PDA

View Full Version : Ukulele fads on the forum and who follows them..

mm stan
04-19-2016, 07:06 AM
I'm intrested to know how much does it inspire to buy on other members
Recommendation posts. Whether its thats they are initially proud of their purchase, support the luthier, or its a popular brand.
I say this as i see many ukes go on sale quickly on the marketplace.
Ive learned to choose my luthiers on their style of building and my own
Personal preference. Sure i made lots of mistakes too, but its a learning experience
Fads come and go in anything even ukes, but owning a uke that sounds and plays well will always be foremost as a keeper through time.

Rllink
04-19-2016, 07:38 AM
I'm interested in how many people answer your thread truthfully.:)

cml
04-19-2016, 07:46 AM
Of course I was influenced by the forum, and that is how I found the work of Ken Timms. Martins have a really cool look, and from reading lots of posts on how good Ken's ukes were, it lead me to my purchase. Also, Ken seems to be a good chap judging from his helpful forum posts (he's helped me with my current build etc) and such things matter to me.
I was not disappointed, my new Style 0 is marvellous - so anyone reading this, go ahead and be influenced :P!

Croaky Keith
04-19-2016, 07:56 AM
The only time I followed a recommendation blindly was my first ever purchase, I asked for a recommendation & purchased from what was recommended.

It was good info for a newbie - but now I read, digest, & then go & listen to them online so that I can judge for myself. :cool:

janeray1940
04-19-2016, 08:02 AM
I *think* I'm being honest here when I say I've never "followed the crowd" based on forum posts when buying a uke. Some years ago, I wanted to buy a custom and there were two "flavor of the month" luthiers that kept getting recommended to me. I didn't go for either; one has hardly been mentioned on the forums since then that I know of, the other seems to pop up in the Marketplace for resale quite regularly.

(Side note: I did learn the lesson from buying a custom that I'm a "try before you buy" girl all the way, so after that experience, I've never been tempted by any of the more recent "luthiers of the month" that have come and gone... or stayed...)

spookelele
04-19-2016, 08:18 AM
In a similar vein, I've wondered how many great ukes have been made, that people forgot.

That Marcy Marxer that was in the market place seems like it was quite good. All solid, mini x-brace, and vids that seemed quite good if you like spruce.

I'd like to think a good uke is always good, but we seem to mostly spotlight the latest and greatest. How many great ukes... disappear to the dump because people forget.

actadh
04-19-2016, 08:24 AM
I bought my Brueko here on the Marketplace. It would never have been on my radar if the brand wasn't spoken of so highly here in the forums.

PhilUSAFRet
04-19-2016, 08:34 AM
Inspire to investigate? Often. To buy? Lots more to consider than a few recommendations on a forum, even if it is UU. I'm happy with that arrangement.

johnson430
04-19-2016, 08:34 AM
In a similar vein, I've wondered how many great ukes have been made, that people forgot.

How many great ukes... disappear to the dump because people forget.

I was just talking to another uke player yesterday about something similar to this.
On the same note, how many great ukes are sitting in closets, basements, attics or storage lockers...possibly aging poorly.

Back on topic:
I have never been a "flavor of the month" person.
All of my ukes were purchased with research and some patience. Except for the new one coming.
That was a little spontaneous on my part but it wasn't because of what others were saying.
I had looked at Koaloha before and had been interested in them since seeing Daniel Ho play one in the Alfred Method Beginner DVD.
I always thought they would be out my reach because they go for 900+ which is out of my budget.
When I saw one for under 600 I didn't want to regret not trying to get it.

dkcrown
04-19-2016, 08:40 AM
Aloha Stan. I have purchased ukes on recommendations from the forum, and some on my own curiosity about a builder or a particular brand. Heck, almost everything I know about ukuleles I have learned though this wonderful website. I have bought and sold many ukes over the years here, and I know that different people look for different things in their ukes. There are some people here who's opinions I value very much when it comes to buying ukes. But most opinions here I take with a grain of salt. Because one man's keeper, is another man's flip. (or woman's) And you are absolutely right in that, for me anyway, it comes down to sound and playability.

Recently I have been selling off many of my ukes because of financial obligations, not because they are not "keepers" in my book. (I'll be listing another here soon) :) In the meantime, I still check in from time to time to see what the "uke du jour" is.

mmfitzsimons
04-19-2016, 08:44 AM
Depends who's talking, and how I happen to relate to it. Example: I just ordered some Oasis strings solely because Chuck Moore mentioned that he mixes their strings with Southcoast strings. Chuck Moore seems to know a thing or two about ukuleles, and I'm a huge fan of Southcoast strings, so I thought I should try for myself.

I don't think that makes me a fad follower. I think it just makes me open minded. :)

mm stan
04-19-2016, 09:01 AM
Of course I was influenced by the forum, and that is how I found the work of Ken Timms. Martins have a really cool look, and from reading lots of posts on how good Ken's ukes were, it lead me to my purchase. Also, Ken seems to be a good chap judging from his helpful forum posts (he's helped me with my current build etc) and such things matter to me.
I was not disappointed, my new Style 0 is marvellous - so anyone reading this, go ahead and be influenced :P!

Aloha CMI, I'm glad you found your ukulele of your dreams..I have one too...and its a punchy tone Happy Strummings

hawaii 50
04-19-2016, 09:02 AM
nice thread Stan..hope it does not become a name calling thread though....:)

you and me are lucky as we can see/play many of the ukes mentioned on the UU from Andrew at HMS....I think I like mostly all of the ukes I get a chance to play....if I had the money I would buy all of them....but since that impossible I try to get ukes from the builders I like and respect..and hopefully have met....sometimes this hard to do but many builders are here in Hawaii or come for a visit....

I try to make my own decisions...but I do try to stay away from Fads....how about you....haha...:)

since I know Chuck..i also go by his views on strings most builders have no time to test different strings but Chuck is one of the few who does his homework....

my 2 cents

mm stan
04-19-2016, 09:05 AM
The only time I followed a recommendation blindly was my first ever purchase, I asked for a recommendation & purchased from what was recommended.

It was good info for a newbie - but now I read, digest, & then go & listen to them online so that I can judge for myself. :cool:

I Agree uke 1950 do your research and ask ones who own the ukulele of your interest, and trust their judgement on their experience.... some times buying sight unseen is a gamble,
and of course.. the golden rule try before you buy...especially on lower level ukes consistency on tone....what may work for others, may not be your cup of coffee

mm stan
04-19-2016, 09:10 AM
Aloha the Devine Miss M,
sometimes we miss the lesser known luthiers who do good work too, and they fade away, so sad..I know a couple that I've always wanted but the timing was not right or never came available
while other brands can differ so drastically in tone consistency....I guess in every brand or luthier the are Gems out of the bunch so to speak...they can be cheap or expensive...when you say try
before you buy, this applies to that... :) happy strummings

I *think* I'm being honest here when I say I've never "followed the crowd" based on forum posts when buying a uke. Some years ago, I wanted to buy a custom and there were two "flavor of the month" luthiers that kept getting recommended to me. I didn't go for either; one has hardly been mentioned on the forums since then that I know of, the other seems to pop up in the Marketplace for resale quite regularly.

(Side note: I did learn the lesson from buying a custom that I'm a "try before you buy" girl all the way, so after that experience, I've never been tempted by any of the more recent "luthiers of the month" that have come and gone... or stayed...)

mm stan
04-19-2016, 09:13 AM

That Marcy Marxer that was in the market place seems like it was quite good. All solid, mini x-brace, and vids that seemed quite good if you like spruce.

I'd like to think a good uke is always good, but we seem to mostly spotlight the latest and greatest. How many great ukes... disappear to the dump because people forget.
Aloha Spooky,
Yes as i just mentioned to Miss M, there were luthiers in the past who made exceptional ukes, which did not get much exposure that sound amazing in their own way
I have a few of them, for sure they are keepers ...

mm stan
04-19-2016, 09:18 AM
Aloha Johnson,
One thing I learned about buying ukes you mention... one will come along most times at a great price used.. all you need is patience and try to buy spontaneously
Used ukes is a great bargain, as you get a higher end ukulele for a better price...but be careful of lemons, try before you buy...

I was just talking to another uke player yesterday about something similar to this.
On the same note, how many great ukes are sitting in closets, basements, attics or storage lockers...possibly aging poorly.

Back on topic:
I have never been a "flavor of the month" person.
All of my ukes were purchased with research and some patience. Except for the new one coming.
That was a little spontaneous on my part but it wasn't because of what others were saying.
I had looked at Koaloha before and had been interested in them since seeing Daniel Ho play one in the Alfred Method Beginner DVD.
I always thought they would be out my reach because they go for 900+ which is out of my budget.
When I saw one for under 600 I didn't want to regret not trying to get it.

mm stan
04-19-2016, 09:22 AM
Aloha Dana,
I know you been here a long time and you went through the whole buy and upgrading process and gained much experience.... I'm saddened you had to sell some of your favorite ukes,
to financial obligations, however I know you will recover and get better ones in the future.....remember most any uke played for a while you can learn something different from, it part of the
learning process and curb... Happy strummings :)

mm stan
04-19-2016, 09:26 AM
Aloha MMfitzsimmons,
Agreed, Yes there are some you trust their judgement more than others... Chuck moore is one of them, not only as a top notch builder but also one who has been around a long time with tons of
experience...he probably was on of the first UU members here also.. BTW one of the nicest persons I know who always shares his knowledge.....

Depends who's talking, and how I happen to relate to it. Example: I just ordered some Oasis strings solely because Chuck Moore mentioned that he mixes their strings with Southcoast strings. Chuck Moore seems to know a thing or two about ukuleles, and I'm a huge fan of Southcoast strings, so I thought I should try for myself.

I don't think that makes me a fad follower. I think it just makes me open minded. :)

mm stan
04-19-2016, 09:31 AM
Aloha Rllink,
I think all will answer honestly their views on their experience, Im sure many of us had to overcome the learning curb in attaining the best ukes they can get...just nice to hear their
stories .....
I'm interested in how many people answer your thread truthfully.:)[/QUOTE]

mm stan
04-19-2016, 09:34 AM
Aloha Laura,
Oops i skipped a few... sorry.. Yes Im glad it worked out well for you and you enjoy your Bruenko, Ive never tried one though but then I live on a rock in the middle of the sea...Happy Strummings :)

I bought my Brueko here on the Marketplace. It would never have been on my radar if the brand wasn't spoken of so highly here in the forums.

mm stan
04-19-2016, 09:38 AM
Aloha Phil,
So sorry to have skipped you....my tablet is working wonky....Yes lots of avenues of information out there aside UU, you tube, FB, company links, friends etc... all to keep in
mind on your decision...never hurts to do your homework before buying...even ebay or flea market marketplace has some great deals....you just have to have the patience to check every day
Happy Strummings Phil

Inspire to investigate? Often. To buy? Lots more to consider than a few recommendations on a forum, even if it is UU. I'm happy with that arrangement.

Moore Bettah Ukuleles
04-19-2016, 09:42 AM
I just ordered some Oasis strings solely because Chuck Moore mentioned that he mixes their strings with Southcoast strings. Chuck Moore seems to know a thing or two about ukuleles, and I'm a huge fan of Southcoast strings, so I thought I should try for myself.

Thank you for your trust, deserved or not. But I need to update you. Lately I've become an even bigger fan of Thomastik-Infeld strings (G & C) to go with the Oasis fluorocarbons (E & A). But i don't want to highjack this thread and turn it into a string thread. There have been enough of those fads over the years as well! :)

dkcrown
04-19-2016, 09:46 AM
Aloha Dana,
I know you been here a long time and you went through the whole buy and upgrading process and gained much experience.... I'm saddened you had to sell some of your favorite ukes,
to financial obligations, however I know you will recover and get better ones in the future.....remember most any uke played for a while you can learn something different from, it part of the
learning process and curb... Happy strummings :)

Oh Stan, no need to feel sorry for me selling some of my ukes. Two boys in college with another to follow takes priorities. (Although one is graduating in two weeks, fingers crossed) And you know I still have a few nice ones to play :)

fowl
04-19-2016, 10:10 AM
When I got interested in yhe uke several years back I took the advice that the Flea was a great first uke and I have never regreted that advice. I have let a bunch of people grab that uke including many kids and it dtill looks and sounds fantastic. I have never looked at expensive ukes for myself. I try to find inexpensive playable ukes, do a ste-up, and give them to kids or beginners. I have now started a uke club at my church for beginners, so there should be several people to help.

coolkayaker1
04-19-2016, 10:11 AM

I agree. I've owned a lot of custom ukuleles. How many do I still own: zero. I, too, are no longer tempted by any custom builder (and that includes not only ukes, but also houses, cars, and clothes).

JJFN
04-19-2016, 10:18 AM
Aloha Stan, a very interesting subject. I do take ideas and advice from other members. But I have a great deal of respect for these people and their opinions. I take advice on strings, books and such. On a ukulele that would be based on my knowledge, research and opinion. So I guess to sum up, I do for some things take advice and perhaps buy the flavor of the month on certain things.

Mivo
04-19-2016, 10:21 AM
This forum community's focus on tenors inspired me to pick up two tenors, because I felt, based on posts and opinion trends, that this is the size for the "serious player", for "fitting in", kind of like the "end game" where it's all headed, even though that size hadn't been on my horizon before.

The tenor size didn't turn out to by favorite, at least for now, and I'm currently spending most of my time with a soprano. I thought the concert size might be perfect, but right now I favor the regular soprano size and the longneck soprano hybrid, both for "feel" and especially tone. Not sure how I'll feel in a year or two, preferences do change, though I seem to be back where I started (just with seven ukes that weren't there before! :)).

The exposure to "what's out there", chiefly by way of the forum, has been both a source of inspiration and doubt. Inspiration - to try out different sizes, strings, and woods. And doubt - that what I have is "good enough" or even the right choice for me. Sometimes, the forum shifts my focus to the material, away from the music, though at times it also does the opposite: pulls my attention back to the music and away from the material.

Honest enough? :)

mm stan
04-19-2016, 10:58 AM
Aloha Fowl,
Nothing wrong with any Ukulele, the main thing that its your preference style and you like the tone and feel....I had my fluke at least 5 years or more.. its a great uke always out of the bag ready to strum...Happy Strummings :)

When I got interested in yhe uke several years back I took the advice that the Flea was a great first uke and I have never regreted that advice. I have let a bunch of people grab that uke including many kids and it dtill looks and sounds fantastic. I have never looked at expensive ukes for myself. I try to find inexpensive playable ukes, do a ste-up, and give them to kids or beginners. I have now started a uke club at my church for beginners, so there should be several people to help.

mm stan
04-19-2016, 11:00 AM
I agree. I've owned a lot of custom ukuleles. How many do I still own: zero. I, too, are no longer tempted by any custom builder (and that includes not only ukes, but also houses, cars, and clothes).

Aloha CooL,
You telling me you don't own a BMW and wear gucci watch and suits ? :) Im happy with my timex watch too :)

mm stan
04-19-2016, 11:03 AM
Aloha JJFN,
Yes always rely on more experienced and knowledgeable experienced than yourself to pick within the top three choices ....always works for me in anything :)

Aloha Stan, a very interesting subject. I do take ideas and advice from other members. But I have a great deal of respect for these people and their opinions. I take advice on strings, books and such. On a ukulele that would be based on my knowledge, research and opinion. So I guess to sum up, I do for some things take advice and perhaps buy the flavor of the month on certain things.

mm stan
04-19-2016, 11:06 AM
This forum community's focus on tenors inspired me to pick up two tenors, because I felt, based on posts and opinion trends, that this is the size for the "serious player", for "fitting in", kind of like the "end game" where it's all headed, even though that size hadn't been on my horizon before.

The tenor size didn't turn out to by favorite, at least for now, and I'm currently spending most of my time with a soprano. I thought the concert size might be perfect, but right now I favor the regular soprano size and the longneck soprano hybrid, both for "feel" and especially tone. Not sure how I'll feel in a year or two, preferences do change, though I seem to be back where I started (just with seven ukes that weren't there before! ).

The exposure to "what's out there", chiefly by way of the forum, has been both a source of inspiration and doubt. Inspiration - to try out different sizes, strings, and woods. And doubt - that what I have is "good enough" or even the right choice for me. Sometimes, the forum shifts my focus to the material, away from the music, though at times it also does the opposite: pulls my attention back to the music and away from the material.

Honest enough?
Aloha Mivo,
I guess if one has the finances to got through the upgrade gammit, of ukes, woods and strings.. why now.. its a great learning experience...if you did not try youll never know..
but I guessing in time youll enjoy all sizes and tunings....Happy strummings :)

igorthebarbarian
04-19-2016, 02:45 PM
This is kind of a chicken before the egg thing in terms of fads and trends... If they weren't popular enough then they wouldn't be trendy. But then they have to get to be somewhat trendy or cutting edge to even get produced in the first place.

I think this forum perpetuates that by exposing all of us to other brands/ other types of materials/ other shapes/ other strings, etc. If all I knew was what my local Sam Ash/Guitar Center had, I probably would not have stuck around here. I definitely would not know about all of these other sizes/ shapes/ brands that I've been fortunate to own and try out. (My wife would disagree with this entire post and say just pick one and stick with that)

Jim Hanks
04-19-2016, 03:15 PM
If you look at my sig, I think I can safely say I don't follow many trends but probably all my uke purchases have been guided by recommendations from other UUers. Whether it was a review, a sound sample, or just a pointer to new-to-me information.

DownUpDave
04-19-2016, 03:19 PM
Two years ago I had never picked up a uke so I had to aquire my knowledge from somewhere. Living in Canada we have next to no variety for ukes in music stores. This forum and its members are a treasure trove of information. I have gotten a lot of good advice and followed it. Whether it was a fad or not I really can't say...........if something is popular it is usually popular for a reason. Now if that reason happens to by good for you or not only one person can tell and that is yourself.

Buy it, try it, if you don't like it then sell it. One persons cast off is another persons keeper.

Peace Train
04-19-2016, 03:28 PM
Sure, the excitement of a NUD and all the comments can stir emotions, but unless I'm able to feel and play a uke in person, I can only rely on things like visuals, sound, and my own gut instincts. Because ultimately, it's me who has to be happy with my decision. And it's a way I attempt to keep myself in check. ;) Same applies to any negatives said.

Of course, it's difficult not to be influenced one way or another...especially by popular opinion. And when I come across a comment that sheds light upon a thing, or makes me reconsider something I hadn't thought of, well that's an invaluable part of the forum experience!

Kyle23
04-19-2016, 05:56 PM
I actually find myself doing the opposite of the things most people like. It seems like the most popular things on this forum, I have no interest in. Things like flukes, fleas, electric ukes, risas, and things like that never interested me. I did buy a KoAloha and I learned about them from the forums, but I don't think a Uke of that caliber is really a "fad". I can say though that I let bad reviews shape my opinion of ukes, but I've never bought something because it was recommended. Maybe my KPK but I was more steered that way to check them out and then shaped my own opinion on them.

mm stan
04-19-2016, 07:17 PM
Aloha Igor,
I think its nice to try as many as you can financially afford, while relying on the current trendy ukes, and impulse buying online....for some they have no ukulele stores where they live and take their
chances buying online...Im guessing that if you buy from a reputable dealer, most times they may be returned or exchanged, which cuts down the risk factor for on the shelf ukes :)

This is kind of a chicken before the egg thing in terms of fads and trends... If they weren't popular enough then they wouldn't be trendy. But then they have to get to be somewhat trendy or cutting edge to even get produced in the first place.

I think this forum perpetuates that by exposing all of us to other brands/ other types of materials/ other shapes/ other strings, etc. If all I knew was what my local Sam Ash/Guitar Center had, I probably would not have stuck around here. I definitely would not know about all of these other sizes/ shapes/ brands that I've been fortunate to own and try out. (My wife would disagree with this entire post and say just pick one and stick with that)

mm stan
04-19-2016, 07:20 PM
Aloha Jim,
All I can say you've got alot of ukes :) I know the cocobolo and ono ukes are very hot now and pretty popular....two ukes that are on my list... Happy strummings :)

If you look at my sig, I think I can safely say I don't follow many trends but probably all my uke purchases have been guided by recommendations from other UUers. Whether it was a review, a sound sample, or just a pointer to new-to-me information.

mm stan
04-19-2016, 07:29 PM
Aloha Dave,
Just As I was saying to Igor, accessibility to ukes where they live may be an issue for some, and online buying from a reputable seller takes alot of the risk out of the equation..I do agree
information online now gives us access that the last generation did not have, even for tabs or chords...i was never into the buy and sell thing for some reason, hard to part with any Luke for me
Ive had maybe one or two duds in all my buying which Im grateful...the thing that bothers me if I have a ukulele I know its bad, I would feel real bad selling it to someone else...

Two years ago I had never picked up a uke so I had to aquire my knowledge from somewhere. Living in Canada we have next to no variety for ukes in music stores. This forum and its members are a treasure trove of information. I have gotten a lot of good advice and followed it. Whether it was a fad or not I really can't say...........if something is popular it is usually popular for a reason. Now if that reason happens to by good for you or not only one person can tell and that is yourself.

Buy it, try it, if you don't like it then sell it. One persons cast off is another persons keeper.

mm stan
04-19-2016, 07:36 PM
Aloha Peace Train..
I do agree the hunt, the buy, waiting for the duke to come, and initial playing is more addictive than UAS alone...looking for great deals and bartering used ukes also can be fun
sometime I used to buy on impulse on the spur ....it sure can be addictive and fun if you can afford it.. or until you cannot :)
I don't feel though videos is sometimes enough for me as I'm spoiled and can walk in a ukulele store Like HMS which is like a supermarket of ukes...I do believe it try before you buy senerio

Sure, the excitement of a NUD and all the comments can stir emotions, but unless I'm able to feel and play a uke in person, I can only rely on things like visuals, sound, and my own gut instincts. Because ultimately, it's me who has to be happy with my decision. And it's a way I attempt to keep myself in check. ;) Same applies to any negatives said.

Of course, it's difficult not to be influenced one way or another...especially by popular opinion. And when I come across a comment that sheds light upon a thing, or makes me reconsider something I hadn't thought of, well that's an invaluable part of the forum experience!

mm stan
04-19-2016, 07:40 PM
Aloha Kyle,
for some reason I did not take that road to skip the budget ukes and go to a premimum ukulele as you did.. there are pros and cons like anything else.. I went the other road trying alot of ukes
for the experience, rather saving my money and buying the best i could afford...I don't knock either way, both are fun, of course now my place is cluttered with ukes and thats not a bad thing either :)
happy strummings :)

I actually find myself doing the opposite of the things most people like. It seems like the most popular things on this forum, I have no interest in. Things like flukes, fleas, electric ukes, risas, and things like that never interested me. I did buy a KoAloha and I learned about them from the forums, but I don't think a Uke of that caliber is really a "fad". I can say though that I let bad reviews shape my opinion of ukes, but I've never bought something because it was recommended. Maybe my KPK but I was more steered that way to check them out and then shaped my own opinion on them.

igorthebarbarian
04-19-2016, 08:36 PM
I like that mm stan has personally replied to each person's post here on this thread :)

Steveperrywriter
04-19-2016, 09:21 PM
I have four custom ukes, three of which I came to own because of the forum. (The fourth was because I have a guitar by the luthier, and when he made an ukulele that matched it, I couldn't pass it up.)

It was by reading what the builders had to say in the luthiers' section that first drew my attention; their philosophies, what they did, and why, and how. After that, I looked for videos of their instruments, recordings, and comments from customers and owners.

I sent them notes, opened discussions, and when I found we got along, moved forward.

I have zero complaints about our interactions, have been satisfied -- nay -- thrilled with what they made. Getting to work with craftsmen and artists who know what they are doing is a delight.

UU -- the Forum, the video lessons, tabs, and back-and-forth with folks who drop round -- has been the biggest influence on my decisions about what to buy, from whom. There is a wealth of knowledge available here I haven't found anywhere else. True, I don't always see eye-to-eye with folks in some of our discussions, but overall, the UU experience is, for me, unmatched online.

Peace Train
04-19-2016, 09:24 PM
I like that mm stan has personally replied to each person's post here on this thread :)

It's the personal touch and aloha spirit that he brings to UU which helps make it an enjoyable place to be. Mahalo Stan!

Kyle23
04-19-2016, 09:49 PM
Aloha Kyle,
for some reason I did not take that road to skip the budget ukes and go to a premimum ukulele as you did.. there are pros and cons like anything else.. I went the other road trying alot of ukes
for the experience, rather saving my money and buying the best i could afford...I don't knock either way, both are fun, of course now my place is cluttered with ukes and thats not a bad thing either :)
happy strummings :)

I actually started out with a cheap Luna then went onto a less than stellar Koloa, so I didn't really jump into great ukes. Those two did make me want to move onto quality ones though.

Teek
04-19-2016, 11:04 PM
Hi Stan! Interesting question.

I just wanted a playable uke in the beginning. Then when I started learning the history and seeing all the varieties available, my curiosity was fully piqued. I like to experience a lot of widely varying things and have a lot of interests. I also am a craftsman and an art collector so naturally gravitated towards higher end and luthier custom instruments. I learned of makes and models in UU and FMM and other sources, but really got a lot of my info and love or lust from what MGM promoted. He made the look, specs, and sound samples available so he was my go to. If not for him I would not have my Ponos, Kanile'as or my Maui Music. Probably my Risa LP tenor was my most UU influenced uke. I also hopped on the Clara Roadtrip list because of UU and was happy to have it to try, but not impressed enough to buy one, though indirectly it led me to my Composite Acoustics Cargo carbon fiber guitar. Now HMS fills that one stop shop that MGM had for me but I want the high end stuff and I already have enough ukes.

I had a lot of fun for a few years buying and selling on the marketplace and had a lot of interest in others' reviews when I was doing so.

The only custom I ordered myself was after I had played a Brad Donaldson and loved it. It is still one of my very best ukes, I'd put it on the same level with my Collings and Custom Kanile'a.

I learned tons and I have my keepers and it's time to move on to other things.

mm stan
04-19-2016, 11:12 PM
Aloha Igor,
thank you for noticing and mentioning it...I appreciate everyones responses and Im returning the Aloha :)

mm stan
04-19-2016, 11:21 PM
Aloha Steve,
Ive noticed you too have taken the direct route to get the best ukes from the best builders and you have an amazing family of ukes....I have to agree UU and online is a treasure trove of information
available to us, We are very fortunate..... I too at the beginning listened to the ones in the know and at the end for the most times jumped at the opportunity to upgrade my ukulele family also.
but I did listen, retain and then decide if its the right decision to purchase... I may have taken the longer road than you by buying my every desire and I wouldn't change looking back now.. Happy
Strummings :)

I have four custom ukes, three of which I came to own because of the forum. (The fourth was because I have a guitar by the luthier, and when he made an ukulele that matched it, I couldn't pass it up.)

It was by reading what the builders had to say in the luthiers' section that first drew my attention; their philosophies, what they did, and why, and how. After that, I looked for videos of their instruments, recordings, and comments from customers and owners.

I sent them notes, opened discussions, and when I found we got along, moved forward.

I have zero complaints about our interactions, have been satisfied -- nay -- thrilled with what they made. Getting to work with craftsmen and artists who know what they are doing is a delight.

UU -- the Forum, the video lessons, tabs, and back-and-forth with folks who drop round -- has been the biggest influence on my decisions about what to buy, from whom. There is a wealth of knowledge available here I haven't found anywhere else. True, I don't always see eye-to-eye with folks in some of our discussions, but overall, the UU experience is, for me, unmatched online.

mm stan
04-19-2016, 11:26 PM
It's the personal touch and aloha spirit that he brings to UU which helps make it an enjoyable place to be. Mahalo Stan!

Aloha Peace Train,
This is what makes UU forums the best possible forum on the internet Possible....Aloha, I always try to do my best to show it and appreciate others when they do...UU has always made
my day even after 5 years plus later, I feel that same as the first day .... I want to personally thank all the members, moderators and Administrators for doing so.. :)

mm stan
04-19-2016, 11:29 PM
I actually started out with a cheap Luna then went onto a less than stellar Koloa, so I didn't really jump into great ukes. Those two did make me want to move onto quality ones though.

Aloha Kyle,
Yes even with a shorter history of buying ukes, You got a K brand hawaiian ukulele before I did .... :) it took me a while to warm up to drop the cash for a Premimum ukulele

mm stan
04-19-2016, 11:40 PM
Hi Stan! Interesting question.

I just wanted a playable uke in the beginning. Then when I started learning the history and seeing all the varieties available, my curiosity was fully piqued. I like to experience a lot of widely varying things and have a lot of interests. I also am a craftsman and an art collector so naturally gravitated towards higher end and luthier custom instruments. I learned of makes and models in UU and FMM and other sources, but really got a lot of my info and love or lust from what MGM promoted. He made the look, specs, and sound samples available so he was my go to. If not for him I would not have my Ponos, Kanile'as or my Maui Music. Probably my Risa LP tenor was my most UU influenced uke. I also hopped on the Clara Roadtrip list because of UU and was happy to have it to try, but not impressed enough to buy one, though indirectly it led me to my Composite Acoustics Cargo carbon fiber guitar. Now HMS fills that one stop shop that MGM had for me but I want the high end stuff and I already have enough ukes.

I had a lot of fun for a few years buying and selling on the marketplace and had a lot of interest in others' reviews when I was doing so.

The only custom I ordered myself was after I had played a Brad Donaldson and loved it. It is still one of my very best ukes, I'd put it on the same level with my Collings and Custom Kanile'a.

I learned tons and I have my keepers and it's time to move on to other things.
Aloha Teekie,
I really miss my friend Mike Aratani, Not only he knew about ukes, But he was one of the nicest persons I ever knew on the face of the earth...He had a kind heart :)
He shared his knowledge with everyone and help build the ukulele market to what it is now...If you asked anyone who has met him or did business with him, youll never hear a bad thing about him
I remember on kid came on line and he did not have money to buy strings, he said send me your address.....just like that
Yes I know you been buying early on some nice ukes too.. I remember I always wanted that maui music 8 stringer you had, you beat me to that one...:)
I do agree one ukes that caught my attention was my brad donaldson too, I was so amazed on the tone of my little soprano, still am....there are several other luthiers that never achieved the success that was due to them, but if you had the opportunity to have one, you know it is special...I hope you continue to play your ukes teekie, Happy Strummings

plunker
04-20-2016, 12:47 AM
When I want to move up from my Kayla K AT, I read so may good things about Pono I got one. Not disappointed at all.

bonesoup
04-20-2016, 12:56 AM
Like what's a current fad on the boards, for example?

Only thing I can think of for myself is pretty broad. When I was more into guitars, I never had a desire for a custom made by an individual luthier. For my first real uke I wanted and bought a K brand. But when I came to UU and saw how much people want and value luthiers' work, I got bit by that bug.

mm stan
04-20-2016, 01:17 AM
When I want to move up from my Kayla K AT, I read so may good things about Pono I got one. Not disappointed at all.

Aloha Plunker, yup buying a pono is one of the best deals if bought from
HMS with their amazing setup, you just cant go wrong there.. happy strummings :)

mm stan
04-20-2016, 01:22 AM
Like what's a current fad on the boards, for example?

Only thing I can think of for myself is pretty broad. When I was more into guitars, I never had a desire for a custom made by an individual luthier. For my first real uke I wanted and bought a K brand. But when I came to UU and saw how much people want and value luthiers' work, I got bit by that bug.

Aloha Bonesoup,
Yes you came in the right time, where a luthiers uke is much adored and valued. They been evolving and
More better in tone, playability, and looks. So many good luthiers to choose from for your style preference.
Happy strummings, in brazil huh, wow maybe one day, carnival :)

guitharsis
04-20-2016, 01:46 AM
I'm intrested to know how much does it inspire to buy on other members
Recommendation posts. Whether its thats they are initially proud of their purchase, support the luthier, or its a popular brand.
I say this as i see many ukes go on sale quickly on the marketplace.
Ive learned to choose my luthiers on their style of building and my own
Personal preference. Sure i made lots of mistakes too, but its a learning experience
Fads come and go in anything even ukes, but owning a uke that sounds and plays well will always be foremost as a keeper through time.

Yes, I've definitely been inspired/influenced by other members recommendations on UU. I've decided to stick with K brands and recently ordered two 100th Anniversary Kamakas. Also love my Kanile'a and KoAloha. To help finance my two new Kamakas, decided to let a mandolin and luthier made ukulele go. Now, I'm having second thoughts and may not sell it.

mm stan
04-20-2016, 01:57 AM
Aloha Guitarsis,
Yes you know ive been following your uke buying from the start, till now to hawaiian K brands
Wow youre getting two more Kamakas. ..way to go girl :)
Yes I know you been influenced by some here and HMS... Im so happy for you with the ukes you got now.
Happy strummings :)

greenie44
04-20-2016, 03:18 AM
You got me thinking on this one, Stan.

I read the forums here pretty religiously, so I understand the trends you are talking about. And I certainly respect the opinions expressed here. But I realized that almost every one of my ukes came about after actually trying them, or one like them.

My first uke, the one that pulled me in, I purchased after picking it up at the Aloha Stadium Swap Meet - it fell in with me immediately. My next uke was another version of that one.

My better ukes all came after I tried them: my Kanile'a after taking a "blind test" with MGM at HMS, the Collings after playing one at Gryphon, and my Kinnard after picking it up at the Oahu Uke Fest. (A snap decision that I have not regretted for a moment.) The one 'fad' I tried to follow did not work out so well, and I think it re-inforced my standard practice.

The exceptions to this pattern came when I was looking to fill a particular need and looked for a used instrument in the forum, but those were different types of purchases.

I might add that the "try and buy" approach was corrupted to a huge extent by a friend who let me try a large number of amazing ukes. You know who you are!

mm stan
04-20-2016, 03:35 AM
Aloha Greenie44,
LOL I wish you were here for the ukulele guild show this year....was the best I heard ever....Chuck, Rollo, Steve Grimes, Eric Devine, David Ingals, Joji Kanda, and many others were all in the same room
Kevin of kinnard ukes too bought some special ukes...it was nice having lunch with Kevin and wife, Kim Hussey, Mark and Greg afterwards....Kanilea had an awesome uke I wanted but was not for sale..
dang.. it sounded amazing....90378 wish you were here..90379

You got me thinking on this one, Stan.

I read the forums here pretty religiously, so I understand the trends you are talking about. And I certainly respect the opinions expressed here. But I realized that almost every one of my ukes came about after actually trying them, or one like them.

My first uke, the one that pulled me in, I purchased after picking it up at the Aloha Stadium Swap Meet - it fell in with me immediately. My next uke was another version of that one.

My better ukes all came after I tried them: my Kanile'a after taking a "blind test" with MGM at HMS, the Collings after playing one at Gryphon, and my Kinnard after picking it up at the Oahu Uke Fest. (A snap decision that I have not regretted for a moment.) The one 'fad' I tried to follow did not work out so well, and I think it re-inforced my standard practice.

The exceptions to this pattern came when I was looking to fill a particular need and looked for a used instrument in the forum, but those were different types of purchases.

I might add that the "try and buy" approach was corrupted to a huge extent by a friend who let me try a large number of amazing ukes. You know who you are!

mm stan
04-20-2016, 03:42 AM

mm stan
04-20-2016, 03:50 AM
90385 90386 90387

greenie44
04-20-2016, 05:25 AM
wish you were here..

Me too, Stan. Next time I come, I will bring a Kinnard!

Rllink
04-20-2016, 05:50 AM
One thing I've discovered is that most people I know who play the ukulele do not know what UU is, and if they have been here, they aren't regulars. That surprises me. But when I talk to ukulele players who are not a part of the UU community, I find them to be much less influenced in their thinking. They seem to have more of an individual approach to ukuleles and ukulele playing.

wildfire070
04-20-2016, 05:52 AM
Recently, I've noticed a trend for ukes with radiused fretboards, side sound ports, cutaways, and arm bevels. I have 2 ukes with radiused fretboards and can't tell a difference between them and my other ukes. But I was interested in getting them because others spoke so highly about them and how comfortable it is to play with a radiused fretboard. Now I'm interested in a uke with a side sound port, but am thinking to myself does it really make that much of a difference?

Doc_J
04-20-2016, 07:44 AM
Aloha Stan. I have purchased ukes on recommendations from the forum, and some on my own curiosity about a builder or a particular brand. Heck, almost everything I know about ukuleles I have learned though this wonderful website. I have bought and sold many ukes over the years here, and I know that different people look for different things in their ukes. There are some people here who's opinions I value very much when it comes to buying ukes. But most opinions here I take with a grain of salt. Because one man's keeper, is another man's flip. (or woman's) And you are absolutely right in that, for me anyway, it comes down to sound and playability.

Recently I have been selling off many of my ukes because of financial obligations, not because they are not "keepers" in my book. (I'll be listing another here soon) :) In the meantime, I still check in from time to time to see what the "uke du jour" is.

I agree with Dana. Over the years I have found UU to be a good resource to learn about ukes and all things related to them.

Some of my musical enjoyment comes from trying out different ukes, and discovering their particular sound. Many times I have re-homed a new uke in a few months or weeks. And sometimes one from the 'keeper' group is displaced. One can only keep so many ukes. :)

I have often received great advice from friends on UU about what ukes I might enjoy playing next. No regrets.

hawaii 50
04-20-2016, 07:58 AM
90385 90386 90387

Hey Thanks Stan for posting a picture if my Rollo Scheurenbrrand uke...I don't have many pictures of it...still low tech and no camera...haha

Croaky Keith
04-20-2016, 08:17 AM
..., cutaways, and arm bevels....... Now I'm interested in a uke with a side sound port, but am thinking to myself does it really make that much of a difference?

Cutaways are only of use if you use the higher end of the fretboard, it just makes it a little bit easier to reach the frets without twisting your hand so much.

Arm Bevels would come into their own if you get discomfort holding a uke with your forearm.

Side Sound Ports, now that is something I have wondered about, do they really let you hear the sound any differently. (?)

sam13
04-20-2016, 08:47 AM

But Steve ... you are also a passionate collector of Vintage Ukulele for the most part and a custom vintage Uke is kind of hard to do ... I know your philosophy about custom Ukes holding their money well ... and yes, new stuff doesn't retain its value as well.

sam13
04-20-2016, 08:50 AM

Like Dave ... I have no previous stringed instrument experience when I was bit hard with the Ukulele bug!

We have a few stores in the Greater Toronto Area ... but they can't carry all of the stuff you would like to see, so i too have found myself getting lots of information from members and online sites like HMS ... their videos are so excellent.

And I have bought higher end instruments to start ... like Pono Pro Classics, and now Kamaka's.

I have been influenced not by fads but by passion and information from fellow members ... for sure.

hawaii 50
04-20-2016, 08:52 AM
But Steve ... you are also a passionate collector of Vintage Ukulele for the most part and a custom vintage Uke is kind of hard to do ... I know your philosophy about custom Ukes holding their money well ... and yes, new stuff doesn't retain its value as well.

Yeah Simon..i get what you are saying...I hope my custom ukes are the good vintage ukes in the future....when I am done with them I will pass them along to someone who will do the same.....

sam13
04-20-2016, 08:52 AM
Cutaways are only of use if you use the higher end of the fretboard, it just makes it a little bit easier to reach the frets without twisting your hand so much.

Arm Bevels would come into their own if you get discomfort holding a uke with your forearm.

Side Sound Ports, now that is something I have wondered about, do they really let you hear the sound any differently. (?)

Cutaways are great ... so are Arm Bevels ... so comfortable ... and FOR SURE SOUND PORTS ARE AWESOME ... so much more tone and sound available for the player ... without a doubt!

DownUpDave
04-20-2016, 12:52 PM
Cutaways are great ... so are Arm Bevels ... so comfortable ... and FOR SURE SOUND PORTS ARE AWESOME ... so much more tone and sound available for the player ... without a doubt!

What he said.

+10 on the side sound port. Any custom uke I order innthe future will get a sound port. I have two ukes with them and all you have to do is put a piece of paper over the sound port then pull it off halfway through the song. Bingo someone just shoved a stero monitor in your face......a really high quality stero monitor with good volume.

dwh
04-20-2016, 02:06 PM
I don't think this site pushes fads so much; it's more a community that celebrates the uke. Through that celebration, many respected, knowledgeable, enthusiasts impart inspiration, recommendation, and advice to folks who otherwise would not have access to such a plethora of other's experiences.
Before lurking on this site, my only uke was a China made Lanikai. After lurking for a time, UU influenced and spurred my UAS ... acquiring a KoAloha Tenor, a Custom Kamaka longneck concert, a 20s Martin style O, I just won a Ken Timms 17 fret today, and I have a Donmo Tenor on the way in a few months! These are not fads! These are investments to the bank of my enjoyment, and knowledge! THANX!!! UU:D

mm stan
04-20-2016, 02:34 PM
One thing I've discovered is that most people I know who play the ukulele do not know what UU is, and if they have been here, they aren't regulars. That surprises me. But when I talk to ukulele players who are not a part of the UU community, I find them to be much less influenced in their thinking. They seem to have more of an individual approach to ukuleles and ukulele playing.

Aloha Rlink,
UU I think has become the formost resource online for ukers around the world, even with the internet available
In this age, the knowledge of our members from sharing information cannot be beat. It really has opened doors for
New and long time ukers to keep up with the ever fast growing ukulele movement.

mm stan
04-20-2016, 02:43 PM
Aloha L,
Yes it seems ghe luthiers are pushing the pinnicle of design and innovation in their building of ukes. We are so fortunate to be in the
Right time for this. Every new design works different for ones preferences
For example on radius fretboards, one with shorter stubby fingers like
Mine would benefit from them while other with long slender finger may not. And so forth. When you order a custom uke, the best thing you
Yourself can choose what you would like and what would benefit you.
As for off the rack overseas ones, we are fortunate they are jumping
On the bandwagon with these designs to offer them at a moderate price.
=wildfire070;1840839]Recently, I've noticed a trend for ukes with radiused fretboards, side sound ports, cutaways, and arm bevels. I have 2 ukes with radiused fretboards and can't tell a difference between them and my other ukes. But I was interested in getting them because others spoke so highly about them and how comfortable it is to play with a radiused fretboard. Now I'm interested in a uke with a side sound port, but am thinking to myself does it really make that much of a difference?[/QUOTE]

mm stan
04-20-2016, 02:51 PM
Aloha Hodge,
Part of the ukulele experience and journey is joining forums and sharing your knowledge and collaboratiing with other members your perspective and experience... it makes it so fun and enjoyable for you while others without the resources that your may have grow and learn . I believe the ukulele movement is at its pinnacle now and ever growing bigger. I remember when i first joined, people were saying if this new resurgance wave of the uke would last
Well it has grown before us inexpectations wise more than we ever realize and continue to do so . Happy strummings
QUOTE=Doc_J;1840894]I agree with Dana. Over the years I have found UU to be a good resource to learn about ukes and all things related to them.

Some of my musical enjoyment comes from trying out different ukes, and discovering their particular sound. Many times I have re-homed a new uke in a few months or weeks. And sometimes one from the 'keeper' group is displaced. One can only keep so many ukes. :)

I have often received great advice from friends on UU about what ukes I might enjoy playing next. No regrets.[/QUOTE]

mm stan
04-20-2016, 02:54 PM
Aloha Len or anyone, if you want certain luthiers ukes photos, ask me i might have them. Yes your Rollo looks amazing Len :)

Hey Thanks Stan for posting a picture if my Rollo Scheurenbrrand uke...I don't have many pictures of it...still low tech and no camera...haha

mm stan
04-20-2016, 03:00 PM
Aloha Uke1950,
Yes these new innovated features are great to have and they look great too. Like buying a car some may never fully
Appreciate or use them, while others see it as something that benefits them. It help luthiers also to promote
Their new innovations and concepts to elevate new sale models.

PereBourik
04-20-2016, 03:03 PM
Aloha L,
Yes it seems ghe luthiers are pushing the pinnicle of design and innovation in their building of ukes. We are so fortunate to be in the
Right time for this. Every new design works different for ones preferences
For example on radius fretboards, one with shorter stubby fingers like
Mine would benefit from them while other with long slender finger may not. And so forth. When you order a custom uke, the best thing you
Yourself can choose what you would like and what would benefit you.
As for off the rack overseas ones, we are fortunate they are jumping
On the bandwagon with these designs to offer them at a moderate price.
=wildfire070;1840839]Recently, I've noticed a trend for ukes with radiused fretboards, side sound ports, cutaways, and arm bevels. I have 2 ukes with radiused fretboards and can't tell a difference between them and my other ukes. But I was interested in getting them because others spoke so highly about them and how comfortable it is to play with a radiused fretboard. Now I'm interested in a uke with a side sound port, but am thinking to myself does it really make that much of a difference?[/QUOTE]

Aloha Stan. I have one ukulele with radiused fretboard. When I strum there is no difference. But when I try to pick the strings are not quite in the right place. OK if there is only one. I have several others and the one with the radius is the odd one out.

As far as fads go, I think this forum has boosted the careers of some builders. It brought one to my attention a few years ago. I'm glad I could get in line early because the line just keeps getting longer.

mm stan
04-20-2016, 03:05 PM
Aloha Sam,
This is all about the uke journey, steve is at the point he is comfortable being at with vintage uke, we all go through
This process. . He may never change his oulook and enjoy being there or in the future things might change in terms of
His preference and likes. Sorta like new strings but in a longer time point. Like i still like martins and worths for some applications.
UOTE=sam13;1840935]But Steve ... you are also a passionate collector of Vintage Ukulele for the most part and a custom vintage Uke is kind of hard to do ... I know your philosophy about custom Ukes holding their money well ... and yes, new stuff doesn't retain its value as well.[/QUOTE]

mm stan
04-20-2016, 03:15 PM
Aloha Simon,
Yes we all have been bitten by the ukulele bug, and UAS ...the forum has provided us with this to support our passions and passions to grow uke wise. Also make tons of new friends we would have never met.
I would like to thank UU and the moderators and administrative peeps for giving us this site and enabling us
To grow uke wise and have a beautiful ukulele community of friends. Please if you can, support UU in whatever
Capacity you can afford, with either joining the VIP PROGRAM or make a donation. Mahalo all, happy strummings :)
=sam13;1840936]Like Dave ... I have no previous stringed instrument experience when I was bit hard with the Ukulele bug!

We have a few stores in the Greater Toronto Area ... but they can't carry all of the stuff you would like to see, so i too have found myself getting lots of information from members and online sites like HMS ... their videos are so excellent.

And I have bought higher end instruments to start ... like Pono Pro Classics, and now Kamaka's.

I have been influenced not by fads but by passion and information from fellow members ... for sure.[/QUOTE]

mm stan
04-20-2016, 03:17 PM
Aloha Len, im glad you can enjoy your ule passion and share it with all of us.. happy strummings :)

Yeah Simon..i get what you are saying...I hope my custom ukes are the good vintage ukes in the future....when I am done with them I will pass them along to someone who will do the same.....

mm stan
04-20-2016, 03:18 PM
Aloha Simon,
Can you imagine the new innovative concepts our esteemed luthiers have for us in the future :)

mm stan
04-20-2016, 03:24 PM
Aloha Dave,
I too enjoy the side sound port, it is a superb idea...for many reasons
Intresting concept, im thinking though id keep my ukes with just one Ssp. Ive seen ones with multiple and they seem to lose their punch
Maybe a luthier may figure something out in the future to make that conceptual design work? :)

What he said.

+10 on the side sound port. Any custom uke I order innthe future will get a sound port. I have two ukes with them and all you have to do is put a piece of paper over the sound port then pull it off halfway through the song. Bingo someone just shoved a stero monitor in your face......a really high quality stero monitor with good volume.

mm stan
04-20-2016, 03:30 PM
Aloha DWH,
It sounds like you have grown and benefited from our UU Forums. Thats great to hear your passion has also grown as much as your ululele family..congratulations on your ever growing ukulele family, happy strummings :)

I don't think this site pushes fads so much; it's more a community that celebrates the uke. Through that celebration, many respected, knowledgeable, enthusiasts impart inspiration, recommendation, and advice to folks who otherwise would not have access to such a plethora of other's experiences.
Before lurking on this site, my only uke was a China made Lanikai. After lurking for a time, UU influenced and spurred my UAS ... acquiring a KoAloha Tenor, a Custom Kamaka longneck concert, a 20s Martin style O, I just won a Ken Timms 17 fret today, and I have a Donmo Tenor on the way in a few months! These are not fads! These are investments to the bank of my enjoyment, and knowledge! THANX!!! UU:D

Nickie
04-20-2016, 05:47 PM
Of course UU has influenced my buying patterns. My new baby's side soundhole, radiused fretboard, pickup, Grover planetary tuners, through the bridge stringing, tapered arm rest, are all results of reading posts here. Of course, I did my own homework too.
The strings I use are because of UU member's influence.
I've learned what to look and listen for, and what to avoid in buying. I daresay even my song preferences are influenced by being here.
The whole ukulele thing is a trend (NOT a fad), toward happier people. TBUS just went over 1300 members, and I see one or two brand new ukers at each jam session. I've recruited two brand new ukers by myself this year, and am about to bring a 3rd into the fold. I tell them all about UU.
I find that the people that visit UU regularly are the most well informed buyers around. Sadly, my friends that don't come here tend to buy ukes over and over again, and get screwed sometimes.
I get about 3 ukes a year, on the average, and the last two years, one uke each year. I wanna do it right, and I think the last uke I bought might be the last uke I buy for awhile, because I did it right, because I pay attention to UU.

mm stan
04-20-2016, 11:17 PM
Aloha Nickie,
Thank you for your nice post, all of them in this thread are nice too. It makes me happy to hear stories where
Members have benefited and appriciated our beloved forum and its part of their daily schedule to check in and comment. Even to help others and share advice or contribute here. Thank you Nickie and all for making UU forums
The best forum online. Im so fortunate to have made so many friends here too :)

Of course UU has influenced my buying patterns. My new baby's side soundhole, radiused fretboard, pickup, Grover planetary tuners, through the bridge stringing, tapered arm rest, are all results of reading posts here. Of course, I did my own homework too.
The strings I use are because of UU member's influence.
I've learned what to look and listen for, and what to avoid in buying. I daresay even my song preferences are influenced by being here.
The whole ukulele thing is a trend (NOT a fad), toward happier people. TBUS just went over 1300 members, and I see one or two brand new ukers at each jam session. I've recruited two brand new ukers by myself this year, and am about to bring a 3rd into the fold. I tell them all about UU.
I find that the people that visit UU regularly are the most well informed buyers around. Sadly, my friends that don't come here tend to buy ukes over and over again, and get screwed sometimes.
I get about 3 ukes a year, on the average, and the last two years, one uke each year. I wanna do it right, and I think the last uke I bought might be the last uke I buy for awhile, because I did it right, because I pay attention to UU.

saltytri
04-21-2016, 03:16 AM
Aloha, Stan,

Great thread! The many thoughtful responses show why this is such a great forum. My appreciation for what we have here comes from a slightly different angle. I started following UU closely when I got the hare-brained idea of building an instrument about five years ago. There is so much information that passes across these pages on what works, what players like and why, how things can be done, and on and on. At the outset, I read through years of posts in the Luthier's Lounge, which is probably the most comprehensive source of information on ukulele building that exists anywhere. If the goal is to make good instruments that people enjoy playing, this is the place to learn what the time-honored standards are and to follow trends that advance the art.

Aloha,
David

SoloRule
04-21-2016, 03:46 AM
My first mistake was listen to a salesman . Told me to buy a concert size just because I am a woman and petite!
I think anyone buying their first uke regardless of the price should always check with the members here.
We all made mistakes in our uke journey. What can be more wiser than to learn from other people mistake and experience?
Yes - side sound port is also my number one choice! The sound just hit you in the face! It's a wonderful experience !

mm stan
04-21-2016, 08:14 PM
Aloha David,
Yes you have a great point, for the luthiers, we have the best here willing to share their knowledge here.
Many thank you to all of them who encourage the newer wave of builders and give advice to all...

Aloha, Stan,

Great thread! The many thoughtful responses show why this is such a great forum. My appreciation for what we have here comes from a slightly different angle. I started following UU closely when I got the hare-brained idea of building an instrument about five years ago. There is so much information that passes across these pages on what works, what players like and why, how things can be done, and on and on. At the outset, I read through years of posts in the Luthier's Lounge, which is probably the most comprehensive source of information on ukulele building that exists anywhere. If the goal is to make good instruments that people enjoy playing, this is the place to learn what the time-honored standards are and to follow trends that advance the art.

Aloha,
David

mm stan
04-21-2016, 08:18 PM
Aloha Mrs Bee,
Yes buying from a reputable store who gives great advice and listen to you first, and not just make a sale
I wouldnt sell you something that was not right for you. It is the same for a great luthier too :)

My first mistake was listen to a salesman . Told me to buy a concert size just because I am a woman and petite!
I think anyone buying their first uke regardless of the price should always check with the members here.
We all made mistakes in our uke journey. What can be more wiser than to learn from other people mistake and experience?
Yes - side sound port is also my number one choice! The sound just hit you in the face! It's a wonderful experience !

Joyful Uke
04-22-2016, 04:55 AM
I have followed advice here on books and strings, and that has led me to some very positive purchases that I wouldn't have even been aware of otherwise. If a book or strings don't work out for me, at least I'm not out much money.

I do enjoy spending time on the HMS site listening to sound samples, and then reading comments here on the ukuleles that sound good to me. That doesn't mean I'll go purchase something, but it's a fun part of the hobby.

I do also listen to YouTubes based on recommendations here, and will purchase music based on recommendations here, and that's a good part of the trends here, too.

mm stan
04-23-2016, 03:04 AM
Aloha Joyful Uke,
Thank yiu for replying, yes our Beloved UU Forums and the Internet is a great resource we are fortunate to have
Now. In the olden days you watch and emulate others.. happy strummings :) :)

vanflynn
04-23-2016, 03:40 AM
Aloha Stan, great thread. I think there is a difference between fad and disseminating information. UU is a priceless resource to someone in rural MN when NAMM is going on.

That being said it is also interesting to watch certain things pop up and fade. Willie Wixom's ukes come to mind. For a while they were the hot item and haven't heard much since. I never heard a bad thing about them, just good. Also don't see them up for sale so they must be keepers.

mm stan
04-23-2016, 04:55 AM
Aloha from Waikiki, long time no hear Minnesota :)
Great to hear from you, i still have my Willie, I mean my Wixom ;) you know as the years went by, it has really
opened and became an even better punchier uke. Im simply amazed that some sold them so fast as back then
Many did not realize it takes time for any koa uke built to blossom. I really love mine, an yes its a keeper
Have you been getting any new ukes lately, grest to hear from you jim, keep in touch, happy strummings :)

Aloha Stan, great thread. I think there is a difference between fad and disseminating information. UU is a priceless resource to someone in rural MN when NAMM is going on.

That being said it is also interesting to watch certain things pop up and fade. Willie Wixom's ukes come to mind. For a while they were the hot item and haven't heard much since. I never heard a bad thing about them, just good. Also don't see them up for sale so they must be keepers.