Calling Tiny Tenor owner about strings

SoloRule ... what are you trying to accomplish? What sound? Did you want a lot of sustain?

For a low G with a Fluorocarbon set, you might give Oasis Warm with a low G a try.

A deeper sound !

Hold it lower..........:p

Sorry couldn't help myself.

Hopefully some real TT owners will chime in with their experience.

The South Coast light mediums are a very bright string to start with. As Simon says just switching to Oasis warms will help because they are a thicker gauge=warmer sound. See if Tim has any Living Water tenor strings in his box, nice mellow tone.

Hold it lower..........:p

Sorry couldn't help myself.

Ha ha. You a funny man :)

Hopefully some real TT owners will chime in with their experience.

IIRC, fellow UU brother Ukulele Jay (Blue Knight USA) was one of the first people on the planet, and in this forum to get hold of one of these ukes when they came out, and he has posted here about the Tiny Tenor a few times, and also has a few videos on his YT channel about them. Maybe message him and see what strings he's gone through...

see his announce thread with video link inside:
http://forum.ukuleleunderground.com...-Tenor-quot-by-Romero-Creations-Sound-Monster!

see other threads with tags of 'tiny tenor'
http://forum.ukuleleunderground.com/tags.php?tag=tiny+tenor

Hope this helps
smile.png

Last edited:
Thanks Booli
Tim is getting me LaBella but in high G.
I would try it since I am out of high G uke at the moment. Fluke don't count!

So ... you are looking for a deeper tone from a Tiny Tenor with the tone wood being Spruce ... hmmm ... let me know how that goes!

What about Worth BT's?

A deeper sound !

Hi Solo, sound is really individual but if you are looking for something not as bold as the Bella's ( which I liked on the Tiny Tenor for the volume and projection ) I would suggest you go with a Fremont Soloist for your low G and also pick up a wound 3rd from Southcoast and then use a fluorocarbon for the 1st and 2nd courses. A wound C will give you a really pronounced deeper sound with the wound G and you will get more sustain from that wound C. I like the Fremont because it doesn't sound too much like a drone low G with some strings. The Fremont also lasts forever it seems.

Keep in mind it's your ears so what sounds deeper or brighter to some may not seem that way to you so experiment. I do go for wounds on the 3rd and 4th course on some of my ukes to get that deeper sound especially my 1950's Martin Baritone which sounds amazing. Currently I use D'Addario on that because they have a wound D and G set which is the same concept.

The Tiny tenor definitely is one of the biggest sounding tenors with those Bella's and a spruce top and are very bright when you really drive the strings. The feel of the Bella's is also a different feel due to them being a little rough, not like flourocarbon strings.

For the Fluoro strings I would probably go with the Savarez 540r set from their HT Alliance series and use the 541 and 542 for your 1st and 2nd course. You could also get a set from Southcoast that has a wound G and C in the set. They sell a uke set so you can just get the set and you'll have some extra strings which never hurt to have around.

At the end of the day you just need to try different strings but I do think the Fremont Soloist G and another polished wound C (Southcoast sells the singles) with flourocarbons will get you in the right direction vs the opposite direction. The spruce top is going to keep a certain level of brighter sound so you are living with spruce compared to something like Mahogany, but try the wounds.

That tiny tenor is a great uke! Good luck.

Last edited:
Thank you for the great recommendation.
I do have some of those strings you mentioned on hand.
I will give it a try. Tiny tenor is the easiest uke to change strings too.
Would you recommend worth brown?
Bella is what came with the uke. Yes it was very loud!

Hi Solorule,

Please let us know how those strings turn on out on your TT. I also have a Romero Creations Tiny Tenor in all koa, with the Labella strings in Low G, although currently loaned out to a colleague who wants to learn ukulele. The La Bella's were ok, but I was thinking about a different sound, so when I get the TT back, I was thinking I would like to experiment with some other strings. So, I am interested to hear your results. Thanks!

Thank you for the great recommendation.
I do have some of those strings you mentioned on hand.
I will give it a try. Tiny tenor is the easiest uke to change strings too.
Would you recommend worth brown?
Bella is what came with the uke. Yes it was very loud!

I like Worth's on some of my instruments. I think the Browns may be a bit brighter sounding for the trebles on that top but you know half the fun of this instrument is experimentation on different strings (at least for me I love trying different strings). Try it out. Worst case is you unwind them (don't cut them at the ends yet) and put them back in the package and use them on another instrument or keep for spares. It's an investment as strings aren't cheap in some cases but finding that set or combination that give YOU the sound YOU are looking for will only occur with you experimenting.

I currently use Worth's, Southcoast, Oasis, Living Waters, Savarez (one of my favorites), D'Addario T2 Titanium and Martin's on my 1932 Martin 2M...and surprisingly the Martin's are the only strings that really sounds great on my Martin to my ears....and I use a Fremont Soloist on the Martin for a low G soprano which I tend to like better than a re-entrant soprano. It's all whatever works for you and there are endless combinations. Once you find something you like... my only recommendation is stick with it once you say "That's it, I love the sound" so you don't drive yourself crazy.

I just picked up some Kala Pearls as I have never used them but I'm adding that to my "I've tried them list" to see how they sound.

Good luck.

Last edited:
A member approached me after reading this post.
He said he likes it Bright do not change the strings! He now own my Tiny Tenor! Tiny Tenor is on the way to Florida back to the good old USA!

Last edited:
A member approached me after reading this post.
He said he likes it Bright do not change the strings! He now own my Tiny Tenor! Tiny Tenor is on the way to Florida back to the good old USA!

If he likes it bright the Bella's do the best job on that uke so he should love it. Can't get much brighter and louder without the Bella's.

Living Waters are nice and mellow........ very pleasant on my spruce top Kamaka Ohta-san.

If he likes it bright the Bella's do the best job on that uke so he should love it. Can't get much brighter and louder without the Bella's.

I left the Southcoast on as I did not have a chance to change to La Bella.
Yes the La Bella that comes with it is very nice. Sometime it does not pay to change what already came with the uke
I am sure the maker tested different strings before they settle on a set that best represents their instrument.

Top Bottom