PDA

View Full Version : Seaguar "Pink" fluorocarbon?

Soundbored
04-09-2016, 05:29 PM
Has anyone tried the Seaguar "Pink" fluorocarbon line? The marketing copy says it's "soft and supple". I don't know if that's good or bad for use on a uke.

I'm specifically looking for a .034 or .036 line for use as the C string on my sopranos. The D'Addario EJ99sc uke set is great, except the C string which feels a little low in tension for me. The classical carbon guitar set is too expensive to buy for one string, at $15 each.

Recommendations?

Down Up Dick
04-09-2016, 07:26 PM
No, I've never tried the Seaguar "Pink" fluorocarbons, but you seem to be really knowledgeable about ukulele strings in general. I'm sure they're very good strings. Probably everyone should use them for a better sound. I hope you find what you're looking for.
:old:

Booli
04-09-2016, 07:41 PM
In both of the Martin M600 and M620 ukulele string sets the C fluorocarbon string is in fact a 0.0340" and the whole set usually sells for like $5 USD like everywhere.

Martin is the ONLY pre-packaged uke strings that have anything thicker than the typical 0.0291" or 0.0320" C string that I have found in 3 yrs of testing strings.

Maybe just try the Martin strings???

Hope this helps. :)

Brad Bordessa
04-09-2016, 07:42 PM
How about something like: https://www.stringsbymail.com/oasis-gpx-carbon-3rd-string-normal-tension-034-4260.html?

Strings By Mail is great and you can buy singles of pretty much every set they carry, I believe. I'm sure you could find something there.

Soundbored
04-09-2016, 08:52 PM
Thank you Brad and Booli for the helpful suggestions.
I haven't tried the Martins, it's nice that they're so cheap.

Down Up Dick
04-10-2016, 05:31 AM
You're welcome, Soundbored. Good luck with your new string and have a nice day. :old:

Inksplosive AL
04-10-2016, 06:40 AM
You're welcome, Soundbored. Good luck with your new string and have a nice day. :old:

I like you Dave don't ever become a victim. Also realize you just have too many sub $200 instruments in your siggy to value your comments much here. :rolleyes:

*takes off battle armor*

If they sold Aquila reds on a spool I would invest in 4-5 spools.

Interesting read on fishing line. http://www.berkley-fishing.com/Berkley-ae-monofilament-vs-fluorocarbon-infographic.html

jollyboy
04-10-2016, 08:09 AM
Soft, supple and pink? Sounds like the ideal thing to put on one of those cutesy wittle soprano things.

:p:p:p

Down Up Dick
04-10-2016, 08:12 AM
Very good, jolly boy, but no comment--none at all . . . :old:

Pier
04-10-2016, 01:37 PM
The D'Addario EJ99sc uke set is great, except the C string which feels a little low in tension for me. The classical carbon guitar set is too expensive to buy for one string, at $15 each.

Recommendations?

may I suggest you to keep playing them for a while?

I'm using the same set, and for a couple of weeks I continued to dismount it and re-string the Aquila Supernylgut (which are harder in tension), because even if I liked the sound of the D'Addario better, the Aquila seemed to be better in balance, tensionwise.

however, it was just because I couldn't do two days straight without switching them... I've had the Aquila on for a couple of months, so changing to a different tension and gauge felt strange, and I always wanted to go back to them.

the C in particular felt too low in tension, compared to the Aquila SN, BUT I then understood that the Aquila's C was too tight, I just got used to it and to the set.

at a certain point I decided to keep the D'Addario set on, and now it feels wonderful on every aspect, and I don't even remotely think of changing back.

take this as an advice if you started using this not long ago :D if you've used it for a while, and still can't get used, try the Martin M600, they have bigger C and E, but smaller A and G.

spookelele
04-10-2016, 04:16 PM
I like you Dave don't ever become a victim. Also realize you just have too many sub $200 instruments in your siggy to value your comments much here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-LMLGuOkK6w

Booli
04-10-2016, 05:24 PM
Thank you Brad and Booli for the helpful suggestions.
I haven't tried the Martins, it's nice that they're so cheap.

Any time. Happy to help. :music:

Booli
04-10-2016, 05:35 PM
Also realize you just have too many sub $200 instruments in your siggy to value your comments much here.

Sorry, AL but I dont see how this comment adds anything to this conversation nor the OP's question about strings other than to create needless friction.

70sSanO
04-10-2016, 06:35 PM
Nevermind.

John

70sSanO
04-10-2016, 06:55 PM
^ +1

John

Soundbored
04-11-2016, 12:12 AM
Bill1 and 70sSanO, thank you for the thoughtful replies.

Down Up Dick
04-11-2016, 09:21 AM
Bill1 and 70sSanO, thank you for the thoughtful replies.

But no one else--only them. Poor us, put down, stepped on--ahh, well, at least we can say 'we were there.' :old:

Inksplosive AL
04-11-2016, 09:36 AM
But no one else--only them. Poor us, put down, stepped on--ahh, well, at least we can say 'we were there.' :old:

And we had a blast!

Sorry, AL but I dont see how this comment adds anything to this conversation nor the OP's question about strings other than to create needless friction.

And your comment to me adds to this conversation without adding needless friction how again...

monkey pulling dogs tail

I see it more like this!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SwPAW0HdgdQ

My post as a whole was informative for others who may read this in the future. I brought up the nylon vs fluorocarbon link without mentioning it was because the fattest strings I ever saw were D'Addario Titanium Ukulele strings. I couldn't get them off my soprano fast enough. It also seems like nylon string would be more susceptible to damage from long term storage if you read the link.

~ttfn~

spookelele
04-11-2016, 10:12 AM
Sorry.. you lost me with, "You haven't spent enough to buy cred. Here's a pat on the head though."

Inksplosive AL
04-11-2016, 10:47 AM
Sorry.. you lost me with, "You haven't spent enough to buy cred. Here's a pat on the head though."

Pat on the head? lol You need a hug? See DUD this is what I was talking about in PM so many say things online they would never say to a man face to face. I explained myself to Dick my concern being "his understanding" what I meant. You and Bill misunderstanding my comment as a cut on DUD is what it is. I love all my sub $200 ukuleles as DUD or anyone else should theirs. I'm the guy who blueprinted my smiley ukulele after all.

My string of choice being Aquila reds I feel would make very poor fishing line. Some ukulele strings are exactly that and nothing more. My 20's-30's Harmony IIRC $60 came strung with some type of fishing line strings. I assume they were nylon though by the feel.

~AL~

spookelele
04-11-2016, 11:09 AM
You and Bill misunderstanding my comment as a cut on DUD is what it is.

I object to the idea that those that spend more should have more weight, or that you imply that you can buy your way into cred.

Reality is money agnostic.

There are quite a few people with more money than knowledge.
And lots that have more knowledge than money.

To judge one by the other, is a reflection on you, not them.

Inksplosive AL
04-11-2016, 11:42 AM
I object to the idea that those that spend more should have more weight, or that you imply that you can buy your way into cred.

Reality is money agnostic.

There are quite a few people with more money than knowledge.
And lots that have more knowledge than money.

To judge one by the other, is a reflection on you, not them.

You keep believing what you believe eh? Your continued judgement of me here even after my last post is a reflection of you not me.

Again most every ukulele I own is under $200. I do not think less of anyone or judge them by the cost of their ukulele. To not derail this thread any further read you PM and know I'm willing to help in the removal of every post past #20.

~peace~

Soundbored
04-11-2016, 01:56 PM
You keep believing what you believe eh? Your continued judgement of me here even after my last post is a reflection of you not me.

Again most every ukulele I own is under $200. I do not think less of anyone or judge them by the cost of their ukulele. To not derail this thread any further read you PM and know I'm willing to help in the removal of every post past #20.

~peace~

Too late, you and Dick already successfully highjacked this thread with childish nonsense. I guess there's no moderator here...

It's sad that some people crave attention so much, that even negative attention is good to them.

wickedwahine11
04-11-2016, 02:08 PM
I have long ago lost patience with the immature pissing contests on this website. For crying out loud, knock it off. If you are not addressing the topic at hand, derailing threads is annoying and worse, some of you seem to be incapable of writing a post that does not contain a personal attack. I am issuing a general warning at this point, if some of you keep behaving like children, then you will have to be treated like children and issued a time out.

bnolsen
04-11-2016, 05:10 PM
the "soft" part might be a problem in that the strings might wear faster and get those little fret dents on them. martin m600s local, oasis for mail order...
i'm all in for cheap ukes as long as the intonation is good, the action is low, mostly buzz free and can actually ring out.

Booli
04-11-2016, 07:41 PM
A while back when I was considering getting a bunch of fishing line to try as strings, the smallest spools I could find were 25 yard lengths.

If you are just getting single weight lbs/test it's not a big deal, but I have lots of ukes so I was looking at getting the Seaguars leader in 20#-80# in all 10# increments and the cost was over $150 for what seemed like a lifetime commitment to just one kind of string for ALL ukes, that I'd feel obligated to use, even if it was not the sound/feel I wanted for that uke.

Some folks say 'strings dont matter' or 'they all sound the same' and while certainly they are entitled to such an opinion, but I beg to differ and tell them that my experience has shown that depending upon the uke, strings can have a great deal of effect upon a) the sound, b) the sustain, c) the tension and d) the feel under the fingers. Maybe some folks dont care about these things, but *I* do and that is why I have tested a huge variety of strings on all of my ukes over the past 2 yrs....

Dirk from Southcoast has said (I'm paraphrasing here) that buying 25 yard spools as an individual person, kind of sets up a trap for you, in that you end up with the best uke for the strings, instead of best strings for the uke.

Maybe for a classroom setup, or sort of 'group buy' for a large ukulele club it makes more sense. Even with more than a dozen ukes, I just dont see myself every using 7x 25yd spools of fluorocarbon in this lifetime. I simply do not have to change strings that often.

Maybe this is how Ken Middleton's Living Water or the Oasis strings do it, and can have a business at it, but I'd got no interest in doing something like that.

anyway - sorry if I went astray from the main topic, but I'm sure some of you have got to be thinking about just going all fluoro fishing leader once in a while when these threads come up...

Pier
04-11-2016, 10:26 PM
I totally quote Booli. Being a guitar and bass player, I've always gave importance to strings.
Gauge, tension (not always related, depending on materials), feeling, sound... They can make some instruments sound good and comfortable, other impossibile to play.

My Stratocaster prefers 09-42 strings, but works well with 08-38 (so thin! Mark knopfler style), but my SG sounds better with 09-46 or bigger strings.
Not talking about winding materials or shape (roundwound, flatwound... Nickel, steel...)

With bass is the same, not every string set works the same.

I have only two ukuleles, but by far I already tried three sets, and they do not work equally.
My laminated uke sounds best with Aquila new nylgut, being a bit too bright and dry with d'addario carbon (ej99sc) and dull with Aquila super nylgut.
My Ohana sk38 plays wonderfully with D'addario ej99sc, nice and mellow with Super nylgut and halfway between them with new nylgut.

The bigger difference was with d'addario. The ohana sings with them, the laminate is too dry/bright. At first I liked it, but after a couple of days I couldn't stand it anymore.

I can't feel comfortable with the idea of sticking to one kind of strings...

Buc-a-Roo
04-12-2016, 02:20 AM
Never tried the pink fluorocarbon on my ukuleles, but it is the brand I use for leader material when I fish.........great stuff for that application!

Twibbly
04-12-2016, 02:49 AM
I keep thinking maybe I should go raid Dad's fly fishing supplies when a string breaks...

spookelele
04-12-2016, 04:21 AM
I keep thinking maybe I should go raid Dad's fly fishing supplies when a string breaks...

Fly line floats. The density is bad for instruments.
Also, it's streatchy.

Twibbly
04-12-2016, 04:26 AM
Fly line floats. The density is bad for instruments.
Also, it's streatchy.

I was (mostly) joking. I have another set of strings, and I'm sure I'll acquire another when the set on goes. :)