EBay auctions

Martynas

Reaction score
can someone who have once won an ebay auction pm me? i have few questions. or post here and ill pm you
THANKS

Use paypal. If something goes wrong, they'll get your money back as long as its within 180 days.
When you win, you're required to pay. You can't win and not pay. It's against the rules.
So be sure to read all the text about the terms and the condition.

If it arrives and it's not in the condition specified, return it. Don't try to haggle, you're better off just returning it.

You'll probably eat the shipping both ways, since the seller is only required to refund the item sale price. So be careful of auctions where the thing is cheap, but the shipping is very expensive. Those are usually scams designed to make it difficult to return.

spookolelele ok thanks. but for example if i won bid for 500 dollars and how to buy it then? can you just say how system after you win auction goes?
and will that money back garantuee be if i pay with credit card?

also seller of that uke didnt give money back thing. there is only Ebay buyer protection but if i dont get item or its demaged that will give my money back. only question will that EBay security work with Credit card or Master card?

If you have a credit or debit card, open up a Paypal account, then if you 'win', you use your Paypal account that is linked to your bank account to pay the seller, he only sees your Paypal account & never sees your bank account details, that's why so many people use it. You don't put any money into your Paypal account.

Use paypal. If something goes wrong, they'll get your money back as long as its within 180 days.
When you win, you're required to pay. You can't win and not pay. It's against the rules.
So be sure to read all the text about the terms and the condition.

If it arrives and it's not in the condition specified, return it. Don't try to haggle, you're better off just returning it.

You'll probably eat the shipping both ways, since the seller is only required to refund the item sale price. So be careful of auctions where the thing is cheap, but the shipping is very expensive. Those are usually scams designed to make it difficult to return.

If you have a credit or debit card, open up a Paypal account, then if you 'win', you use your Paypal account that is linked to your bank account to pay the seller, he only sees your Paypal account & never sees your bank account details, that's why so many people use it. You don't put any money into your Paypal account.

FYI:
One of the moderators stated in another recent thread (where this member Martynas was asking to 'borrow' someone's login credentials for the UU video lessons) that this person is a young child.

If this is the case, maybe they should be asking their parent or guardian for assistance, otherwise we could get in trouble here for trying to help someone underage, without their parent's consent.

Most credit card companies will not issue a card to someone under a certain age, and I'm pretty sire that PayPal has a minimum age to qualify for an account with them.

I'm all for helping out and I could be wrong in my understanding here, but something fishy is going on with Martynas. Just go look at the last 10 or so posts here on the forum from Martynas and see what you think....

Martynas, I apologize if I am incorrect or this makes your life difficult, but we need to be cautious when dealing with minor children and/or potential scam artists.

Can you prove your age to one of the moderators? Maybe send a PM to wickedwahine or buddhu and point them to my post here in this thread.

I feel bad for this, but for all involved, it is better to be safe than sorry.

FYI:
One of the moderators stated in another recent thread (where this member Martynas was asking to 'borrow' someone's login credentials for the UU video lessons) that this person is a young child.

If this is the case, maybe they should be asking their parent or guardian for assistance, otherwise we could get in trouble here for trying to help someone underage, without their parent's consent.

Most credit card companies will not issue a card to someone under a certain age, and I'm pretty sire that PayPal has a minimum age to qualify for an account with them.

I'm all for helping out and I could be wrong in my understanding here, but something fishy is going on with Martynas. Just go look at the last 10 or so posts here on the forum from Martynas and see what you think....

Martynas, I apologize if I am incorrect or this makes your life difficult, but we need to be cautious when dealing with minor children and/or potential scam artists.

Can you prove your age to one of the moderators? Maybe send a PM to wickedwahine or buddhu and point them to my post here in this thread.

I agree. I've been trying to figure out Martynas for a bit and if they were a younger person, it would answer all of my questions. Sorry if I'm wrong.

So be careful of auctions where the thing is cheap, but the shipping is very expensive. Those are usually scams designed to make it difficult to return.

I never knew why such high shipping costs at times. Good info, Spook. Thanks for the share.

FYI:

He got in contact with me and told me he was 15.

FYI:

yes i am teenager and i cant have credit card but my parents can and they dont know a lot about buying stuff from Ebay auctions so why not to ask someone who does?

I never knew why such high shipping costs at times. Good info, Spook. Thanks for the share.
Because ebay does not get a cut of the shipping charge. They only take their percentage out of the sale price. So some sellers tack on a large shipping charge to lower the overhead. They are not supposed to do that, and ebay claims that they are cracking down on it, but ebay is so big that there is no way that they can.

Last edited:
yes i am teenager and i cant have credit card but my parents can and they dont know a lot about buying stuff from Ebay auctions so why not to ask someone who does?

Ok, good enough for me, as this post from you, and others here confirming your age explains a lot.

Sorry if I hurt your feelings. Please accept my aplogy as I'm just trying to understand the situation and stay safe.

Welcome to UU, Martynas, and hopefully things will get easier going forward from now on.

Good Luck! :)

So... here's what happens when you win an ebay auction.

Ebay will send you a notice that you've "won"
You typically have a short window of time.. something like a couple days, to make the payment.

Again, I would very strongly suggest paypal, because of the buyer protection.

Once you make payment, the seller has a window of time to deliver the item to you in the condition described in the listing. The amount of time is usually indicated in the listing in the shipping info.

If the window has passed and you did not receive it, you can open a dispute. Ebay will contact the seller, and the seller has something like 48 hours to respond. If they don't respond, you get a refund. If they do respond, and can not show proof of delivery, you get a refund. If they ask you to continue to wait, decline.

If the item arrives and it's not in the condition described, you can open a dispute. Ebay will ask for proof that it is not in the condition described, and then present it to the seller. They will ask you want you want to do usually, refund, partial refund, or replacement if the seller has another of the item. Generally speaking, I'd suggest a refund. If that's the choice, then you must show proof of return/delivery, so use a shipping method that has tracking, and signature, and you'll get your money back minus the shipping cost listed in the listing. If you return it, you eat the shipping both ways.

If an item says it can not be returned, it means you can't return it just because you don't like it anymore. It has to be damaged, or not as described. If it is damaged or not as described, you can get a refund regardless of the "no returns accepted" because they sold you an item falsely.

Last edited:
Oh, also check the seller reputation and feedback.
A bad seller usually has a record of being a bad seller.
Their rating should be like 99.9% positive.

Oh, also check the seller reputation and feedback.
A bad seller usually has a record of being a bad seller.
Their rating should be like 99.9% positive.

Agree. I usually will not buy something if they have less than 99%. I will look elsewhere even if it might mean a few more dollars.

he has 100% (31 positive) and 5 positive comments. and account from 2006. i think he is ok. and thank you guys for your help

ill tell you that after one or two days. i want to be sure that no1 sees it

I never knew why such high shipping costs at times. Good info. Thanks for the share.

Dont believe everything you read, eBay now makes a percentage off the shipping as well this proves there were those using high shipping to pad the actual money made on an item.

If I buy say a ukulele from Mr Wei and the shipping is $60 for a ukulele won for $18.50 if I had to return it and went to UPS or USPS and the actual shipping back is say $20 where is the scam to not return it if broken or bad?

Many times if you receive a broken item or it is not what you expected you open a complaint with eBay and they refund without a return. eBay is not on the side of protecting the seller just the buyer.

Funny I must have forgotten to hit post good thing the auto restore worked for me in this situation.

Here is a link to a question on why eBay gets a percentage of the shipping charges: https://community.ebay.com/t5/Archi...get-percentage-of-shipping-fees/qaq-p/8255239

Fifteen years old explains much good thing there was no internet when I was 15 my parents would have likely been put in jail. lol Dont worry kid you'll be old soon. As a relative stranger my advice to you is believe everything your parents tell you!

99% you guys are rough. I've bought from some with a rating as low as 80% being in business I can tell you there is truth in you cannot make everyone happy. If their bad reviews are new enough you can usually read what they are and adjust accordingly.

Last edited:
Top Bottom