PDA

View Full Version : Wound C vs Unwound C on a Tenor Ukulele:

JJFN
04-20-2016, 03:05 AM
As I understand it, all things being equal, a properly tuned wound C, would create less tension than a properly tuned unwound C. If this is correct then it would require less pressure to fret a wound C then an unwound C. Or, would it depend upon the material's used in the unwound C ?

Jon Moody
04-20-2016, 03:15 AM
It would depend on the materials for sure.

I've found the wound C does take more finger pressure to fret than a nylon wound C, however you only really notice it because it's the only wound string in a re-entrant set. If you're using a wound low G string in addition to the wound C, I doubt you're going to notice the difference in finger pressure needed.

If you're using a wound C in a fluorocarbon set, I doubt you'll notice any finger pressure difference at all.

jollyboy
04-20-2016, 03:21 AM
My understanding would be that since different materials are being used you can't say that one is definitely going to be a lower or higher tension than the other. That would depend on the individual unit weight of the strings used.

However, a wound C would be typically of a narrower gauge and thus would tend to feel more 'twangy' I suppose (technical term). This, for me, is the advantage of a wound C - it eliminates the thuddiness associated with heavier strings.

DownUpDave
04-20-2016, 03:41 AM
It would depend on the materials for sure.

I've found the wound C does take more finger pressure to fret than a nylon wound C, however you only really notice it because it's the only wound string in a re-entrant set. If you're using a wound low G string in addition to the wound C, I doubt you're going to notice the difference in finger pressure needed.

If you're using a wound C in a fluorocarbon set, I doubt you'll notice any finger pressure difference at all.

The above has been my experience as well. I use wound C in both reentrant and low G and I do not notice a tension difference compared to a fluorocarbon C string.

johnson430
04-20-2016, 04:01 AM
It has been my experience that a higher tension string takes less pressure because of the amount of tension already on the string; all one needs to do is apply enough pressure behind the fret to make the note.
I practice finger pressure exercises by applying an over-amount of pressure to the string and the relaxing the pressure until I can create a clean, clear note with the minimal amount of pressure. This also might including moving my finger either from tip to pad to tip and nail sometimes, depending on which fret I am playing.
I use a tuner during the exercise so I can also see how a note changes shape (flat or sharp) depending on finger placement and applied pressure.

I think this can also help to bring out the responsiveness of a quality instrument as well.

bearbike137
04-20-2016, 04:02 AM
Re-entrant wound C = sacrilege

:shaka::shaka::shaka:

(kidding, but serious, and seriously kidding.) :nana:

Soundbored
04-20-2016, 05:16 AM
As I understand it, all things being equal, a properly tuned wound C, would create less tension than a properly tuned unwound C. If this is correct then it would require less pressure to fret a wound C then an unwound C. Or, would it depend upon the material's used in the unwound C ?

There is no correlation between tension and wound vs unwound. It totally depends on the unit weight of the strings in question. All we can say for sure is, at the same tension (pounds) at pitch, a wound C string will be dramatically thinner. Like .020 vs .040 in nylon. That improves intonation, harmonics, and sustain.

spookelele
04-20-2016, 05:44 AM
maybe part of the thing is perception?

Ti wound c is .27
oasis c is .30

Maybe the thinner string feels sharper than the thicker so you feel it more?

Personally, I don't feel it, cuz my callous/pads are kinda thick.

that is a nice thing about using the ti 30/27 bass and then oasis warm trebles ... the gauges are then 30/27/27/23 if you do low G

saltytri
04-20-2016, 05:54 AM
maybe part of the thing is perception?

Ti wound c is .27
oasis c is .30

Maybe the thinner string feels sharper than the thicker so you feel it more?

Personally, I don't feel it, cuz my callous/pads are kinda thick.

that is a nice thing about using the ti 30/27 bass and then oasis warm trebles ... the gauges are then 30/27/27/23 if you do low G

Which wound strings are you referring to?

johnson430
04-20-2016, 06:55 AM
Re-entrant wound C = sacrilege

:shaka::shaka::shaka:

(kidding, but serious, and seriously kidding.) :nana:

Haha, My Pono MGT was strung from the factory with a high g, wound c Mahana set.

spookelele
04-20-2016, 07:22 AM
Which wound strings are you referring to?

Tomastik Infeld cf27 cf30. They're guitar strings, but they're fine for uke.

wickedwahine11
04-20-2016, 08:31 AM

I have some of these in order and am looking forward to trying them on one of my Ukes. I am nervous though about using wound strings on a KoAloha since they just have the unibrace and thin tops. Are they very high tension?

hawaii 50
04-20-2016, 08:34 AM
I have some of these in order and am looking forward to trying them on one of my Ukes. I am nervous though about using wound strings on a KoAloha since they just have the unibrace and thin tops. Are they very high tension?

Chuck says the Tomastik are his fav woundGandC strings now....try ask him what he thinks....let me know if you like them too...I will order some...pretty sure matching them up with Oasis EandA

btw I only use a woundC string if the plain C makes a weak buzzing sound when I hit it hard....

billten
04-20-2016, 09:49 AM

So you use the cf27 for C and the cf30 for G?

Recstar24
04-20-2016, 09:57 AM
So you use the cf27 for C and the cf30 for G?

Yes. the 27 stands for the string gauge which is appropriate for a wound C, and the 0.030" gauge for the low g is within the normal range for a wound low g

Recstar24
04-20-2016, 09:58 AM

This is the same unibrace where the okami's have shown you can stand on the tops and it won't buckle, correct? If so, I think they can handle most strings :) I asked booli a same question and he said the tension was within a normal range for your typical uke.

hawaii 50
04-20-2016, 10:05 AM
This is the same unibrace where the okami's have shown you can stand on the tops and it won't buckle, correct? If so, I think they can handle most strings :) I asked booli a same question and he said the tension was within a normal range for your typical uke.

a while back Ko'aloha had troubles with their bridges...use to pull up quite often,that is why they had so many different styles of bridges in the last 10 years or so...but looking at their newer ukes now I think they have solved the problems.....I have not tried the strings yet..so not sure how the tension is.....the new 2016 Ko'alohas are the nicest ukes they have put out....IMO

wickedwahine11
04-20-2016, 10:38 AM

I just get nervous with KoAlohas and wound strings since some of their ukes in the past were having movement of dishing or bellying on the tops and bridges lifting. Hence, I usually use PhD on KoAloha. But my Thomastik come today so I will test them on my other ukes tonight. :)

spookelele
04-20-2016, 10:43 AM

they're wound.. but they're not like.. metal. The core is still nylon.
They don't feel particularly loose or tight, but again.. I have pretty thick pad/callous so maybe I dont feel it as much.
They don't seem to induce more relief than other strings, so I'm don't think it's a problem tension wise.

But.. who knows.. maybe tomorrow my uke will explode.
God... i hope not...

johnson430
04-20-2016, 11:20 AM
I just get nervous with KoAlohas and wound strings since some of their ukes in the past were having movement of dishing or bellying on the tops and bridges lifting. Hence, I usually use PhD on KoAloha. But my Thomastik come today so I will test them on my other ukes tonight. :)

Glad to see you like the PHD strings on your KoAloha.
I ordered a set of PHD for my incoming KoAloha. PHD are on my mango, as well.

a while back Ko'aloha had troubles with their bridges...use to pull up quite often,that is why they had so many different styles of bridges in the last 10 years or so...but looking at their newer ukes now I think they have solved the problems

Do you know the years for the problem?
I am getting an Oct. 2014 sent to me now. Do you think I am in the safe zone?
Thanks

Moore Bettah Ukuleles
04-20-2016, 11:25 AM
Chuck says the Tomastik are his fav woundGandC strings now....try ask him what he thinks....let me know if you like them too...I will order some...pretty sure matching them up with Oasis EandA

btw I only use a woundC string if the plain C makes a weak buzzing sound when I hit it hard....

I don't think Staci would have any problem but it's really a question for the Okamis. It's not really a question that can be answered broadly, rather it needs to be addressed on a individual basis. I build a healthy radius (about 20') in the top of my ukes which makes the tops very stiff longitudinally. Couple that with good bracing and you're good to go. So radiused top and good bracing will handle the wound strings no problem. The TI/Oasis string set I've mentioned to several people here are by far the best sounding, most balanced strings I've tried for linear tuning. I've strung up for ukes with them and I'm very impressed. My search is over for the perfect set. :)

flailingfingers
04-20-2016, 11:35 AM
Chuck,
Could you'll me yet once again exactly what the set is that you recommend. I haven't been able to locate your discussion of that. Thanks.
John

wickedwahine11
04-20-2016, 11:43 AM
I don't think Staci would have any problem but it's really a question for the Okamis. It's not really a question that can be answered broadly, rather it needs to be addressed on a individual basis. I build a healthy radius (about 20') in the top of my ukes which makes the tops very stiff longitudinally. Couple that with good bracing and you're good to go. So radiused top and good bracing will handle the wound strings no problem. The TI/Oasis string set I've mentioned to several people here are by far the best sounding, most balanced strings I've tried for linear tuning. I've strung up for ukes with them and I'm very impressed. My search is over for the perfect set. :)

Grr...I think you are more influential than you know. I bought four sets from Just Strings, they came today and they only sent me one of the CF27, they are all backordered on it now. Tried to order some elsewhere and everybody is backordered except Amazon, where they want $33 in shipping fees for one string. That being said, I put them on the Kauai uke and they sound lovely. It was a bit different putting them on as the ones I got from Just Strings had the hole at the bottom so I had to thread them through upside down but they went on okay. Sound really good though...hoping it is not too long before the others arrive as I would like to see how they sound on my slothead uke. I'm probably too nervous about the KoAloha until I can talk to Brian or Paul - but just as well since I only had one string to try out. Thanks for the recommendation though Chuck. :)

Moore Bettah Ukuleles
04-20-2016, 11:52 AM
Grr...I think you are more influential than you know. I bought four sets from Just Strings, they came today and they only sent me one of the CF27, they are all backordered on it now. Tried to order some elsewhere and everybody is backordered except Amazon, where they want $33 in shipping fees for one string. That being said, I put them on the Kauai uke and they sound lovely. It was a bit different putting them on as the ones I got from Just Strings had the hole at the bottom so I had to thread them through upside down but they went on okay. Sound really good though...hoping it is not too long before the others arrive as I would like to see how they sound on my slothead uke. I'm probably too nervous about the KoAloha until I can talk to Brian or Paul - but just as well since I only had one string to try out. Thanks for the recommendation though Chuck. :)

Yeah, I've run into the same problem too. When I placed my order on line they only sent me a few strings. So they may not indeed be the perfect set if they aren't easily available.
The strings are wrapped at the ends. You need to snip off the wound part before stringing. ;)

Moore Bettah Ukuleles
04-20-2016, 11:54 AM
Chuck,
Could you'll me yet once again exactly what the set is that you recommend. I haven't been able to locate your discussion of that. Thanks.
John

Low G: Thomastik-Infeld CF30
C: Thomastik-Infeld CF27
E & A strings from the Oasis "warm" set

Good luck finding a source, seems like everyone is backordered. The TI strings are made in Vienna.

wickedwahine11
04-20-2016, 12:00 PM
Yeah, I've run into the same problem too. When I placed my order on line they only sent me a few strings. So they may not indeed be the perfect set if they aren't easily available.
The strings are wrapped at the ends. You need to snip off the wound part before stringing. ;)

Haha, yeah....that would have been a LOT easier! Well when the others come, I will be less dorky putting them on. :)

johnson430
04-20-2016, 12:05 PM
Low G: Thomastik-Infeld CF30
C: Thomastik-Infeld CF27
E & A strings from the Oasis "warm" set

Good luck finding a source, seems like everyone is backordered. The TI strings are made in Vienna.

I tried the warm on my mango and they were not a good match. I was thinking that a similar diameter string might work for some.
The Oasis Warm are A/1st .023", E/2nd .027",
for those that want a similar diameter string.

jollyboy
04-20-2016, 12:10 PM
I did some number-crunching (jeez I've become the math nerd guy :p)...

From Thomastik-Infeld's online catalogue (http://www.thomastik-infeld.com/sites/default/files/catalogue/ti_acou_git_folder_06_13sc.pdf) I got figures for string tension for their CF27 and CF30 strings (for standard tuning on a classical guitar). Next I reverse-engineered these numbers to calculate unit weights. Then I recalculated tension for linear tuning at Tenor uke scale. Comes out at about 11 lbs per string which seems to pretty much be about what you'd want IMHO.

Gonna have to try these out at some point :)

Always remember to show your working...

Recstar24
04-20-2016, 12:23 PM
Awesome. What's even scarier is that when I asked booli, he guessed 11-12 lbs based purely on feel :)

Recstar24
04-20-2016, 12:27 PM
The oasis warm a is 0.023" in string diameter. The bright a is 0.0215".

Both E's are the same at 0.027".

Thanks chuck, you've given me some reason to open up these TI's that have been lying here.

I prefer the oasis bright a as it has just a little more ring and sparkle to my ear, but the warm a is really good on the ukes I've tried them on.

Moore Bettah Ukuleles
04-20-2016, 12:32 PM
The oasis warm a is 0.023" in string diameter. The bright a is 0.0215".

Both E's are the same at 0.027".

Thanks chuck, you've given me some reason to open up these TI's that have been lying here.

I prefer the oasis bright a as it has just a little more ring and sparkle to my ear, but the warm a is really good on the ukes I've tried them on.

I like the tension of the warm A string. It's very well balanced with the others I've mentioned. Some ukes (especially mango) would likely benefit by a smaller A string (Oasis bright). Either way you can't go wrong with this set..

Moore Bettah Ukuleles
04-20-2016, 12:34 PM
I did some number-crunching (jeez I've become the math nerd guy :p)...

From Thomastik-Infeld's online catalogue (http://www.thomastik-infeld.com/sites/default/files/catalogue/ti_acou_git_folder_06_13sc.pdf) I got figures for string tension for their CF27 and CF30 strings (for standard tuning on a classical guitar). Next I reverse-engineered these numbers to calculate unit weights. Then I recalculated tension for linear tuning at Tenor uke scale. Comes out at about 11 lbs per string which seems to pretty much be about what you'd want IMHO.

Gonna have to try these out at some point :)

Always remember to show your working...

Jolly good work Jollyboy. That would've been my guess too but it's nice to have the math to back it up. That puts this set safely in the 40ish pound range for a tenor scale.

DownUpDave
04-20-2016, 12:36 PM
The same thing happened when Chuck mentioned South Coast ML-WB. .............bam.......outta stock. Stacey I placed orders for some TI sets yesterday and I got Back Order status as well. I have used the TI CF27 for wound C in the past and really liked them

Moore Bettah Ukuleles
04-20-2016, 12:48 PM
The same thing happened when Chuck mentioned South Coast ML-WB. .............bam.......outta stock. Stacey I placed orders for some TI sets yesterday and I got Back Order status as well. I have used the TI CF27 for wound C in the past and really liked them

Yeah, I should've kept it under my hat at least until I had enough for myself! :) Maybe these online companies will order bigger next time. BTW, I think any tenor uke, low G or re entrant, would benefit by using the TI CF27.

jollyboy
04-20-2016, 12:49 PM
Awesome. What's even scarier is that when I asked booli, he guessed 11-12 lbs based purely on feel :)

:bowdown: All hail Booli. Seriously.

Jolly good work Jollyboy.

Jolly nice of you to say so :)

The same thing happened when Chuck mentioned South Coast ML-WB. .............bam.......outta stock.

You want to try tracking down singles of these in the UK...

johnson430
04-20-2016, 01:46 PM
I like the tension of the warm A string. It's very well balanced with the others I've mentioned. Some ukes (especially mango) would likely benefit by a smaller A string (Oasis bright). Either way you can't go wrong with this set..

Thanks Chuck. This is great news. I have a new set of Oasis bright strings.
Now if I can just track down some TI strings I will be good to go.

sam13
04-20-2016, 03:08 PM
Haha, My Pono MGT was strung from the factory with a high g, wound c Mahana set.

I think this is called Hawaiian Tuning ... DuD told me that so if I am wrong we can both blame him.

hawaii 50
04-20-2016, 03:16 PM

there is a good chance HMS will stock these strings from Tomastik-Infeld directly......

sam13
04-20-2016, 03:20 PM
there is a good chance HMS will stock these strings from Tomastik-Infeld directly......

And if you buy enough, Andrew will include free shipping ... I think it is currently 5 sets of strings.

DownUpDave
04-20-2016, 03:20 PM
I think this is called Hawaiian Tuning ... DuD told me that so if I am wrong we can both blame him.

Nope wasn't me............but you can blame me anyways if you like :deadhorse:

spookelele
04-20-2016, 03:23 PM

Excellent!

Recstar24
04-20-2016, 03:58 PM
Chuck what are you doing to me!

I've had these strings lying around but never was that curious about installing them until chick just had to say they rocked. Just listened to the mermaid Moore bettah on HMS and noticed there was something a little extra special about the sound, maybe more richness, a slightly deeper resonance while still having that sparkle. Lo and behold it has the TI wounds.

Just installed them on my Hoffmann ML adi spruce and ebony. Holy smokes the sound just went up another notch. They feel fantastic with the oasis trebles, it is seamless and very trippy as the feel is perfect string to string. They do not feel like wounds, they have a soft smooth touch and truly feel like "normal" strings. The cf30 has zero boom whatsoever and the cf27 just sounds so perfectly balanced. Feel kind of silly I've had these for months and didn't bother until now.

Will add that compared to "normal" uke wounds like SC or daddarios they are a touch richer and deeper sounding and not as upfront or twangy, a little more laid back. On my uke, with the oasis trebles, it's a very smooth and perfectly balanced match both feel and sound wise. On my cedar Hoffmann a style it potentially could be too mellow and laid back sounding, but for now on the spruce ML it's starting off super strong.

johnson430
04-20-2016, 05:10 PM
Sounds like the "Chuck string set" might suit the koa, spruce, acacia tops (or any with a bright wood). Perhaps Cedar, Mahogany and Mango(the mellow woods) might need higher tension strings*
I find that low tension strings on my mango sound muddled and lack attack.

Does anyone know if TI makes a higher tension classical set. I will search, but if you know of any...
This has got me thinking their might be a classical string alternative for warmer woods as well.
Perhaps other Classical string makers have a high tension or hard tension string set that is comparable to what the TI CF do for the bright woods.

*I know I might be making generalizations about the wood characteristics.

jollyboy
04-20-2016, 05:55 PM
Sounds like the "Chuck string set" might suit the koa, spruce, acacia tops (or any with a bright wood). Perhaps Cedar, Mahogany and Mango(the mellow woods) might need higher tension strings*
I find that low tension strings on my mango sound muddled and lack attack.

Does anyone know if TI makes a higher tension classical set.

It looks like CF35 is the next gauge 'up' - if you shunted everything along one place, so that you had a CF35 for low-G and a CF30 for C, you'd be looking at around 15 lbs of tension on each course at tenor scale. That sounds pretty hairy to me...

I think build is an important consideration, as well as tonewood, when thinking about tension. I haven't personally reached the heights of custom/high-end uke ownership yet, but I believe that they tend to be characteristically light in construction (another generalization I know). As much as I love my Pono AC I do have to acknowledge that it's a pretty solid beast and I have found that higher tension strings tend to drive it better. So, I guess I'll be sticking with my D'Addario silverwounds for now :)

billten
04-20-2016, 11:00 PM
Anybody have experience with the oasis / ti set playing at Bb tuning? Curious if it's good for both...

DownUpDave
04-21-2016, 12:42 AM
Anybody have experience with the oasis / ti set playing at Bb tuning? Curious if it's good for both...

75% experience Bill. Here is what I mean by that. I had my Webber tenor spruce/cocobolo strung with Fremont low G, TI CF27 and Oasis warm E and A strings tuned Bb and it worked well and I liked the sound. There is always a bit of a sonic imbalance when mixing the different materials between two wound stings. But as fas as working with Bb tuning it was all good.

billten
04-21-2016, 01:06 AM
Interesting, when i tuned the oasis warm string Bb recently i found the tension to be so low i couldn't play them, took them off right away. I will definitely give them another try.

75% experience Bill. Here is what I mean by that. I had my Webber tenor spruce/cocobolo strung with Fremont low G, TI CF27 and Oasis warm E and A strings tuned Bb and it worked well and I liked the sound. There is always a bit of a sonic imbalance when mixing the different materials between two wound stings. But as fas as working with Bb tuning it was all good.

johnson430
04-21-2016, 02:20 AM
It looks like CF35 is the next gauge 'up' - if you shunted everything along one place, so that you had a CF35 for low-G and a CF30 for C, you'd be looking at around 15 lbs of tension on each course at tenor scale. That sounds pretty hairy to me...

I think build is an important consideration, as well as tonewood, when thinking about tension. I haven't personally reached the heights of custom/high-end uke ownership yet, but I believe that they tend to be characteristically light in construction (another generalization I know). As much as I love my Pono AC I do have to acknowledge that it's a pretty solid beast and I have found that higher tension strings tend to drive it better. So, I guess I'll be sticking with my D'Addario silverwounds for now :)

Thanks for this Jollyboy. You rock!
Also, which D'addario silverwound are you talking about. Can you post the product's full name.

anthonyg
04-21-2016, 02:23 AM
I'm not sure that string tension is the best reason to choose a wound C string over an unwound C string.

The reason that you WOULD choose a wound string rather than an unwound string would be better intonation. Theoretical scale lengths are based on theoretically perfect strings. The problem is that the thicker a string gets the less its vibrations match "theory" because a thick string starts getting too stiff. A wound string gives you the string mass you need while being far more flexible ( a better theoretical string) than an unwound string.

Long story short. If the intonation of your unwound C string sucks then try a wound C string.

Anthony

spookelele
04-21-2016, 02:34 AM
Does anyone have measurements of tension of wound on ukes?

When I put say a freemont soloist on or TI 30/27 if I want 2 wound, the tension doesn't feel noticeably different to me.
When I put on titanium, or martin 620, that feels different to me

jollyboy
04-21-2016, 03:08 AM
Thanks for this Jollyboy. You rock!
Also, which D'addario silverwound are you talking about. Can you post the product's full name.

Yep, they are D'Addario silverplated copper wound on nylon classical guitar strings. Available as singles (https://www.stringsbymail.com/classical-guitar-strings-1/daddario-41/specialty-singles-114/silverplated-wound-340/) and in a wide-ish range of gauges, allowing for a bit of fine-tuning of individual tensions.

Mya-Moe offer them as a wound low-G option on new instruments, so they definitely have some street cred :) However, although they are polished there is a little bit of squeak. From what I've read I believe that the T-I strings are very quiet.

Anyway, I personally really like the D'Addarios and they are currently my own go-to choice for wound low-G and wound C. They have allowed me to add a little extra tension, which has really helped to open up my AC :)

Recstar24
04-21-2016, 03:47 AM
I'm not sure that string tension is the best reason to choose a wound C string over an unwound C string.

The reason that you WOULD choose a wound string rather than an unwound string would be better intonation. Theoretical scale lengths are based on theoretically perfect strings. The problem is that the thicker a string gets the less its vibrations match "theory" because a thick string starts getting too stiff. A wound string gives you the string mass you need while being far more flexible ( a better theoretical string) than an unwound string.

Long story short. If the intonation of your unwound C string sucks then try a wound C string.

Anthony

Excellent point regarding intonation. I would also add that if your unwound C is "thuddy" with significant less body and sustain than your other strings, that would be a good case to change to a wound C. In my experience, since I've been exclusively a flourocarbon user, I haven't had any issues with unwound C (concerts and tenors) being thuddy or out of tune.

With that said, I do like the sound and balance with a wound G and a wound C.

hollisdwyer
04-21-2016, 04:34 AM
These are the single wound C's that I have but haven't tried yet. https://www.stringsbymail.com/daddario-nyl024w-classical-guitar-024-single-string-211.html

I also have a heavier gauge of these for my wound G which I have just put on my Boat Paddle ML. That sounds and feels very good.

johnson430
04-21-2016, 05:19 AM
These are the single wound C's that I have but haven't tried yet. https://www.stringsbymail.com/daddario-nyl024w-classical-guitar-024-single-string-211.html

I also have a heavier gauge of these for my wound G which I have just put on my Boat Paddle ML. That sounds and feels very good.

Hollis,
Can you post a link to the G you are using. It looks like the wound C you linked is .024 which is a smidgen thinner than the .027 that most are using.
I think the thinner diameter wound might work well with my mango tenor.

jollyboy
04-21-2016, 06:23 AM
Hollis,
Can you post a link to the G you are using. It looks like the wound C you linked is .024 which is a smidgen thinner than the .027 that most are using.

PLEASE be careful about making apples-to-apples comparisons between strings of different materials :stop:

I wouldn't want to see any innocent ukes get harmed ;)

The D'Addario NYL024W has a higher unit weight that the CF27 (.00007408 vs 0.00005448) and would actually result in a higher tension at the same pitch. Just over 15 lbs tuned to C at tenor scale, in fact.

Moore Bettah Ukuleles
04-21-2016, 06:32 AM
PLEASE be careful about making apples-to-apples comparisons between strings of different materials

This is also true of fluorocarbon strings. Not all fluorocarbons of the same diameter will have the same weight or tension. It would be nice if it were that easy but it ain't! ;)

johnson430
04-21-2016, 06:40 AM
PLEASE be careful about making apples-to-apples comparisons between strings of different materials :stop:

I wouldn't want to see any innocent ukes get harmed ;)

The D'Addario NYL024W has a higher unit weight that the CF27 (.00007408 vs 0.00005448) and would actually result in a higher tension at the same pitch. Just over 15 lbs tuned to C at tenor scale, in fact.

Thanks for the warning. I hear you loud and clear.
I will stick to what others have used.
I would hate to break my Pono.

johnson430
04-21-2016, 07:15 AM
This is also true of fluorocarbon strings. Not all fluorocarbons of the same diameter will have the same weight or tension. It would be nice if it were that easy but it ain't! ;)

We need to find some ambitious person/s with enough time and research skills to put together a string tension chart of all the known ukes strings.
Anyone?

Moore Bettah Ukuleles
04-21-2016, 07:58 AM
We need to find some ambitious person/s with enough time and research skills to put together a string tension chart of all the known ukes strings.
Anyone?

If I'm not mistaken it's already been done and is on this forum somewhere. It is several years old though and probably seriously out of date now. It would also need to include guitar stings adapted for ukes.

BTW, Just Strings notified me this morning that they are getting their shipment of Thomastik-Infeld strings in tomorrow.

hawaii 50
04-21-2016, 08:03 AM
If I'm not mistaken it's already been done and is on this forum somewhere. It is several years old though and probably seriously out of date now. It would also need to include guitar stings adapted for ukes.

BTW, Just Strings notified me this morning that they are getting their shipment of Thomastik-Infeld strings in tomorrow.

great Chuck...when do we get to see a MB string set....:)

johnson430
04-21-2016, 08:30 AM
I just found this- A Uke String Comparison Chart with string diameter for many string manufactures and uke sizes.
Check it out:

http://files.meetup.com/4654212/Ukulele%20String%20Comparison%20Chart.pdf

Moore Bettah Ukuleles
04-21-2016, 09:04 AM
great Chuck...when do we get to see a MB string set....:)

They will become available Len as soon as I employ you to make them up! :)

hawaii 50
04-21-2016, 12:40 PM
They will become available Len as soon as I employ you to make them up! :)

Haha Chuck you got me!! ...:)

hollisdwyer
04-21-2016, 03:04 PM
Hollis,

Here you go: https://www.stringsbymail.com/daddario-composite-lightly-polished-j4504lp-normal-tension-027-153.html .

Yes, this and the wound C that I shared the link for earlier are thiner than what I would have expected but it really has to do with the density of the material (higher density = thinner string for same/same). As these are guitar strings I'd thought I give them a go as they were recommended to me also.

johnson430
04-22-2016, 09:51 AM
Thanks Hollis.