NUBD - and an idea!`

greenie44

Big King Velour
UU VIP
Reaction score
I got a surprise birthday present a couple of days ago - a Gretsch double ukulele case, like the one shown here.

I like it a lot on first inspection - lots of pockets, etc, and it fits both my 6 string Lanikai and one of my other ukes well.

But then I began to think about an upcoming trip I have when I was wondering whether to take my uke or not. One leg of the trip will be on a commuter plane, with limited overhead space where I may be limited to a single carry-on. That means I would have to figure out whether to check my computer bag or my uke - and I wouldn't check my uke.

I was thinking I could put my computer in my suitcase, and check it if I had too. Then I had a brainstorm - and it looks like it will work.

I can put a uke into one of the compartments in the double bag. I got the bag out and my computer and associated recording rig fits snugly in the other uke compartment. Huzzah!

It seems like a good idea. Only one carry-on, and I can take a smaller bag to maybe carry that on too. But am I missing something?

Seems like a double tenor ukulele bag would be pretty big! You might be pushing the limit...

Congratulations, and Happy Birthday! You might want to check with the airline on size limitations/requirements, otherwise it's a great idea.

Thanks, PT. I did a little research, and this may not work this time. The overhead compartment in the commuter plane is only 9" deep, which is less than any of my tenors. I guess I could hope that I could use the closet on the plane, but if I didn't, it would be check city, which I'm not really willing to do. So maybe next time. But I live and hope . . .

Thanks, PT. I did a little research, and this may not work this time. The overhead compartment in the commuter plane is only 9" deep, which is less than any of my tenors. I guess I could hope that I could use the closet on the plane, but if I didn't, it would be check city, which I'm not really willing to do. So maybe next time. But I live and hope . . .

That's too bad. Or is it a good thing? Maybe it's time for a sopranino? :D

Happy birthday! What a fun gift. How much stuff can you get in it?

Happy birthday! What a fun gift. How much stuff can you get in it?

A pretty good amount - laptop, USB audio interface, microphone, mini stand and holder, and cables. I could probably lay a jacket in there too, and there is room for a small Kindle, a tuner, my phone and other flight essentials in the pockets. I think I might try it on my next big plane trip.

Top Bottom