strings guitar especially when we developed arthritis as we aged.

Last edited:
Thanks, I would definitely like to try it out. I've never tried the silk and steel, they sound pretty good. Might have to dust out the guitar and try them out. (Strange- I thought the ej16s were light gauge .12-.53 not up on my strings)

Congrats. Awesome. Beg's the question: has it been tested tuned to gCEA?

Here are some pictures of the Cedar Beast. The first comparison picture is of my Pono tenor and baritone ukuleles with the Pono tenor guitar... last picture is the Pono and Blueridge beside a Larrivee acoustic guitar
Excellent perspective. You look at the first one and think "gaw, that think is frickin HUGE" then look at the last one and think "oh, I guess not so much".

has it been tested tuned to gCEA?
Seriously? To each his own, but I don't see why you would waste such an instrument on reentrant C tuning. This looks perfect for the deeper stuff - DGBE maybe fifths CGDA or fourths BEAD

I was looking forward to this NUD! Thank you for posting, Dave and Rainer -- and for the great pictures, too!

Really interesting look and tone too. I'm super curious how this does in the marketplace, hoping we will see a few more innovative ideas like this get through to being real products. Good job HMS and also thanks for the NUD guys.

Rainer ... what strings are you using on the Tenor, Baritone and the Baritone Nui?

I just put Oasis Bright High G no wound third on my ETSH5 and really love the sound on it. It is the only Uke getting my attention right now.

:biglaugh:
Rainer ... what strings are you using on the Tenor, Baritone and the Baritone Nui?

I just put Oasis Bright High G no wound third on my ETSH5 and really love the sound on it. It is the only Uke getting my attention right now.

Stop hijacking our thread, this is about tenor guitars not about your "Ebony". Jeez some people's friends :biglaugh::biglaugh::biglaugh:

Lovely instruments. Great sound demo Dave, really appreciate it. Pono did a great job and we all benefit from your willingness to share the experience with us.

Wow! Congratulations to you both! I've become a big tenor guitar fan and these look very intriguing, and they sound great! It looks like Pono was going for the old Gibson tenor guitar look with the body shape.

The thread title states these are prototypes. Do you have any idea when these instruments will be more widely available?

Dang these sound wonderful. These will sell like hotcakes!

Top Bottom