Quiet Nightime Practice

plank

Reaction score
Hi, just a little question that may require a more experienced mind than mine.

I can only practice late at night due to work, children and everything else before I can sit down with the ukulele.

My question is how can I practice without waking my young daughters up and getting grief off the missus? The only idea I can muster is putting a sock near the bridge thus muting any sound but it feels and looks rather strange.

Any better ideas would be much appreciated.

You will get a lot of better responses that can expand on this...

...solid body electric uke and headphones.

John

I bought a Risa Uke Solid for this very reason. Turned out it was one of the best ukuleles I've ever played!

Absolutely. You might also think about a small amp modeler so you can hear it a bit better. I have the Line6 Pocket Pod, which I got used. Perfect combo.

I don't see anything wrong with the sock idea. Nobody is watching you late at night that you know about.

Last edited:
Probably wise to avoid the Banjo Ukulele :)
I'll 2nd or 3rd or 4th the Risa Solid/Stick recommendation - if you can get past the the headless headstock feel. Otherwise check out their Uke'Ellie.

i am a beginner and find that is a good time for me to work on learning new chords or changing chords without strumming.

Another vote for RISA. I am in the in the exact same situation with work, children, and family commitments. Was going to get a Risa Solid, but chose the Risa Uke'Ellie for the more traditional look/feel. Plenty of headphone amps and mini amps available for good prices. I my case a $20 5w Monoprice mini amp for home and a $12 headphone amp from Monoprice for when I travel. I'll let you know how it is once I receive everything.

Another solid body electric option would be a solid body Teton uke, or a solid body Fluke.

–Lori

Cheers for the input guys. I've looked at the risa ukulele s, a little bit out my price range for now. May look at those next year.

I'll check that thread Booli suggested to see if there are any cheaper alternatives for the time being. Or I can build a shed and soundproof it.

Get really good and then jam out as loud as possible. Assert your music upon them. They'll get used to it. My sister did, but it was a rough first month.

Get really good and then jam out as loud as possible. Assert your music upon them. They'll get used to it. My sister did, but it was a rough first month.

LOL. I hope she wasn't forcing the bagpipes or violin upon you. The sound a beginner makes on those instruments is pretty painful to everyone within earshot until the early beginner learns how to manifest a truly musical sound. Growing pains!!! :)

I play in the bathroom a lot for that reason as it seems the most soundproof. The fact that the washer and dryer are in there running also creates a white noise. I can play there at regular volume.

But, it seems that the OP needs to play in the same room with sleeping kids.

In that case, it is a good skill to learn to play very quietly on your uke.

I play my regular ukes in the same room as sleeping kids/spouse. I play them to sleep and then continue playing next to them as long as I want.

Strumming/plucking with pads of the fingers are great for this effect.

They are so used to me playing softly near them that I can now start a song and practice next to them once they are asleep. They might roll over and open an eye, but will go right back to sleep.

Last edited:
Cheers for the input guys. I've looked at the risa ukulele s, a little bit out my price range for now. May look at those next year.

I'll check that thread Booli suggested to see if there are any cheaper alternatives for the time being. Or I can build a shed and soundproof it.

Glad to help.

Maybe we are looking at this all wrong, I mean it's our birthright to PLAY music, so if they dont want to hear it, sleeping or not, maybe get them all a set of earplugs and put the burden on THEM to silence the music for themselves instead of trying to make your instrument into an impotent, dead and mute stick with strings on it. LOL

/sarcasm/

Earplugs are still cheaper, even if you have to supply a dozen people...:music:

don't remember exactly but I bought my soprano risa stick used on ebay and paid 150 bucks I think. Quite a mark down from a new one. Just make sure if you do go that route that you get the geared tuners.

here is a link to the first act guitar. they are heavily braced so are significantly quieter than a normal uke. http://preview.tinyurl.com/hx8s5gj

Last edited:
Of course there are stringed instrument mutes: Google "violin mute" for ideas and make your own. A thread here a few years ago discussed this and Google will turn it up as well -- might have to try "ukulele mute".
I play lightly, softly most of the time anyway, and if I use a uke with a side port, it makes it easier to hear myself.

That having been said ...
There is something to be said for a well-stocked shed.

here is a link to the first act guitar. they are heavily braced so are significantly quieter than a normal uke. http://preview.tinyurl.com/hx8s5gj

dear god no. intonation is amazingly bad and its not adjustable.

as above, learning to play quiet is a good skill. no nails. just pads and it helps much to develop a light touch that is consistent.

Top Bottom