a really dumb question

scientist00

Reaction score
hiya!!! i'm sorry if this was asked before but my ukulele sounds weird and idk if it is in tune (i did the tuning by ear and so far all the strings sounds okay i guess???).

i recently got this back in march 11 or 12 i think? i was told it was because of the strings or something but it's like a Clifton ukulele and i got it for like 43 dollars or (2k in php)

ahhh that's all ty in advance for answers!!!

update : read some comments and i did what some of them told me to do
here's a link to what it sounds like
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pUuMCJ_CgL4

here is what it sounds like when played
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SSJCkf4mfio <--Tuned by ear
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xq_MGll4HM8 <--by a tuner (davis digital tuner) AT-320B

Last edited:
hiya!!! i'm sorry if this was asked before but my ukulele sounds weird and idk if it is in tune (i did the tuning by ear and so far all the strings sounds okay i guess???).

i recently got this back in march 11 or 12 i think? i was told it was because of the strings or something but it's like a Clifton ukulele and i got it for like 43 dollars or (2k in php)

ahhh that's all ty in advance for answers!!!

Buy a clip on tuner, they are inexpensive. It's possible that a ukulele that cheap might not have proper intonation.

I'd suggest using an online tuner to make sure it's good to go. http://ukutuner.com/ If they're in tune and it still sounds off, there may be other issues. But this is a quick, easy tool to make sure it's not the tuning.

When starting out, tunng by ear can be far from accurate. Would suggest downloading a tuning app, or one can get a tuner or pitch pipe for a couple bucks.

New strings are probably needed. Very few inexpensive instruments have strings worth a darn. It's one of those cost-cutting meaures that many mass-producers do. Getting a new set of strings can make a difference.

Consider the instrument as a "learning tool." If you read through the prior posts on set-up, tuning and the like, this instrument can help you learn the maintenance skills needed to keep a stringed instrument operating at its best - and that will also help your playing as well.

You might want to consider recording yourself playing the ukulele, one string at a time, starting with the string closest to you going down to the floor. Then post that recording in this forum, and members will be able to tell you whether your ukulele is tuned correctly or not. Alternatively, you could try to find a member here that would Skype or face time with you to help you tune the ukulele.

I'll second the advice to buy a clip on tuner, unless you've got a really good ear then I think they're pretty much a necessity for beginners. Failing that, download an app for your smartphone (assuming you have a smartphone). Learning to tune by ear comes with time.

A clip-on tuner will run you in the $5-10 range. Or download a free tuner for your cell phone. I have an app called "Tuner Lite" - just got it because it was free and it works well enough.

It would have been more helpful to hear each individual string. I'm going to offer some additional advice:

1) When you hold the ukulele, is the neck in your left hand, and the instrument supported by your right arm? This is how the majority of ukulele will be held. I ask because most people tune the ukulele from the order of strings closest to them and then down to the floor.

2) The top string (usually called the 4th string) is usually tuned to a G above middle C, particularly with Soprano and Concert ukuleles

3) The next string (usually called the 3rd string, and is visually the thickest string) is tuned to a middle C

4) The next string (usually called the 2nd string, 2nd from the floor) is tuned to an E above middle C

5) The final string (usually called the 1st string, closest to the floor) is tuned to an A above middle C

This video (not mine) should help:

If you're not playing with others, if your strings are at least in relative tune with each other, you can get by until you get a clip-on tuner, or an app (like DaTuner for Android) that can tell you if you're sharp or flat.

If you start by tuning the C (second) string to something approximating what you hear as a C, then you can set the pitches on the other strings by matching the pitch on various notes:
G (top) string = C string plucked at 7th fret
E (third) string = C string plucked at 4th fret
A (fourth) string = C string plucked at 9th fret or E string at 5th fret or G string at 2nd fret

Top Bottom