Chord question

Inkdork

Reaction score
https://ukutabs.com/h/harry-belafonte/jamaica-farewell/

I'll use this as an example. The D7 has me stumped. How am I supposed to be using my fingers to accomplish this? The best I can come up with is to use my thumb across those 3 strings, but its there a better or perhaps a "right" way to do it?

Hi Inkdork,

I've seen people do it that way, but I wouldn't...

The standard way is to use your index finger across all 4 strings on the second fret and then your middle finger on the third fret of the A string.

Another alternative that I like to use sometimes is to use your first 3 fingers on the G, C, and E strings (a standard D chord) and fret the A string with your little finger.

I hope that helps.

Robin

I just played with that song a bit, and I just want to add that the other version of the D7 chord (2020) is not only easier to play, but sounds better with this song.

That does help and its so obvious I feel silly for not realizing it myself.

Now... If I can ask you another question. Can you explain the number notation for chords (like 2020) and what they mean?

Hi Deb,

The numbers refer to the strings from top to bottom. They refer to the fret number that you put your fingers on to play the chord so in this case, you would put your fingers on the second fret of the G and E strings, and leave the C and A strings open.

Robin

I'm sure you don't need it, but I just took this photo to show a 2020 D7 chord...
DSC_0003.jpg

2020 may sound good on some songs, but not a D7 or suitable substitute for most songs that require a D7

http://www.ukulele-chords.com/D7

Agreed that it won't sound good on all songs. Won't argue musical theory because I admit that I don't know. I've had it introduced to me as an alternate D7, but I'm perfectly willing to entertain the idea that that is either false, or only half the story. I know that it doesn't sound right all the time. I only brought it up because it does sound good on that particular song.

Edit: I had to edit this post because of errors.
I finally managed to get used to tabs having the A-string on top, but I cant seem to remember that they come first in a horizontal chord description. They are the ones furthest away from me when playing, dammit!
I am missing the possibility to cross out text when editing

It seems to me that 0202 has little to do with a D-chord.

Isn't that more like a G6 or Em7?
#Edit, forget that

0202 on a gCEA tuning will give you the notes g, d, e and b.
#Edit, forget that, its a, f#, c and a again
A D7 chord will need d, f#, a and c. Not necessarily in that order.
The only note in common is the d.
#Edit, only chords missing is the d

If you practice a bit you will probably find that barring the second fret and playing the 2223 is not the most difficult chord to play.
#Edit: I mean 3222 og course, I keep looking at the order of string the opposite way of what I am supposed to.
In my opinion it is easier that the normal D chord.
The dreaded E-chord is worse. To begin with I considered substituting it with E7, as E7 in my experince is so much easier than the E chord.

Anyway, if the chord works for your song, I guess you don't need to change that :)

Last edited:
Strictly speaking, 2020 is not a D7 chord because it lacks a D. The notes played from top to bottom are A, C, F#, A whereas the correct D7, 2223 gives you the notes A, D, F#, C which is a D7. I leave it others to say what chord exactly 2020 is :)

However it often works as a substitute for D7, especially if you either have a D in the melody at that point or you have someone playing D in the bass, then overall, all the notes of D7 are being played. I find it works well with traditional folk melodies because their harmonic structure is somewhat different from the Jazz or Pop music that most people seem to play on the ukulele. In fact with trad folk you mostly don't need the 7th and a straight D chord often works better anyway. It does work well with a lot of contemporary folk too because of the trad folk influence.

In any case it's a matter of try it and if it works, fine if not then you have to use 2223 and play a full D7.

It seems to me that 0202 has little to do with a D-chord...

It's not 0202, it's 2020 that's used as a substitute for D7. As I said above it has the notes A, C & F# which is three of the four members of the D7 chord. It's the D that's missing so not strictly a D7 but a useful alternative in certain circumstances.

That's called a barre chord. You would use your entire index finger to "barre" all 4 strings on the second fret, then use another finger to get that note on the third fret. In my link there's a photo at top right of a guitar example that illustrates this well - same idea.

That's called a barre chord. You would use your entire index finger to "barre" all 4 strings on the second fret, then use another finger to get that note on the third fret. In my link there's a photo at top right of a guitar example that illustrates this well - same idea.

And now I know it has a name. I wasn't kidding when I posted my intro thread and said I was clueless! Thanks for the link. :)

No worries. I might not understand everything I am reading (in all the threads) but each one I read I do pick up something and I better learn what questions to ask. Sometimes just reading threads on things you don't understand for an hour a day and looking up a few things mentioned can be immensely helpful.

I went back out back and tried the D7 with my forefinger across all the strings and my middle finger on the first string. Super easy though my transition from other chords isn't terribly smooth, but hey! Practice! :)

Practice! :)

Yep, this :)

For what it's worth, I'm of the mind that one should learn barre chords/moveable chords early on. Beginner instruction tends to shy away from them at first and there seems to be this perception that they are really hard, but - I don't think they are. When you're first starting out, a lot of transitions are going to be difficult or not smooth - don't worry about it, just keep doing it and you'll get there!

:) I'm definitely not worried about perfection right now. Getting to be semi-competent at the basics will be enough for a while though I'm nowhere near that yet. I believe the next meeting of our local uke club is on the 26th- I was really hoping to go but unfortunately they meet at 5pm and I have to take my FIL to a Dr's appointment at 4pm so I will have to miss it this time.

Yep, this :)

For what it's worth, I'm of the mind that one should learn barre chords/moveable chords early on. Beginner instruction tends to shy away from them at first and there seems to be this perception that they are really hard, but - I don't think they are.
:agree:
Of course it's hard to form a proper barre chord when you try to look at the fretboard like beginners tend to do - but that's not the problem of the barre chord, it is all about posture.
And practice, of course.

This is my "posture" advice (YMMV):
  • do not look at your fretboard when playing, life is way easier in the long run with your fretboard perpendicular to the floor.
  • Keep your headstock roughly at the height of your fretting shoulder; it is not a crime to have the neck pointing upwards (after all we're not rock guitarists with instruments dangling around their knees).
  • Keep your thumb behind (slightly under) the neck (a bit like the classical guitar players) all the time, your fingers should be more or less relaxed and straightened, not cramped and curled.
    IMHO the thumb should never ever be used for fretting...
  • Don't be afraid to use a strap to keep the uke in the correct position.
  • Finally, don't press too hard. Just press hard enough to make the string ring clearly - that is quite often way less pressure than you think you would need. Don't try to squeeze the strings into the fretboard.

Top Bottom