G Chord

trant

Reaction score
Hey All,

Simple question but I can't really find a simple answer. I've been learning the Ukulele and quite happily learnt the C, C7, Am, G7, F chords and some simple strumming patterns. (I think I"m saying "D DU UD" in my sleep now)
The problem started when I tried to learn a G chord, I can't get my fingers in place without moving the ukulele.

Am I holding the Ukulele badly? Do I need to go back and relearn? I can't shift my fingers without moving the Uke, so I'm worried that I'm holding too much with my left hand and I've wasted a fair amount of time. :confused:

Is this a common problem? Or is it my problem ? ;)

p.s. Any tips for preventing my girlfriend from murdering me in my sleep would be much appreciated. In my defence it's better than snoring.

The G chord is one of the basic hurdles. It seems horribly uncomfortable and impossibly slow and awkward at first, but give it a week or so and it will seem natural. Then you go on to things like the open E, with which you will repeat the process. After learning a few dozen chords by turning your fingers into temporary pretzels of aching flesh, they will get the idea and new chords will become tests of memory rather than dexterity. The secret is stick-to-itivity. Don't give up; you can do it. If you ever get frustrated, just play what you already know, and think: "That's amazing. I couldn't have dreamed I could do that a year ago."

How are you holding the uke now?

Unlike a guitar, ukuleles are usually strummed further up the neck. So your forearm sort of "cradles" the body to a greater extent than a guitar. That helps provide some support, in lieu of a strap. So make sure that's not the problem.

That said, if the uke moves, it moves. Nothing wrong with that. :D

JJ

Try it another way. Your basic G chord is (counting frets):

Which means you put your fingers (counting from the first digit as one)
0123 on the frets noted above. It's an inverted pyramid shape.

Try holding the first finger across the second fret for all three strings, then sticking the second finger in on the second string, third fret. Might be a little easier at first.

Don't move the uke. Move your wrist instead. It'll come to you with practice. Soon your fingers will be dancing fleas across that fretboard.

You could also try to bar the bottom 3 strings with your pointer finger and use your middle finger to hit the 3rd fret on the middle string...

Thanks for all the replies, it's given me a lot of hope and a wealth of information.

cheers :)

luckily, when I was learning the guitar, the D chord was one of the first I learned...so the G chord shape (same as a D on guitar) was instant for me

I have been doing a little trick when switching from C to G - I strum the C chord using both my middle fingers. My ring finger on the correct fret, then my middle finger behind it on the second fret. That way when I switch to the G chord, I just have to move my ring finger up one string, keep my middle finger where it is, and apply my index finger.

Kind of hard to explain but it works for me and makes forming that chord a bit easier on the fly.

Seems to be good now!
I mis-read ebrian's comment and used my index finger but found that it helped! Awesome.

Trouble is that my thumb gets cramped real quick, but I assume this will improve over time. :)

Did you happen to try using your pointer to bar the bottom three strings, using your middle finger for the E string 3rd???

I did try a bar, but I can't get a clear note using that just yet. More practice is needed no doubt, but for now the other method is working for me.

I'm a complete beginner to any musical instrument, not just the Uke so it's a slow but fun process for me. :)

Top Bottom