Leather uke hanger: is it safe for the ukulele?

JessicaM

Reaction score
image.jpgThis seems like a simple & cheap solution for having my ukes at the ready. Would you think the stress on the tuning pegs (geared) would be too much for long term?

(Soprano & concert ukes)

I was asking myself the same question a while back, and I googled a lot and found that MANY people do this with guitars (even electrical ones, and they are heavy) and see no ill effects. The uke is significantly lighter so I dont think you'll have any issues at all. I also know several stores that use this setup as well and that you can buy a uke hanger (http://www.ukulelehangers.com/index.php) from one of them.
Personally, I use this solution as well, because it's a simple and nice looking one :)!

Attachments

• 20160417_185937_resized.jpg
    20160417_185937_resized.jpg
    86.8 KB · Views: 53
Thanks! It's not like I'm going to hang a precious one anyway & I have a bunch of thick leather in the basement that I can just cut a strap from. I like that it stays on the uke while I'm playing so I won't lose it.

A bigger more important question is the humidity in the room you will be hanging these instruments. If you use dry heat in the winter I would suggest a different storage option or a room humidifier.

~AL~

I'd be more concerned about the humidity factor. If you live in an environment where your ukes need to be humidified, it's hard to do that and display them.

Edit: doh! Al beat me to it.

A bigger more important question is the humidity in the room you will be hanging these instruments. If you use dry heat in the winter I would suggest a different storage option or a room humidifier.

~AL~
This is a great point. I tend not to baby my instruments and that's earned me a nice little crack in the top of my most special guitar. Maybe it'll be my summer solution :)

I'd be more concerned about the humidity factor. If you live in an environment where your ukes need to be humidified, it's hard to do that and display them.
Absolutely, about half of the year I need to put the solids into their hard cases...

No, as I got this tip from my local music store. Furniture anti-scratch stickers which you put where the back meets the wall.

Attachments

• 20160417_210537_resized.jpg
    20160417_210537_resized.jpg
    31.7 KB · Views: 34
I use a similar looking solution made from 6mm (1/4") polypropylene cord ... works from ukuleles to bass guitars without a problem :)

I've been using these to hang 3 tenors for the past 6 months or so and I love em. I don't have any super duper high end ukulele's - these that are hanging are all Kala's in the $300 - $400 range. But if I did have a high end uke I don't think that I'd hesitate to do the same with it. I don't have humidity issues where I live - if I did I might pause and think about it a little bit more, but as it is.....it's great. When I hang them up I do have to be careful to hang them gently - I can see how slamming them against the wall could be an issue if you were somebody that couldn't be counted on to be careful. But as long as you're slow easing them back - no problem.

I had to laugh about myself a little bit when I was reading the threads about people who get bent out of shape when somebody plays with their tuner still on the headstock, because sometimes I pull these babies off the wall and play them with those leather straps still hanging on them. And then I hang them right back up. I'm not proud - but it's not like I'm walking out on stage with them that way or anything. It's just a quicky

Oh yeah on the other end of the strap I'm using these - they work great:

http://www.amazon.com/Command-Medium-Hooks-Clear-6-Hook/dp/B0084M66RC

I use those leather straps for my ukes, and have them in a controlled display case.

Shelf recent 1.jpg

Shelf recent 2.jpg

Last edited:
I was asking myself the same question a while back, and I googled a lot and found that MANY people do this with guitars (even electrical ones, and they are heavy) and see no ill effects. The uke is significantly lighter so I dont think you'll have any issues at all. I also know several stores that use this setup as well and that you can buy a uke hanger (http://www.ukulelehangers.com/index.php) from one of them.
Personally, I use this solution as well, because it's a simple and nice looking one :)!
I use those as well. I think that the most incredible thing is that on their video they show you how to tie them. I don't know why they would do that. I make my own. Is that some how unethical? I don't know. But with a little practice they are pretty easy to tie, and I don't have to get them shipped to Iowa from England. But they are very handy on the beach, as I can always find something sticking out of the sand to hang my uke on.

Last edited:
Just to toss out an alternative, I used leather twill, available by the roll, for my ukes...then, I came to an even better solution (for me).

Rubber bands. Uniform in length, can use two per uke if one is afraid of failure, more give than leather, and they just plain work superbly. Oh, and cheap, too. I use these
http://www.amazon.com/Alliance-X-tr...1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_search_detailpage

I'd be reluctant to use regular office-grade rubber bands. I've seen them deteriorate and eventually turn into a sticky mess. Not something I'd want on my nice ukes!

I'd be reluctant to use regular office-grade rubber bands. I've seen them deteriorate and eventually turn into a sticky mess. Not something I'd want on my nice ukes!

Rubber is also bad for some finishes, or so I hear anyway.

I also tie my own hangers like the one in the video I posted earlier. With paracord lying around in the house and me being a sport fisher, it felt silly not to...

Top Bottom