Classy Fret Markers for a custom uke

SoloRule

Reaction score
I have placed an order on a custom tenor uke, I like to add some special touch to the fret markers. Pretty but funtional at the same time. I am thinking of those start from the side and extend a little bit to the face of the neck. I know it's out there , I just don't know where to search on the Internet.
It's appreciated if you can post images in your reply or suggested name brand that have similar design idea.
I am not looking for massive inlays ! Thanks

Check out Barron River and Hoffmann Lutherie.
image.jpg
image.jpg

Last edited:
See what suggestions your luthier has. Every luthier has their own style. Some custom ukes I can identify strictly based on the style of the custom fret markers.

You might look at your luthier's website as well as other luthiers' website for inspiration.

Last edited:
Here's an example of markers combining wood with shell:

26458422686_dda6b46c68_c.jpg

I like fretboards with no fret markers...but they do have side markers.....I can not remember what Luis does but my LFDM has no fret markers....I like the look of the wood and I never look at the markers when I play...but I need the side markers

but since you live in Toronto why just get fancy fret dots...maybe you can have the fretboard inlay done by Grit Lakins...I did not know he lives there too....:) super expensive by nice......

http://williamlaskin.com/contact/

Last edited:
I like fretboards with no fret markers...but they do have side markers.....I can not remember what Luis does but my LFDM has no fret markers....I like the look of the wood and I never look at the markers when I play...but I need the side markers

but since you live in Toronto why just get fancy fret dots...maybe you can have the fretboard inlay done by Grit Lakins...I did not know he lives there too....:) super expensive by nice......

Len
I just want something simple yet elegant so it doesn't add too much work and cost!
I like fret markers. I guess it's my security blanket even if I don't look at it!
Thanks for the Grit Lakins site. I guess we do have very talented Canadian. :)

Last edited:

My BR has markers like that, but of abalone. You can't see the abalone from the side, so there are the usual dots on mine. With this one in the link, the wood of the marker is visible, so no dots necessary. I like the abalone on mine and don't mind the dots, but I think the way it works on this soprano is pretty cool.

It's amazing to me how coincidences go, this morning I was preparing to line up the stick-on fret markers I bought for the bass uke I'm having modified and found that they are not quite the right size, so I went back to the Jockomo site and found a set that should work. Guess this is fret marker day.

Ukenbacker mod both 700.jpg

My next custom won't have any fret markers, just a single inlay. You only really see the side markers when you play anyway.

Top Bottom