PDA

View Full Version : Hard case for soprano?

gustophersmob
04-17-2016, 08:51 AM
Hi, as mentioned in my NUD thread, I just got a new soprano. I'd like to get a hard case for it, but I've noticed that all the ones I can find so far have a strip of padding that pushes right down I top of the bridge. In the guitar world, this is a recipe for a broken top. I'd like to find a hard case that doesn't push on the bridge.

Any ideas or suggestions?

whistleman123
04-17-2016, 09:24 AM
Look for a case with an arched top. A little more $'s, but it will address your problem.

gustophersmob
04-17-2016, 09:40 AM
Look for a case with an arched top. A little more $'s, but it will address your problem.

Thanks! Any specific brands or recommendations of what I should look at?

whistleman123
04-17-2016, 09:44 AM
You just have to hunt around. Amazon, ebay, musicions friend. I think a google search would be a good place to start. Since my soprano is sub $75 I just got an inexpensive flat top case.

pointpergame
04-17-2016, 01:19 PM
I have a protect max "foam" case. Picked it up on CL for $20 and now I'm surprised to find they actually sell for about $45+. But...while they are a little bulky --- they offer great protection and they're pleasantly warm and a bit soft to carry. I'm not positive, but the offering from Luna and Lanakai look similar and might be the same build as the so-called Max. I often see $25-ish cases on the local Craig's List.

gustophersmob
04-17-2016, 01:30 PM
Thanks for the suggestion. I should have clarified that I'm looking for a more traditional hard case, primarily because I prefer lathes to zippers. I don't mind if it's plastic, wood or fiberglass material wise.

The hard part is that pictures on the Internet are no usually clear enough to see if the case is arched or if the padding will press on the bridge. I'm hoping g someone has hands on experience with a specific case they can recommend.

joneo
04-17-2016, 02:22 PM
I have an inexpensive soprano hard case made by American Music Pro, bought off Amazon for around $45 or so. Apparently they come in other colors and designs besides black now. Anyway, it's a nice case that has some thicker padding around the edges where the uke body goes, but doesn't touch the bridge. Here's some pics so you can see the padding better. As you can see, my Kala long neck soprano fits just fine. No worries :-)

gustophersmob
04-17-2016, 02:45 PM
I have an inexpensive soprano hard case made by American Music Pro, bought off Amazon for around $45 or so. Apparently they come in other colors and designs besides black now. Anyway, it's a nice case that has some thicker padding around the edges where the uke body goes, but doesn't touch the bridge. Here's some pics so you can see the padding better. As you can see, my Kala long neck soprano fits just fine. No worries :-)

Awesome, thanks! That may work perfect. Looks like they have a tweed case that looks cool. I like the idea of an arched case, but they seem like they start around $65 from what I've seen.

actadh
04-17-2016, 03:04 PM
Oahu cases have an arched top.

gustophersmob
04-17-2016, 03:17 PM

Thanks! I'll check them out

TheCraftedCow
04-18-2016, 09:43 PM
The Eddy Finn Brown Rattan weave hard case has the same center cut out as the picture of the American Music Pro, and the compression to hold in place is over the supported from underneath fingerboard area. Let me know if something other than black catches your interest. I have them for soprano-concert and tenor sizes.

Peace Train
04-18-2016, 10:01 PM
+ 1 for Oahu cases. Transport my uke everywhere with one. Great, moderately priced case from HMS.

keats
04-19-2016, 04:30 AM
Hi,

Did you get soprano or concert size American Pro case for your Kala longneck soprano?

gustophersmob
04-19-2016, 04:35 AM
The Eddy Finn Brown Rattan weave hard case has the same center cut out as the picture of the American Music Pro, and the compression to hold in place is over the supported from underneath fingerboard area. Let me know if something other than black catches your interest. I have them for soprano-concert and tenor sizes.

Thanks. I have ordered a tweed case made by the same company as joneo's case. If it doesn't work out, I'll send you a PM.

gustophersmob
04-19-2016, 04:37 AM
+ 1 for Oahu cases. Transport my uke everywhere with one. Great, moderately priced case from HMS.

I like these the best, based on photos and reviews. The problem for me is price. Its almost $80 after shipping is figured in. So, I tried one of the less expensive kind from Amazon as suggested by joneo.

Peace Train
04-19-2016, 03:34 PM
I tried one of the less expensive kind from Amazon as suggested by joneo.

Congrats, looks like a good case. Report back when you get it and let us know how it works out for you.

joneo
04-19-2016, 10:28 PM
The tweed one does look nice. I have 2 sopranos and 1 long neck soprano and this soprano case accommodates them all just fine. I think you'll be OK, but please do post if it doesn't work for you.

gustophersmob
04-22-2016, 09:53 AM
Well, I got the tweed case today, and I really like the way it looks. Unfortunately, the fit and padding aren't the best. The top padding is great, doesn't put pressure on the bridge, but there is no padding at all on the back. Also, the friction tuners hit the back too. There is also about a 1/2" of extra room around the body. So, back it goes.

TheCraftedCow, do the Eddie Finn cases have any padding on the back side?

Anyone know if the superior vintage style cases have padding?

gustophersmob
04-22-2016, 10:12 AM
Well, I got the tweed case today, and I really like the way it looks. Unfortunately, the fit and padding aren't the best. The top padding is great, doesn't put pressure on the bridge, but there is no padding at all on the back. Also, the friction tuners hit the back too. There is also about a 1/2" of extra room around the body. So, back it goes.

TheCraftedCow, do the Eddie Finn cases have any padding on the back side?

Anyone know if the superior vintage style cases have padding?

Actually, I may have been thinking of the guardian vintage style case. Same question either way.

joneo
04-23-2016, 02:55 PM
Aw man, sorry that isn't exactly what you are looking for as-is. Keep in mind that it is an inexpensive case, so padding isn't going to be "the best". May have to save yer $ for awhile then. Not sure how much back padding a hard sided case needs anyway. I have not felt that my uke is compromised in any way in this case. (In fact, I have the tenor version as well.) But, to each their own. I suppose if you really wanted more padding in the back you could get a sheet of foam from your local craft store and cut it to shape. I made a custom gun case out of a viola case once doing this. Stripped the insides, sanded it, installed some foam padding wrapped in felt with a cool design, and the thing is freaking awesome. Holds a short barreled 9mm carbine nicely. But that's a story for another forum...

bullet08
04-23-2016, 03:04 PM
ordered musician's friend hard cases.. concert and soprano. it will be here on monday.. both below $50.. will post pix on monday..

gustophersmob
04-24-2016, 03:52 AM
ordered musician's friend hard cases.. concert and soprano. it will be here on monday.. both below $50.. will post pix on monday..

I'm very interested to hear how these work out.

gustophersmob
04-24-2016, 02:47 PM

Ok, if it helps end the search more quickly, I'm willing to expand my price range. With a new max limit of $100, can anyone recommend a case that has top and back padding, but the top padding does not put pressure on the bridge? Also needs to have enough depth so the friction tuners don't lay on the back of the case.

Does the Oahu meet those criteria?

If anyone has any decent pics of the insides of any recommendations that would also be super helpful! Thanks again for all the help.

bullet08
04-25-2016, 08:14 AM
https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-N6dX7Il2414/Vx5O5tuDY3I/AAAAAAAAFu8/y3aQXU2UokUuZCJ-GoyVdI0WAwH-NuFZwCCo/s800/IMAG4327-01.jpeg

it came, musician's friend hard case. not bad for $36 case. my kala ka cem fits nicely inside. no pushing down to close. the finish on concert case isn't as nice as on soprano, but i can live with it. hardware looks ok.

gustophersmob
04-25-2016, 09:18 AM
https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-N6dX7Il2414/Vx5O5tuDY3I/AAAAAAAAFu8/y3aQXU2UokUuZCJ-GoyVdI0WAwH-NuFZwCCo/s800/IMAG4327-01.jpeg

it came, musician's friend hard case. not bad for $36 case. my kala ka cem fits nicely inside. no pushing down to close. the finish on concert case isn't as nice as on soprano, but i can live with it. hardware looks ok.

Looks nice! Can you tell if the back is padded as well? Too bad the soprano sized case is $10 more, but if it works, it would be worth it to me.

gustophersmob
04-25-2016, 09:26 AM

Just realized that you said you ordered a soprano case too. Could you measure the depth of the headstock area? I'm trying to determine if it has clearance for friction pegs. Thanks!

bullet08
04-25-2016, 01:10 PM
let me measure it tonight. the cover is padded. but the pressure wasn't there closing the lid. there is thin pad on the bottom also. i think they were having sale on there price.. 15%..

bullet08
04-25-2016, 04:35 PM
the depth of headstock area is 2 7/8"..

gustophersmob
04-25-2016, 05:36 PM
the depth of headstock area is 2 7/8"..

Perfect, thanks! I think that is deep enough for my tuners.