PDA

View Full Version : Lacey and a lesson learned

Pete Howlett
04-11-2016, 01:09 PM
Without paying strict attention I shipped 2 ukes tog ether to the US at a value of $3500. An immediate red flag went up and I have had to fill the APHIS forms and the recipient is doing a whole bunch of form filling... I had forgotten why I all but ceased doing business in the US. Oh boy! And I have $7500 worth of instruments to send out this month to a single client. eeeeek. As a note to self and others. Don't export anything to the US with a value of $2500 or more!

BTW.. anyone know what a POA form is?

heyyoutoo
04-11-2016, 01:20 PM
A Power of Attorney (POA) authorizes the carrier to act on the shipper's behalf for completion of one or both of the following documents: Shipper's Export Declaration or Certificate of Origin.

These forms are available for download on line; I would check with your freight carrier's website first.

Without paying strict attention I shipped 2 ukes tog ether to the US at a value of $3500. An immediate red flag went up and I have had to fill the APHIS forms and the recipient is doing a whole bunch of form filling... I had forgotten why I all but ceased doing business in the US. Oh boy! And I have $7500 worth of instruments to send out this month to a single client. eeeeek. As a note to self and others. Don't export anything to the US with a value of $2500 or more!

BTW.. anyone know what a POA form is?

Pete Howlett
04-11-2016, 02:03 PM
None of this information is transparent... It appears that you have to authorize UPS to ask Customs and Excise (presumably a government rep in their building/organization) to release the stuff they carried into the country. So, I understand that. However why do they not spell out in clear terms, if you send something over the value of $2500 you are going to need this form to declare the origin and this one to release it once we have verified the first form. This is complete bureaucratic nonsense and can only be in place to provide someone with a job!

heyyoutoo
04-11-2016, 03:18 PM
It's a matter of great national security that our Department of Homeland Defense protect our borders from the infiltration of unauthorized alien ukuleles.

Regarding your comment about providing someone a job; you're presuming someone is actually going to look at these forms you were strong-armed into completing. I really wonder...

None of this information is transparent... It appears that you have to authorize UPS to ask Customs and Excise (presumably a government rep in their building/organization) to release the stuff they carried into the country. So, I understand that. However why do they not spell out in clear terms, if you send something over the value of $2500 you are going to need this form to declare the origin and this one to release it once we have verified the first form. This is complete bureaucratic nonsense and can only be in place to provide someone with a job!

cml
04-11-2016, 11:33 PM
Watch the red tape Pete, its sticky. And they have an abundance of it in the US.

aaronckeim
04-13-2016, 08:18 PM
Pete- You have uncovered the secret to Mya-Moe's success. We lobbied congress to halt all imports of handmade ukuleles. Its going pretty well, I think! :cool:

Pete Howlett
04-14-2016, 11:16 AM
Yeah - I am similarly lobbying our own Government but they have other things on their mind :)

Outcome - it was not as painless as originally appeared to be. Lady at UPS was exceptionally helpful and in case this happens in the future I have the forms already prepared now and all my uke parts weighed! I now know what to do to warn clients about the POA - one thing UPS has no power over but could be more helpful forewarning and preparing... However, a wiser and older man now :)