Jake

Ukulelerick9255

Reaction score
Jake is playing tonight in Hartford CT and I bought my tickets long before it was announced that he would be playing tonight with the Hartford Symphony Orchestra. This should be awesome!!!!! Will post a review tomorrow.

Great. I am looking forward to hearing about your experience Rick. I am a live performance nut.

HOLY CRAP! I forgot all about it. So glad I read this.

I'm going to have to go grab my son early from little league practice and get on the road if I'm going to make it on time.

Hope you enjoy it Rick.

Jake last night

I love seeing Jake and I was looking forward to showing him my new custom Selmer tenor from Beau Hannam so my first disappointment was he didn't come out after the show as he usually does, possibly because of the size of the venue about 3,000 pt maybe because the show went till after 10pm with the intermission. Overall it was a great experience seeing him with a full orchestra but you could tell it was fairly unrehearsed as it wasn't always smooth timing between Jake and the orchestra. Also I thought some of the songs where the orchestra sat out and didn't play were perfect opportunities for back and forth between Jake and the orchestra that went to waste, Bohemian Rhapsody as an example, I thought this was a perfect song to make use of the orchestra and they sat that one out. The nice thing was Jake brought back some favorites he hasn't played lately because of the orchestra, this included encores of Nessun Dorma and the Sschubert version of Ave Maria. All in all to be honest I prefer his regular show but this was a nice change of pace that needed some more rehearsal time.

Agreed that Bohemian Rhapsody was begging for the orchestra to join in.

I was also disappointed he didn't come out after, was hoping he would and that my son could meet him, but it wasn't as intimate a setting as usual, so I can understand.

It's funny, I was chatting with a family outside the venue and the father said, "Oh the orchestra completely destroyed While my Guitar Gently Weeps. It's so much better when he does it alone." But I kind of liked the departure, thought it traveled nicely through a few styles before coming around back to Jake's uke (it popped, it was breezy, etc.).

I didn't mind the looseness of the show...how often do you get to see a symphony orchestra loosen up and jam a bit?

Top Bottom