PDA

View Full Version : Sold body necks?

wardo
04-13-2016, 11:53 PM
I am looking to build my own solid body electric uke, in either tenor or baritone scales. Due to time limitations, I'd like to buy a premade neck/fret board. These are a dime a dozen for guitars, but I can't seem to find anything in uke scales. Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Thanks,
Ward

cml
04-13-2016, 11:59 PM
I am looking to build my own solid body electric uke, in either tenor or baritone scales. Due to time limitations, I'd like to buy a premade neck/fret board. These are a dime a dozen for guitars, but I can't seem to find anything in uke scales. Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Thanks,
Ward

Ive seen plenty on ebay!

wardo
04-14-2016, 12:10 AM
Really, I looked around but couldn't find any solid body necks. Fretboards seemed available, but necks not so much. Maybe my search terms were off? If you could provide a link, I'd deeply appreciate it.

Thanks,
Ward

cml
04-14-2016, 03:03 AM
Sorry, missed that it was for a solid uke!

wardo
04-14-2016, 09:49 AM
That might have something to do with the fact that I misspelled "solid" as "sold" in my title!

Ward

DanielHulbert
04-15-2016, 06:57 AM
I made quite a few solid body electric ukuleles. I don't know of any place to buy premade necks.

This is the closest I've seen, but it's part of a mando kit. http://www.instrumentalley.com/Saga-MT-10-Build-Electric-Mandolin-Kit-p/mt-10.htm

fynger
04-15-2016, 08:36 AM
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Uk-Seller-Concert-Ukulele-Neck-Fretboard-/222078251420?hash=item33b4e5319c:g:VUwAAOSwX~dWjzv V

wardo
04-15-2016, 08:58 AM
Thanks. I am thinking I'll buy a fret board and just make my own neck. It will take an extra day or so, but it is well within my abilities and tool collection. I also considered buying an acoustic neck and using that with a little creative joinery. If I wanted to build a solid body guitar I'd be spoiled for choices!

Thanks,
Ward

Croaky Keith
04-15-2016, 09:01 AM
Could you shorten a solid guitar neck for use with a uke fingerboard?

PhilUSAFRet
04-15-2016, 11:40 PM
Could you shorten a solid guitar neck for use with a uke fingerboard?

Been thinking of doing this for a cigar box tenor guitar reso I'm accumulating parts for. Want to narrow it with a belt sander, reshape, and refinish.

wardo
04-16-2016, 01:14 AM
Been thinking of doing this for a cigar box tenor guitar reso I'm accumulating parts for. Want to narrow it with a band saw, reshape, and refinish.

By the time I shortened,narrowed and reshaped it, and sorted out attachment to the body, I am pretty sure I could have made one from scratch. I think it would probably be easier to buy an acoustic neck, cut off the heel and creatively join a block to connect to the body. Of course, I haven't done it, so really what do I know?

Ward

Demick
04-16-2016, 11:47 AM
What is the difference between the neck for a solid body vs an acoustic? I can think of a couple minor differences but not significant enough that it couldn't be easily adapted

photoshooter
04-16-2016, 01:46 PM
What is the difference between the neck for a solid body vs an acoustic? I can think of a couple minor differences but not significant enough that it couldn't be easily adapted

I went through a similar dilemma recently. I want to build a solid body and hoped to find a ready made neck just to expedite things. Unfortunately I don't think there are any available. A standard uke neck has a heel on the end that attaches to the body. An electric/solid body would ideally have a longer "tail" at the base of the neck that would drop into a pocket in the solid body. They would then be bolted or screwed together from the rear.

Kala sells UBass necks but they are thicker and wider than tenor uke necks.
http://shop.kalabrand.com/collections/u-bass-parts/products/neck-4-string-u-bass-fretless-maple-2015-earlier

PhilUSAFRet
04-16-2016, 06:39 PM
I'm going for a narrower neck, 1 1/2" max at the nut. I can't get a tenor guitar neck.

By the time I shortened,narrowed and reshaped it, and sorted out attachment to the body, I am pretty sure I could have made one from scratch. I think it would probably be easier to buy an acoustic neck, cut off the heel and creatively join a block to connect to the body. Of course, I haven't done it, so really what do I know?

Ward

wardo
04-17-2016, 03:20 AM
I went through a similar dilemma recently. I want to build a solid body and hoped to find a ready made neck just to expedite things. Unfortunately I don't think there are any available. A standard uke neck has a heel on the end that attaches to the body. An electric/solid body would ideally have a longer "tail" at the base of the neck that would drop into a pocket in the solid body. They would then be bolted or screwed together from the rear.

Kala sells UBass necks but they are thicker and wider than tenor uke necks.
http://shop.kalabrand.com/collections/u-bass-parts/products/neck-4-string-u-bass-fretless-maple-2015-earlier

That is great information. I actually wouldn't mind a bit wider, is the fret spacing on the UBASS same as on a ordinary uke?

Thanks,
Ward

wardo
04-17-2016, 03:23 AM

I think Photoshooter addressed this pretty well. I do think a competent woodworker could adapt it, but then again, they could also shape a neck in an afternoon. I ordered a baritone fretboard, once it arrives I am going to shape my own neck and see how it turns out.

Thanks,
Ward