Ukulele fads on the forum and who follows them..

mm stan

Mystery Man
UU VIP
Reaction score
I'm intrested to know how much does it inspire to buy on other members
Recommendation posts. Whether its thats they are initially proud of their purchase, support the luthier, or its a popular brand.
I say this as i see many ukes go on sale quickly on the marketplace.
Ive learned to choose my luthiers on their style of building and my own
Personal preference. Sure i made lots of mistakes too, but its a learning experience
Fads come and go in anything even ukes, but owning a uke that sounds and plays well will always be foremost as a keeper through time.

Last edited:
I'm interested in how many people answer your thread truthfully.:)

Of course I was influenced by the forum, and that is how I found the work of Ken Timms. Martins have a really cool look, and from reading lots of posts on how good Ken's ukes were, it lead me to my purchase. Also, Ken seems to be a good chap judging from his helpful forum posts (he's helped me with my current build etc) and such things matter to me.
I was not disappointed, my new Style 0 is marvellous - so anyone reading this, go ahead and be influenced :p!

The only time I followed a recommendation blindly was my first ever purchase, I asked for a recommendation & purchased from what was recommended.

It was good info for a newbie - but now I read, digest, & then go & listen to them online so that I can judge for myself. :cool:

I *think* I'm being honest here when I say I've never "followed the crowd" based on forum posts when buying a uke. Some years ago, I wanted to buy a custom and there were two "flavor of the month" luthiers that kept getting recommended to me. I didn't go for either; one has hardly been mentioned on the forums since then that I know of, the other seems to pop up in the Marketplace for resale quite regularly.

(Side note: I did learn the lesson from buying a custom that I'm a "try before you buy" girl all the way, so after that experience, I've never been tempted by any of the more recent "luthiers of the month" that have come and gone... or stayed...)

In a similar vein, I've wondered how many great ukes have been made, that people forgot.

That Marcy Marxer that was in the market place seems like it was quite good. All solid, mini x-brace, and vids that seemed quite good if you like spruce.

I'd like to think a good uke is always good, but we seem to mostly spotlight the latest and greatest. How many great ukes... disappear to the dump because people forget.

I bought my Brueko here on the Marketplace. It would never have been on my radar if the brand wasn't spoken of so highly here in the forums.

Inspire to investigate? Often. To buy? Lots more to consider than a few recommendations on a forum, even if it is UU. I'm happy with that arrangement.

In a similar vein, I've wondered how many great ukes have been made, that people forgot.

How many great ukes... disappear to the dump because people forget.

I was just talking to another uke player yesterday about something similar to this.
On the same note, how many great ukes are sitting in closets, basements, attics or storage lockers...possibly aging poorly.

Back on topic:
I have never been a "flavor of the month" person.
All of my ukes were purchased with research and some patience. Except for the new one coming.
That was a little spontaneous on my part but it wasn't because of what others were saying.
I had looked at Koaloha before and had been interested in them since seeing Daniel Ho play one in the Alfred Method Beginner DVD.
I always thought they would be out my reach because they go for 900+ which is out of my budget.
When I saw one for under 600 I didn't want to regret not trying to get it.

Aloha Stan. I have purchased ukes on recommendations from the forum, and some on my own curiosity about a builder or a particular brand. Heck, almost everything I know about ukuleles I have learned though this wonderful website. I have bought and sold many ukes over the years here, and I know that different people look for different things in their ukes. There are some people here who's opinions I value very much when it comes to buying ukes. But most opinions here I take with a grain of salt. Because one man's keeper, is another man's flip. (or woman's) And you are absolutely right in that, for me anyway, it comes down to sound and playability.

Recently I have been selling off many of my ukes because of financial obligations, not because they are not "keepers" in my book. (I'll be listing another here soon) :) In the meantime, I still check in from time to time to see what the "uke du jour" is.

Depends who's talking, and how I happen to relate to it. Example: I just ordered some Oasis strings solely because Chuck Moore mentioned that he mixes their strings with Southcoast strings. Chuck Moore seems to know a thing or two about ukuleles, and I'm a huge fan of Southcoast strings, so I thought I should try for myself.

I don't think that makes me a fad follower. I think it just makes me open minded. :)

Of course I was influenced by the forum, and that is how I found the work of Ken Timms. Martins have a really cool look, and from reading lots of posts on how good Ken's ukes were, it lead me to my purchase. Also, Ken seems to be a good chap judging from his helpful forum posts (he's helped me with my current build etc) and such things matter to me.
I was not disappointed, my new Style 0 is marvellous - so anyone reading this, go ahead and be influenced :p!

Aloha CMI, I'm glad you found your ukulele of your dreams..I have one too...and its a punchy tone Happy Strummings

nice thread Stan..hope it does not become a name calling thread though....:)

you and me are lucky as we can see/play many of the ukes mentioned on the UU from Andrew at HMS....I think I like mostly all of the ukes I get a chance to play....if I had the money I would buy all of them....but since that impossible I try to get ukes from the builders I like and respect..and hopefully have met....sometimes this hard to do but many builders are here in Hawaii or come for a visit....

I try to make my own decisions...but I do try to stay away from Fads....how about you....haha...:)

since I know Chuck..i also go by his views on strings most builders have no time to test different strings but Chuck is one of the few who does his homework....

my 2 cents

The only time I followed a recommendation blindly was my first ever purchase, I asked for a recommendation & purchased from what was recommended.

It was good info for a newbie - but now I read, digest, & then go & listen to them online so that I can judge for myself. :cool:

I Agree uke 1950 do your research and ask ones who own the ukulele of your interest, and trust their judgement on their experience.... some times buying sight unseen is a gamble,
and of course.. the golden rule try before you buy...especially on lower level ukes consistency on tone....what may work for others, may not be your cup of coffee

Aloha the Devine Miss M,
sometimes we miss the lesser known luthiers who do good work too, and they fade away, so sad..I know a couple that I've always wanted but the timing was not right or never came available
while other brands can differ so drastically in tone consistency....I guess in every brand or luthier the are Gems out of the bunch so to speak...they can be cheap or expensive...when you say try
before you buy, this applies to that... :) happy strummings
I *think* I'm being honest here when I say I've never "followed the crowd" based on forum posts when buying a uke. Some years ago, I wanted to buy a custom and there were two "flavor of the month" luthiers that kept getting recommended to me. I didn't go for either; one has hardly been mentioned on the forums since then that I know of, the other seems to pop up in the Marketplace for resale quite regularly.

(Side note: I did learn the lesson from buying a custom that I'm a "try before you buy" girl all the way, so after that experience, I've never been tempted by any of the more recent "luthiers of the month" that have come and gone... or stayed...)

That Marcy Marxer that was in the market place seems like it was quite good. All solid, mini x-brace, and vids that seemed quite good if you like spruce.

I'd like to think a good uke is always good, but we seem to mostly spotlight the latest and greatest. How many great ukes... disappear to the dump because people forget.
Aloha Spooky,
Yes as i just mentioned to Miss M, there were luthiers in the past who made exceptional ukes, which did not get much exposure that sound amazing in their own way
I have a few of them, for sure they are keepers ...

Aloha Johnson,
One thing I learned about buying ukes you mention... one will come along most times at a great price used.. all you need is patience and try to buy spontaneously
Used ukes is a great bargain, as you get a higher end ukulele for a better price...but be careful of lemons, try before you buy...

I was just talking to another uke player yesterday about something similar to this.
On the same note, how many great ukes are sitting in closets, basements, attics or storage lockers...possibly aging poorly.

Back on topic:
I have never been a "flavor of the month" person.
All of my ukes were purchased with research and some patience. Except for the new one coming.
That was a little spontaneous on my part but it wasn't because of what others were saying.
I had looked at Koaloha before and had been interested in them since seeing Daniel Ho play one in the Alfred Method Beginner DVD.
I always thought they would be out my reach because they go for 900+ which is out of my budget.
When I saw one for under 600 I didn't want to regret not trying to get it.

Aloha Dana,
I know you been here a long time and you went through the whole buy and upgrading process and gained much experience.... I'm saddened you had to sell some of your favorite ukes,
to financial obligations, however I know you will recover and get better ones in the future.....remember most any uke played for a while you can learn something different from, it part of the
learning process and curb... Happy strummings :)

Aloha MMfitzsimmons,
Agreed, Yes there are some you trust their judgement more than others... Chuck moore is one of them, not only as a top notch builder but also one who has been around a long time with tons of
experience...he probably was on of the first UU members here also.. BTW one of the nicest persons I know who always shares his knowledge.....

Depends who's talking, and how I happen to relate to it. Example: I just ordered some Oasis strings solely because Chuck Moore mentioned that he mixes their strings with Southcoast strings. Chuck Moore seems to know a thing or two about ukuleles, and I'm a huge fan of Southcoast strings, so I thought I should try for myself.

I don't think that makes me a fad follower. I think it just makes me open minded. :)

Aloha Rllink,
I think all will answer honestly their views on their experience, Im sure many of us had to overcome the learning curb in attaining the best ukes they can get...just nice to hear their
stories .....
I'm interested in how many people answer your thread truthfully.:)[/QUOTE]

Top Bottom