Good, Cheap Cameras for Youtube Videos of Ukulele

Reaction score
Hey guys! I've had this idea of starting a youtube channel and playing ukuele originals on it. I was wondering what camera to get to fulfill this idea. I'd like a camera with good sound quality, and while that's prioritized over visual quality, I don't want the video itself to look bad either. I'm not really inclined to spend more than about $200 on this, but if there is a really good camera with good sound and decent video I could go a little over 200. Any input on this would be appreciated and considered! Thanks!

I like having things separate in case one fails. it is cheaper to replace one part than to be out both. I do my video recitals in front of a computer so I use a cheap logitech webcam and a blue yeti microphone. They combine for about 150 with shipping included. The logitech microphone is fine for speech but stinks for the uke.

maybe someone else will chime in irt all in one devices.

I have not thought about a dedicated 'digital video camera' in yrs since 99% of the time I use my iPad for making videos with an external mic, the Apogee MiC.

Sometimes I will also use other audio interfaces with the iPad if I want more audio channels.

Last year I bought the $120 Logitech C920-C webcam which has stereo mics with noise canceling tech and is supposed to do 1080p 60fps video, but sadly is married to a USB2 interface inside the camera (which means that the camera is bottlenecked at the cable into the computer, and the USB2 cannot feed the data in realtime, despite the onboard h.264 AVC compression that is built-in to the camera), and as such no matter what computer I use (Mac/Linux/Windows) nor more than a dozen different software programs and more than 6 different driver packages I'm lucky to get a framerate better than 20fps at resolution higher than 640x360 resolution, which looks stuttery and is tiny. The iPad camera does so much better. The ONLY way I can use the Logitech for anything that does not look like crap, is to use Apple's QuickTime to record the video and have it set for 960x540 resolution and with lots of blindingly bright lights, otherwise the frame rate drops down to 15 fps.

I'd advise AGAINST this specific web cam, and I'm pretty upset about it's performance since I did tons of research beforehand and it simply does not work well, and Logitech Support is full of idiots reading from a script who dont listen or understand anything else.

Lots of folks here who make videos for the Seasons weekly challenges seem to be using either a tablet or smartphone camera, and some with an external mic...

Hope this helps...

Top Bottom