Narrowing down the 1934 - 1961 range for vintage Martin ukes?

bearbike137

Reaction score
I see post-war vintage Martin tenors for sale with fairly specific claims about the year or decade it was made.

However, from what I understand, if a Martin style 1 tenor uke has: a peghead decal, T frets, 12 fret neck, and no "Made in the USA" stamp inside body - it can only be dated to a range of 1934 to pre-1962.

How are sellers narrowing that 30 year range in their ads? Are there any other distinguishing characteristics that help? Thank you.

Hi, Steve. There are nuances by year, some for a particular style of Martin. Too numerous to list here, they are the foundation of the Walsh and King book--the best $25 that can be spent for anyone who enjoys Martins as it literally breaks down year-to-year changes by tuners, stamps, decals, but also stripes, pirends, fret wire, dot locations, and such. If you have a particular uke you're interested in, happy to help with the aid of experience and the book (if you don't yet have a copy).

Most listings you'll see on eBay list by decade, and they can be way off, so your original premise is correct. 😀

Hey buddy - how are you? I will PM you about a specific question I have. Thank you.

Sure, Steve. Happy to help. Steve.

Oh, fun reading here, you'll enjoy this logic: in this thread, I helped cigarfan narrow down the year of his Style 3 with the book that I mention. Too many details to remember it all, so the book becomes key. Anyhow, this is a fun look at exactly what you're talking about, Steve. Please read the whole thread as you can see how our dating of cigarfans Martin evolved when he added new photos (which are no longer there).
http://forum.ukuleleunderground.com/showthread.php?87129-How-can-I-date-a-vintage-Martin-Style-3
Sincerely, the other Steve.

Last edited:
Sure, Steve. Happy to help. Steve.

Oh, fun reading here, you'll enjoy this logic: in this thread, I helped cigarfan narrow down the year of his Style 3 with the book that I mention. Too many details to remember it all, so the book becomes key. Anyhow, this is a fun look at exactly what you're talking about, Steve. Please read the whole thread as you can see how our dating of cigarfans Martin evolved when he added new photos (which are no longer there).
http://forum.ukuleleunderground.com/showthread.php?87129-How-can-I-date-a-vintage-Martin-Style-3
Sincerely, the other Steve.

Thanks, Steve! Cool thread. It looks like I need to get that book. Sent you that PM, by the way.

Top Bottom