buy electric uke, or buy an acoustic and install a pickup?

Stroopy121

Reaction score
Hey all,

Sorry if this has been covered, it's a bit of a task to sift through the info when I have a specific question like this.

I'm looking to upgrade from a £5 toy uke to a beginner model, but will be using it like on stage so I need it to be electric. I'm not after something high end, just sturdy and holds its tuning well and has a decent pickup or set of electronics, my question is: should I buy an electric uke or can I get more bang for the buck if I buy a better acoustic uke and install a pickup?

I've done the same with basses and guitars to great effect before, have a lot of experience with electronics so the difficulty isn't a concern, just wondering if I'd be able to get better value with some DIY?

Looking at a budget of sub £100, ideally less than £75, so am not expecting something amazing obviously.

Any help or suggestions appreciated!

Xx

installing pickup costs 100 pounds so better find something around 100 pounds with already installed pickup :)

I'd be installing myself so would just have the cost of the pickup to cover. I kinda expect a £100 uke with pickup to be a £50 with a £20 pickup, you know?

Xx

I'd be installing myself so would just have the cost of the pickup to cover. I kinda expect a £100 uke with pickup to be a £50 with a £20 pickup, you know?

Xx

Since you will be doing the work, I suggest you get the uke you like the best. You can install the pickup anytime, including waiting and saving up for it because you spent your limit on the better uke. It is likely you will get a better pickup as well. In the end, you win both ways. Check out some of the better uke stores in Britain such as Southern Ukulele, Omega, and others that have a great rep and do setups.

Last edited:
What size?

I have Kala KA-SEME & KA-CEME which have own brand pre amps (likely re branded Belcat), they work for me, not quite in your price range, but may be worth considering.

I think installing yourself is a fine idea. I've purchased good inexpensive ukes from China via eBay and AliExpress.com, and installed preamps with tuner and the pickups. I've also bought ukes with electronics already installed. I buy most of the electronics directly from China because there's nothing equivalent in the US, they cost around $15-$30 US, including the pickup. They all worked very well for me.

I was thinking soprano, though I might try concert. Not 100% committed one way or t'other.

Anyone have recommendations for cheap-but-not-awful pickups/preamp? Or is there a thread discussing this somewhere?

xx

Top Bottom