Hard case for soprano?

gustophersmob

Reaction score
Hi, as mentioned in my NUD thread, I just got a new soprano. I'd like to get a hard case for it, but I've noticed that all the ones I can find so far have a strip of padding that pushes right down I top of the bridge. In the guitar world, this is a recipe for a broken top. I'd like to find a hard case that doesn't push on the bridge.

Any ideas or suggestions?

You just have to hunt around. Amazon, ebay, musicions friend. I think a google search would be a good place to start. Since my soprano is sub $75 I just got an inexpensive flat top case.

I have a protect max "foam" case. Picked it up on CL for $20 and now I'm surprised to find they actually sell for about $45+. But...while they are a little bulky --- they offer great protection and they're pleasantly warm and a bit soft to carry. I'm not positive, but the offering from Luna and Lanakai look similar and might be the same build as the so-called Max. I often see $25-ish cases on the local Craig's List.

Thanks for the suggestion. I should have clarified that I'm looking for a more traditional hard case, primarily because I prefer lathes to zippers. I don't mind if it's plastic, wood or fiberglass material wise.

The hard part is that pictures on the Internet are no usually clear enough to see if the case is arched or if the padding will press on the bridge. I'm hoping g someone has hands on experience with a specific case they can recommend.

I have an inexpensive soprano hard case made by American Music Pro, bought off Amazon for around $45 or so. Apparently they come in other colors and designs besides black now. Anyway, it's a nice case that has some thicker padding around the edges where the uke body goes, but doesn't touch the bridge. Here's some pics so you can see the padding better. As you can see, my Kala long neck soprano fits just fine. No worries :)

Attachments

• 2016-04-17 16.02.52.jpg
    2016-04-17 16.02.52.jpg
    99.1 KB · Views: 37
  • 20160417_160352.jpg
    20160417_160352.jpg
    96.6 KB · Views: 36
  • 20160417_155901.jpg
    20160417_155901.jpg
    95.1 KB · Views: 51
Last edited:
I have an inexpensive soprano hard case made by American Music Pro, bought off Amazon for around $45 or so. Apparently they come in other colors and designs besides black now. Anyway, it's a nice case that has some thicker padding around the edges where the uke body goes, but doesn't touch the bridge. Here's some pics so you can see the padding better. As you can see, my Kala long neck soprano fits just fine. No worries :)

Awesome, thanks! That may work perfect. Looks like they have a tweed case that looks cool. I like the idea of an arched case, but they seem like they start around $65 from what I've seen.

Oahu cases have an arched top.

The Eddy Finn Brown Rattan weave hard case has the same center cut out as the picture of the American Music Pro, and the compression to hold in place is over the supported from underneath fingerboard area. Let me know if something other than black catches your interest. I have them for soprano-concert and tenor sizes.

Hi,

Did you get soprano or concert size American Pro case for your Kala longneck soprano?

The Eddy Finn Brown Rattan weave hard case has the same center cut out as the picture of the American Music Pro, and the compression to hold in place is over the supported from underneath fingerboard area. Let me know if something other than black catches your interest. I have them for soprano-concert and tenor sizes.

Thanks. I have ordered a tweed case made by the same company as joneo's case. If it doesn't work out, I'll send you a PM.

+ 1 for Oahu cases. Transport my uke everywhere with one. Great, moderately priced case from HMS.

I like these the best, based on photos and reviews. The problem for me is price. Its almost $80 after shipping is figured in. So, I tried one of the less expensive kind from Amazon as suggested by joneo.

The tweed one does look nice. I have 2 sopranos and 1 long neck soprano and this soprano case accommodates them all just fine. I think you'll be OK, but please do post if it doesn't work for you.

Last edited:
Well, I got the tweed case today, and I really like the way it looks. Unfortunately, the fit and padding aren't the best. The top padding is great, doesn't put pressure on the bridge, but there is no padding at all on the back. Also, the friction tuners hit the back too. There is also about a 1/2" of extra room around the body. So, back it goes.

TheCraftedCow, do the Eddie Finn cases have any padding on the back side?

Anyone know if the superior vintage style cases have padding?

Well, I got the tweed case today, and I really like the way it looks. Unfortunately, the fit and padding aren't the best. The top padding is great, doesn't put pressure on the bridge, but there is no padding at all on the back. Also, the friction tuners hit the back too. There is also about a 1/2" of extra room around the body. So, back it goes.

TheCraftedCow, do the Eddie Finn cases have any padding on the back side?

Anyone know if the superior vintage style cases have padding?

Actually, I may have been thinking of the guardian vintage style case. Same question either way.

Aw man, sorry that isn't exactly what you are looking for as-is. Keep in mind that it is an inexpensive case, so padding isn't going to be "the best". May have to save yer $ for awhile then. Not sure how much back padding a hard sided case needs anyway. I have not felt that my uke is compromised in any way in this case. (In fact, I have the tenor version as well.) But, to each their own. I suppose if you really wanted more padding in the back you could get a sheet of foam from your local craft store and cut it to shape. I made a custom gun case out of a viola case once doing this. Stripped the insides, sanded it, installed some foam padding wrapped in felt with a cool design, and the thing is freaking awesome. Holds a short barreled 9mm carbine nicely. But that's a story for another forum...

Top Bottom