Playing in public

beeejums

Reaction score
Yesterday, it was a nice day so I went out to the park and sat on a bench next to a trail and played for about an hour. I got a lot of looks, and a couple people stopped to listen. Most people just smiled at me. I need to do this more often, even though I'm not very good at it. I'm sure it will come. Advice from the wizened UU is always welcome.

But everybody should do this. You. Right now. Go outside and play in public. Entertain some peoplez for free. Enjoy the sun.

cool, i've always wanted to do that

That sounds like great fun! I'll try and head out next time we get the weather. It's raining now...

I got plenty of indoor practice to do. We got a gig coming up in two weeks and I'm doing some lessons with beginners tomorrow to help them get up to speed.

Besides the TCUO practices in a coffee shop weekly. We're in public all the time. I just live in a climate that isn't ready for that kind of outdoor activity for another few weeks.

I got plenty of indoor practice to do. We got a gig coming up in two weeks and I'm doing some lessons with beginners tomorrow to help them get up to speed.

Besides the TCUO practices in a coffee shop weekly. We're in public all the time. I just live in a climate that isn't ready for that kind of outdoor activity for another few weeks.

I'm just giving you a hard time...

And on top of that, you've made me jealous as I have no other musicians around to play with. Still looking :-(

yup...

it's funny how strumming this little four stringed instrument will attract people, bring smiles, or even opportunities to strike up conversations....

playing the uke (in public) allows us all to share a little bit of the A-L-O-H-A that we all found when we got started on the uke. i frequently carry one when traveling from Oahu and a few strums at the airport has allowed me the opportunity to meet people from all over the world...with a smile....

keep on strummin,
Shawn

http://ukulelefriend.com

Next time place a cup in front of you with a couple dollars bills and change in it, you may be able make some money at the same time. ;)

I'm just giving you a hard time...

And on top of that, you've made me jealous as I have no other musicians around to play with. Still looking :-(

I know...:p

All I can say is Craigslist. It worked for us. Probably a few folks lurking in the woodwork...

When it starts to get warmer I try to play on the street at least once a week. Especially during the summer when I'm not working as much it can serve as a fun way to make some spare cash.

Make sure you're in a "chatting" mood. I'm not very good at talking to folks that I just meet...I'm usually kind of awkward...and people WILL want to ask you about your ukulele.

It's definitely a learning experience.

Oh, and as for finding musicians to play with, check out this recent local Craigslist ad. The kid lives in Indian Hill, which is a VERY affluent community. Hilarious:
I need a drummer, bass and screamer for power-violence goth death sludge melodic band. I've been taking lessons for a year now and my parents tell me I'm one of the best in the tri-state they've ever seen. I only use 7 string schecter guitars tuned down double drop Db...I expect you to have pro gear as well.

we are not allowed to do cheap juvenille jokes about playing in publc in here are we(sorry i'm brit, i'm practically a carry on film)

the uke and i ventured outside for the first time on thursday, it wasnt very busy on campus at the time...and i still have alot of practicing to do before im any good, but i did get some interested/comfused looks.... it was alot of fun, so as the weather continues to get nicer i think im moving practice time outside

which will be interesting, considering im on the shy side

Joke away.. I think.. haha

I played outside alot last year with my guitar. This will be my first summer as a Uke player. I definitely plan to play outside alot this year.

no sorry if the joke away thing was about me it was my bad i just couldnt help myself and ifeel bad for such a cheap joke..a s** joke sorry

I love the idea of playing uke outdoors. Where I live you can only do it in certain places - at least if you want to put the cup out.

In some places you have to get a busker's license if you want to play for money. They hold auditions and everything.

ive only been playin for a few months, but i love playing out in public.

i play at my campus all the time when im there, and ive recently started going to newport beach and the surrounding malls just to play. ive even dragged along a buddy of mine to go out playing.

its something about seeing people look at you and smiling that makes me feel happy. i see kids looking as well as older ones making side comments. i jus want to spread more ukulele love around.

so if anyone's around the costa mesa area feel free to pm me and we'll go out and jus play at some random area.

Top Bottom