UAS and Tax Time in the US...

JMort847

Strummin' my four string
UU VIP
Reaction score
#justsayin
IMG_0633.jpg

Yup. Been broke for a little while, got the tax refund and just ordered a uke. Three years in a row that is how I have paid for my instruments.

Tax deduction= trip to Hawaii right?!?!?!??! :)

Some people don't get refunds. :(

I'll be lucky to get a refund. I did spend more on my biz than it made, so that might help. Maybe I need a new biz? LOL, I mainly got it for the deductions, I learned that from rich people. If I get a refund, it will probably go to my broke Mommy.

Well.. in case you have 3k burning a hole in your pocket.. there's those anniversary kamaka's getting listed today.

Kalei... makes it look sooooo effortless.

Last edited:
Yeah, for me, "tax time" = "forget about that new ukulele"
(wife screwed up the w4 for her part time job and so had no taxes taken out, plus a daughter turned 17 last year - goodbye child tax credit!)

Haha yes! I just did this with my Clara

I manage my taxes to owe.
I would rather have the money in my paycheck, use it to reduce debt or earn interest as the case may be, and prepare for paying come tax day.
A lot of people I know overpay their taxes as a forced savings account. I could never understand that.

I manage my taxes to owe.
I would rather have the money in my paycheck, use it to reduce debt or earn interest as the case may be, and prepare for paying come tax day.
A lot of people I know overpay their taxes as a forced savings account. I could never understand that.

My spouse and I are the exact opposite. We purposely have the max withheld and each year get a big refund. One year we each bought ourselves a big gift (Moore Bettah for me, motorcycle for the spouse). One year it saved our hide when a pipe burst. Most years it pays for all our vacations. I am a horrible saver, so for me it is the only way to manage big ticket purchases. I know it isn't fiscally smart but it works great for us.

My spouse and I are the exact opposite. We purposely have the max withheld and each year get a big refund. One year we each bought ourselves a big gift (Moore Bettah for me, motorcycle for the spouse). One year it saved our hide when a pipe burst. Most years it pays for all our vacations. I am a horrible saver, so for me it is the only way to manage big ticket purchases. I know it isn't fiscally smart but it works great for us.

Deliberately overpaying taxes is like an old-fashioned Christmas Club that comes due in the spring. With today's low interest rate environment there is not much harm. And, if it works for you, it is fiscally smart :).

I'm happy to hear I'm not the only one. Logically I know I should have them withhold less since I'm "loaning" the government my money. But I do look at it as a big "bonus" / as a forced savings account too.

I'll be lucky to get a refund. I did spend more on my biz than it made, so that might help. Maybe I need a new biz? LOL, I mainly got it for the deductions, I learned that from rich people. If I get a refund, it will probably go to my broke Mommy.

Good for you Nickie

Some of us have to pay, No, the converse is not true, I am not selling a uke. Eating Chef Boyar dee for a while, but not selling a uke.

Top Bottom