Ukulele academy

krush050

Reaction score
I'm not sure where to put this, but a couple weeks ago i was looking for a pono or kala. I did research and found that there is pono and kala dealer in Wilmington, North Carolina called ukulele academy. This store happens to be 45 minutes away from where I"ll be vacationing this summer. I spoke to the owner and they told me they do everything that HMS does which i was pretty excited about! I'm also excited that i get to see the instruments before i buy them....never thought id get the opportunity! Anyways, does anyone have any experience with The Ukulele Academy?

I bought my Pono MGT from Ukulele Academy in Oct. 2014. I liked dealing with the owner, he is a great guy and very knowledgeable.

Great shop! I've purchased a uke there and try to stop in every time I'm in the area. Huge selection of ukes at all price points. Kent, the owner, is a a great player who enjoys sharing his passion for the ukulele. They don't have as strong an online presence, but along with Mim and Uke Republic, should be considered one of the premier mainland shops.

Last edited:
I've bought 3 ukes online from ukulele academy and the service was excellent. Kent (the owner) is excellent and answered all of my inquiries promptly.

Didn't even know about them before, but I will absolutely keep them in mind for the next purchase. They have a pre-owned soprano that I would have jumped on a week ago if I had known about it, but alas, I've ordered a different uke elsewhere.

Great shop! I've purchased a uke there and try to stop in every time I'm in the area. Huge selection of ukes at all price points. Kent, the owner, is a a great player who enjoys sharing his passion for the ukulele. They don't have as strong an online presence, but along with Mim and Uke Republic, should be considered one of the premier mainland shops.
I agree with jwieties The NC Uke Academy is a premier mainland shop. Kent is great and the shop has a huge selection. Once a year he has a History of the Ukulele concert. It's great, he breaks out his insane collection of ukes and plays music from all periods and uses different ukes from each era. Where are you vacationing this summer? I'm down in Myrtle Beach if you make it this way.

I live close to Wilmington and have been to Ukulele Academy many times. Kent is a great guy. He is very knowledgeable and has a great selection. Stop by and visit with Kent, play some ukes, buy a an instrument that is set up well and have fun. You won't regret it.

I've been there several times and bought my Kamaka Concert there. It's a great shop with a terrific atmosphere. It's a two-hour drive for me, but I try to visit at least twice a year. The last time I was there, I played different models for an hour or so and just couldn't decide. I've still got the money put away ... I'll be back there soon.

Top Bottom