Image size

Ukulelerick9255

Reaction score
When I post pics on here they are coming out very small and for some reason when others post the same pic from the same file they appear larger. Can I change anything in settings so the pics are larger.

depends on what size your picture is to begin with. I saved one of your Beau Hannam pic's and it was only 280x148 pixels, I used Microsoft picture manager and resized it to 1024x541, of course you lose resolution...most of my phone pic's are 4160x2340, I downsize them to 1024x? so they up and download faster for posting on the internet. Microsoft picture manager is very handy!
beauh.jpg

That's good advice, it also has to do with how you upload the photo. If you upload it directly from your computer, it shows on the post as a thumbnail, when it's clicked, it will open larger. If you put the photo on a site that has a web address to view the photo, you can enter that address, which automatically shows that photo full size.

Uploaded from my computer (click on it to enlarge):
Done front 600.jpg

Using a web address (I have my own web site that I use to store all my upload photos):
Done front 600.jpg

Last edited:
If you use photobucket or similiar you can change size bigger or smaller, or use the size directly which us pretty large

When I post pics on here they are coming out very small and for some reason when others post the same pic from the same file they appear larger. Can I change anything in settings so the pics are larger.

Ukuleleunderground does some serious compression on all image attachments. And it shrinks images uploaded from my iPad. The same image uploaded from my pc comes out twice the size.

All in all, it's very poor performance for a modern website.

Ukuleleunderground does some serious compression on all image attachments. And it shrinks images uploaded from my iPad. The same image uploaded from my pc comes out twice the size.

Man o man any chance to spit poison eh? Once you learn how to use the features of any forum you soon realize most problems are your own. Tablets are small crippled computers to start with I would place any blame there to user error or simply expecting too much from a crippled computer.

The first photo is uploaded from my computer as such it is automatically stored locally on the uu server. This is advantageous as any photos moved or deleted from photobucket or any other photo sharing site will still remain with its post. Great posts have turned to junk simply because photo sharing sites change their rules. Click on this photo and it is automatically sized to your screen pretty much as advanced as any website can be at this time. Another click will open it up a bit more and give you the same address as a right click described below.

my ukulele.jpg or this

attachment.php

When you enter an address for a picture there is an option to store the file remotely this will give you the small picture that grows some when you click on it. Again this is a good thing for the longevity of the forums posts. Want a bigger picture click on it then when it opens up right click and view picture. This is the address you either put between the BB code image tags or you enter into the address bar if using the add picture button. BB code tags for image are simple [*img]picture address here[*/img] without the *'s.

The large picture proves uu stores the picture the size you upload it. Of course if you start with a small picture all you will get is a very small picture. My guess to the OP is you are being sent small pictures. If you look on your first post the builder or inlay artist put up larger pictures than your. This is likely because he has physically larger pictures in the first place.

Maybe I'll write up a tut or grab one I contributed to a motorcycle forum in the recent past.

~AL~

Last edited:
I agree with Al, my experience with UU uploads is the same as his, UU presents what you upload, big or small. I'm a graphic designer and I always size my photos exactly the way I want before I show them in my posts, usually around 800 pixels wide (about 11 inches) and whatever the proportional height will be, at 72 dpi.

Man o man any chance to spit poison eh?

In all the threads I've participated in so far, the only forum members I've ever seen "spitting poison" are you, and the aptly named "down up dick".

I don't really understand why you feel like you need to make things like string choices, and website image resizing techniques, into personal battles with total strangers on the internet. Is it upsetting for you that other people have thoughts and opinions independent of yours?

interesting, I didn't know that...this is a test:
didn't work, pasted a url address...

You don't paste the url, first, above the reply box, you click the icon third from the right, then choose the URL tab, then paste the url in the field that shows up.

FYI: any UPLOADS done from an iOS device (from within Safari, Firefox or other browser), whether a photo or video, are reduced in size to something like 320x240 pixels resolution by iOS before you even upload. This is a limitation on all iPad, iPod and iPhone devices, and they do this to save on time and data charges when on cellular as opposed to WiFi. The reduction STILL happens when on WiFi connections.

Try just emailing something to yourself and you will see, as well as have your video shortened to the first 30 seconds, and that's it. The only exception to this forced reduction of resolution is if for example you use the official Google-made iOS YouTube apps to upload your video TO YOUTUBE, and then it will upload the native resolution in which the video was recorded, but this is not the UU forum so no help there with these apps.

If you want higher resolution from media files on an iOS device, you need to first upload them to your desktop/laptop computer and then from the COMPUTER you can do whatever you want with the native resolution files.

Don't blame the forum for this, blame Apple, but I doubt they will care about our little complaints at this point in time.

FYI: any UPLOADS done from an iOS device (from within Safari, Firefox or other browser), whether a photo or video, are reduced in size to something like 320x240 pixels resolution by iOS before you even upload. This is a limitation on all iPad, iPod and iPhone devices, and they do this to save on time and data charges when on cellular as opposed to WiFi.

No, there is no such limitation in iOS. Please post a link to your source for this.

This website html5 technique is called "pre resize", and is clearly not implemented well here. It is not being caused by the device, as I have uploaded full 8MB dslr photos to other websites many times from my iPhone and iPad, with no reduction in filesize whatsoever.

No, there is no such limitation in iOS. Please post a link to your source for this.

This website html5 technique is called "pre resize", and is clearly not implemented well here. It is not being caused by the device, as I have uploaded full 8MB dslr photos to other websites many times from my iPhone and iPad, with no reduction in filesize whatsoever.

I dont have a link to a source, just my own personal experience (been using multiple iOS devices since the first-gen iPhone). Last time I tried to upload any photos directly to a web site via Safari or the built-in Photos app, from my iOS devices when I ran into this was quite a while ago, when running iOS 7.1.2, and got frustrated with the limitation and have not tried again since, even though I have upgraded iOS versions since then several times, on the devices that could handle it.

Maybe they fixed this limitation in iOS version 8.x or 9.x, but I have not tried it. Sorry if my experience is not current. If it's working for you to upload native size/resolution photos from more recent versions of iOS on your iPad and iPhone, to other forum web sites, then maybe you are correct that there is an issue with the UU forum itself.

I dunno. Sorry if I gave bad information.

I switched to Linux in Dec 2015 for my main desktop and only use my Mac for doing music production and to backup my iOS devices with iTunes, so I am not as into 'following' the latest changes in iOS as I once was.

Please disregard my previous post above.

Last edited:
You don't paste the url, first, above the reply box, you click the icon third from the right, then choose the URL tab, then paste the url in the field that shows up.

that's what I did, from a facebook pic', oh well...

It's funny it's transferring as 280x148 the original file size more like 1,600x1,200

Well get a load of that eh?

In all the threads I've participated in so far, the only forum members I've ever seen "spitting poison" are you, and the aptly named "down up dick".

I don't really understand why you feel like you need to make things like string choices, and website image resizing techniques, into personal battles with total strangers on the internet. Is it upsetting for you that other people have thoughts and opinions independent of yours?

Personal battle? Independent thought? You opined that the forum was the problem not yourself or the crippled computer (tablet) you choose to use. I simply stated the truth, proving your opinion of the forum incorrect. This is not a battle yet you seem to have fashioned yourself a victim. How very amusing or sad but so typical of today's man.

Fact: This very forum stores whatever size picture you upload to it. This size can and will vary due to actual picture size measured in pixels and DPI.

Fact: My $40 Digiland tablet running Android 5.1 seems to work just fine uploading large pictures and also accessing the full sized picture stored by this forum. This further proves either Android rocks the house and IOS is inferior or possible user error on your part. Sadly it doesn't work with Square or my iRig acoustic mic.

Fact: This very forum which you claim has "very poor performance for a modern website" is working quite well and up to date in how it displays very large pictures that would break other forums. All photos uploaded to UU are governed by the sites "responsive web design" those linked to from external sites or even directly linked from UU as shown in my previous post are not.

Fact: This statement does nothing to help the OP.

Fact: I'm a pro tattoo artist and I would like to think that much like someone from Brooklyn NY simple opinions and thoughts do very little to raise my emotions. Though I do like truths over incorrect opinions and thoughts.

Fact: Anyone can reproduce the facts I proved in my posts here. If anyone has questions I will reply to most any PM looking for help. What are you bringing to this discussion again besides bad attitude, your "opinions" and your "thoughts"?

If you have issues with the way you think the forum works or how it should work take it here: http://forum.ukuleleunderground.com/forumdisplay.php?14-Site-Suggestions Otherwise lets not insult our intelligence eh?

No poison just the facts.
*drops mic*

:shaka:

and...I'm out.

Done with this thread and unsubscribed.

Thanks for the :wallbash::deadhorse:...

Top Bottom