Straps, strap buttons, etc.

robedney

UU VIP
UU VIP
Reaction score
Reading another post inspired this one. There are a lot of very good reasons to use a strap on a uke, all of which have been covered here on UU. Some folks are reluctant to put a strap button (or two) on an expensive instrument. Here's the thing: Every traditionally made wooden uke has an end block at the bottom - a solid chunk of wood where the two sides meet. Drilling for a strap button means that you are going into that end block, not just through the thin side of the instrument. There is no structural/mechanical reason not to put a strap button on.

Although I prefer one strap button on the bottom, with the top end of the strapped laced around the peghead, there is also no good reason not to put a strap button on the heal of the neck. Once again, plenty of solid wood to hold the screw, no structural issues/risks.

A really good luthier can also remove and strap button and all but make the hole invisible -- but it takes someone with some fine finishing experience to pull that off.

There are, of course, alternative straps that do not require buttons -- but in my experience these don't work out for all ukes and/or all people. I would never ask a beginner to learn to play without a strap, and I -- for one -- play much better with my uke hung around my neck!

Lastly, my favorite uke right now is a prototype carbon fiber instrument that has never seen the inside of a case or gig bag. I put it on with the strap and just swing it around to my back when I go anywhere, including on my electric scooter. Works a treat!

So, in my humble opinion, the reasons to use a strap far outweigh any reasons not to :rolleyes:

Agree completely. I too prefer the single strap button on the bottom. As long as the uke can handle it structurally - make your life easier and just do it! I've tried many if not all of the alternative straps out there and most of them just don't do it for me. They work great for sitting down, but I prefer to play standing.

There seems to be this misconception that installing a strap button will devalue the uke. I've sold probably a half-dozen strap-buttoned ukes here on UU, and I think I've only lost significant money on one (a custom, so the devaluation had nothing to do with the strap button).

Where is the "LIKE" button.

#ukestrapsforlife

I must say that I agree completely with Robert's original post. All of my ukes are strapped.

Mine too. Also I use nice one's with ebony or shell inlays. Never those metal one's.

I don't have straps :-/

Been playing for about a year, only playing sitting down, resting the uke on my lab like I would a guitar. Holding it in place with the arm made it difficult for me to change chords. I know I could learn it, but resting it seemed easier when I started.
But I gotta get some straps!

Strap buttons: I assume installing them is easy piecy. No need for professionals for that - right?
It looks simple, but I just want to make sure.

Straps: which European vendors have the coolest selection of straps for button in one end, leash in the other?
I consider making my own if I don't find the perfect one. Does someone have a how-to for dummies? Like which lengths is should be adjustable between, what materials to use etc.

I install all of my own metal strap buttons, tail and heel. Just use a marker to put a dot there, use a drill bit slightly thinner than the screw, drill slowly and straight, that's it. In no way does it devalue the instrument. Every pro player I've seen uses straps with what looks like custom made ukes, so strap buttons had to be installed by someone.

If my uke does not have an endpin jack from a pickup (which I've typically installed myself), I will install a strap button at the heel, and then I tie the other end of the strap to the headstock between the nut and tuners.

Some folks prefer not to use a strap. Whatever works, there is no JUDGEMENT here.

There is no shame in using a strap and anyone that tells you otherwise is either wholly ignorant or simply an idiot.

I use a strap for the same reason that I detest and refuse to use friction tuners:

I want to PLAY the damn thing and not keep fiddling with it and getting frustrated. :music:

Strap buttons: I assume installing them is easy piecy. No need for professionals for that - right?
It looks simple, but I just want to make sure.

Straps: which European vendors have the coolest selection of straps for button in one end, leash in the other?
I consider making my own if I don't find the perfect one. Does someone have a how-to for dummies? Like which lengths is should be adjustable between, what materials to use etc.

Fitting a strap button is a straightforward DIY job. Someone else has already explained how. Use hand tools not electric ones, though.

I have got most of my straps off ebay from "Straps for Chords". They have a good selection of designs including ukulele and music note patterns. I have a card from a recent order:

Contact details: strapsforchords@hotmail.com
Web: www.strapsforchords.webs.com
ebay: traci56guineapigs

She's UK based but that should not be a problem for you in Denmark. I'm in the UK and regularly order items from mainland Europe.

You can also get strap buttons from ebay. There's a good selection but make sure you mention ukulele when you search as it's better to avoid the bigger guitar strap buttons.

Mandolin straps are a good size for ukes.
UkuMele in Germany has my Uke Leashes (no button needed).

I never play without a strap.

–Lori

I've started using a strap on my soprano ukes, because I'm trying to get left thumb placement down. Without it, the neck slides into the area between my thumb and index finger. I've tried a uke thong, but am concerned with potential damage, so I prefer my uke leash. The leash is a definite on my tenor, so I can focus on clean fretting.

I think there's no question that using a strap makes playing easier. For those who do not want to drill their ukulele, the Mobius Strap gives true hands-free support, whether sitting or standing. You can check it out at http://www.mobiusstrap.com.

Use hand tools not electric ones, though.

Seriously?! What is the logic behind this statement?

Because I can't be the only one who has screwed up a uke with an electric drill. Hand tools are easier to control for some of us, but we don't always find that out beforehand.

Electric drills and screwdrivers are excellent for most diy jobs around the house but hand tools, being slower, allow more control and are better for fine work. Less chance of damaging your expensive uke.

Mandolin straps are a good size for ukes.
UkuMele in Germany has my Uke Leashes (no button needed).

I never play without a strap.

–Lori

I've just ordered another from you and I could have saved myself some postage if I'd realised. OTOH, they only seem to be carrying black and brown and I ordered a blue one so for the full range of colours, I still have to order direct from you.

I've just ordered another from you and I could have saved myself some postage if I'd realised. OTOH, they only seem to be carrying black and brown and I ordered a blue one so for the full range of colours, I still have to order direct from you.
Thanks Geoff! I shipped your order today. The colors are really fun, but most retailers will only stock the best selling colors unless they have requests from their customers. I make the straps to order, and that makes it easier to manage inventory.
–Lori

Because I can't be the only one who has screwed up a uke with an electric drill. Hand tools are easier to control for some of us, but we don't always find that out beforehand.

Electric drills and screwdrivers are excellent for most diy jobs around the house but hand tools, being slower, allow more control and are better for fine work. Less chance of damaging your expensive uke.

Yes. :agree:

Ever had a drill bit skip OR slip on you when going into a soft surface???

Say goodbye to the nice finish with those scraggly scratch lines that you now have, or EXTRA unintended DINGS created by a drill but spinning at ~3500+ rpm.

I use manual-crank drill (think similar to 1820's Amish hand drill) to create a 3/32" pilot hole in the heel/tailblock, which takes, OMG like ALL of 2 mins, and then drive the 1/8" diameter screw from the strap button by HAND and NOT with an 18volt Makita/DeWalt industrial contractor drill/driver.

1350492389-32520400.jpg

Oh, the blasphemy!

Hand tools are ALSO safer (flying chips of wood??? nope!), and can be used when others are sleeping in the next room. Running power tools will definitely disturb those resting or sleeping.

I think I will need to make do with an electric drill.

After my granpa passed away in december at age 92, I don't know anyone who owns a handdrill. I am pretty sure his was thrown away.

Using the smallest drill I can find, perhaps a proper wood drill with the pointy end, and making a dent before drilling, the risk of the drill slipping should be reasonably small.
The electric drill available is af a small managable size.

Edit: and of course screw the button on by hand. I even think twice before machine screwing Ikea furniture, on a musical instrument I would fear its lack of delicacy even more.

Last edited:
Top Bottom