Fingerpicking/Fingerstyle Instruction

padlin

Reaction score
Can someone point out a good source for learning fingerpicking/fingerstyle, I'm taking the terms equate to the same thing.

There are a million hits on the subject if you do a search, I have no idea which of the million hits are worth doing.

Can someone point out a good source for learning fingerpicking/fingerstyle, I'm taking the terms equate to the same thing.

There are a million hits on the subject if you do a search, I have no idea which of the million hits are worth doing.
Fingerstyle Ukulele By Aaron Keim

www.quietamerican.com Well written and illustrated

Here's a link to a list of good tabs for playing instrumentally(melody and harmony). Not sure if that is what you are looking for, since fingerpicking would include arpeggio patterns.

Have fun!
–Lori

Looking for more of a course, like the Pekelo books, as opposed to tab or single videos. I was thinking on taking lessons locally but I'd prefer to try online or via book first. Rather spend the $ on another uke.

I am keeping all the links you folks post, I was having trouble finding songs where it's a mix of melody and harmony (instrumentally), of course I didn't know what to call it. See, I already learned something.

Last edited:
Looking for more of a course, like the Pekelo books, as opposed to tab or single videos. I was thinking on taking lessons locally but I'd prefer to try online or via book first. Rather spend the $ on another uke.

I am keeping all the links you folks post, I was having trouble finding songs where it's a mix of melody and harmony (instrumentally), of course I didn't know what to call it. See, I already learned something.

The book "Fingerstyle Ukulele" by Aaron Kiem is excellent. Aaron is a member here, has a masters in music education, plays professionally and is a builder of Mya Moe ukuleles. On top of that he has youtube videos that accompany the pieces in the book. It just does not get any better than that. I have his book and highly recommend it

Last edited:
I second the recommendation for Aaron Keim's "Fingerstyle" book. If you have no experience with fingerpicking the ukulele at all so far, you might also want to pick up "Ukulele Exercises for Dummies" and work through its fingerstyle section first before tackling Aaron's book. It'll make following his book easier. The Exercises book is generally well done and worth having. "Ukulele Aerobics" also has weekly fingerstyle exercises that build up on the material of previous weeks, and they are in context of the other training bits. It's much like a course, but without fluff and hand holding.

Oh, and I keep forgetting to mention her, but it's a great resource: Samantha Muir has a free right-hand techniques booklet, "The Art of Arpeggios", with 20 exercises and accompanying videos that start right with the basics (only the right hand, only open strings). She also has six or seven non-free booklets that are worth checking out when you have mastered the free book. All of this can be found here.

The nice thing is that she teaches and shows everything with a re-entrant soprano, so it really works for everyone. Hm, and I see she now has a paper book of Scottish folk tunes, too..

Top Bottom