Mainland soprano uke in a backpack

marimorimo

Reaction score
I'm traveling to the beach and I would like to bring a uke with me. I've brought along a laminate concert with me before to the beach and thought that despite its size I still find it cumbersome to bring along an ukulele in a gig bag. This is because of multiple transfers by plane, bus, boat, and tuktuk.

So I'm thinking of getting a soprano ukulele instead (that will hopefully fit into a backpack). Thing is, though I'm a beginner I've been spoiled by high quality instruments and if I had my way I would buy a Mainland soprano uke in solid mahogany.

Common sense tells me that I should probably be getting a cheap laminate but my heart goes out to the Mainland. If I go for the Mainland, would it be madness to stuff it into a backpack? Or should I stick with a cheapo laminate after all?

Although I said 'beach' I definitely won't be getting it wet as I won't be using it directly in or around the water. Our hotel is on a hillside facing the sea and I'm planning to play at the garden outside. Also, in a perfect world I would probably get a flea, but they're not available in my country.

Last edited:
I'm traveling to the beach and I would like to bring a uke with me. I've brought along a laminate concert with me before to the beach and thought that despite its size I still find it cumbersome to bring along an ukulele in a gig bag. This is because of multiple transfers by plane, bus, boat, and tuktuk.

So I'm thinking of getting a soprano ukulele instead (that will hopefully fit into a backpack). Thing is, though I'm a beginner I've been spoiled by high quality instruments and if I had my way I would buy a Mainland soprano uke in solid mahogany.

Common sense tells me that I should probably be getting a cheap laminate but my heart goes out to the Mainland. If I go for the Mainland, would it be madness to stuff it into a backpack? Or should I stick with a cheapo laminate after all?

Although I said 'beach' I definitely won't be getting it wet as I won't be using it directly in or around the water. Our hotel is on a hillside facing the sea and I'm planning to play at the garden outside.
I have some experience with taking the ukulele out to the beach. It depends on where your head is. I don't believe that just taking a Mainland ukulele out to the beach in a backpack will ruin it and make it unplayable. You will be exposing it to salt air and you will get a salty grunge on the surface of it, if you are out there for an amount of time. You can wipe it off with a damp washrag and it is no big deal. However, if having your ukulele covered in salty grunge bothers you, you will be bothered. Trying to keep scratches off a ukulele in a humid, salty, sandy environment, and especially stuffed in a backpack is hard. If you can't stand a scratch, you will be constantly trying not to scratch your ukulele. Let's face it, it is hard to keep sand off of things on the beach. If you think that some minor scratching from the beach adds character to your ukulele and makes for good stories, you will be just fine. One note, my Mainland has the gold closed tuners, and they seem to resist corrosion much better than the open tuners on my cheap laminate ukulele. The open tuners on my laminate are corroded and pitted something terrible.

Last edited:
Just an opinion, but if it were me, I would get a 'plastic' uke, no worries about damage to prevent you from playing it, (anywhere).

I bought a cheap one, (Brunswick), it played O.K. - but after changing the nylon strings for Aquila, it sounded much nicer - maybe it would sound even better with other strings.

Edit: Kala Dolphins seem to get good revues. :cool:

Get the Mainland.......you know you want it. Putting it in a gig bag then in a backpack you will be more than fine. You said you will be playing in a garden and not tramping around the beach so it will not be exposed to any bad stuff.

In the 70's my brother in law hitch hiked around the southern states for 3 years with a Martin D28, which now a days sells for about $4000.00.

I take a top line Pono pro classic tenor camping with me every year. Life is too short to play instruments you are not happy with. I am betting you will continue to play the Mainland when you get home. If as you say you're spoiled by other high quality instruments I doubt you would play the plastic one when you got home.

Last edited:
Just an opinion, but if it were me, I would get a 'plastic' uke, no worries about damage to prevent you from playing it, (anywhere).

I bought a cheap one, (Brunswick), it played O.K. - but after changing the nylon strings for Aquila, it sounded much nicer - maybe it would sound even better with other strings.

Edit: Kala Dolphins seem to get good revues. :cool:

I agree - I love my Dolphin! Changed out the strings & it sounds even better. I can stuff it in a backpack & not have to worry about scratching. I can also leave it in my car in the trunk for a few hours & not have to worry about heat. The other way to go I hear is a Blackbird Carbon Fiber uke. (*wink) Good luck & Bon Voyage!

I wouldn't put any ukulele into a backpack risking crushing damage when a soft case or gigbag can easily be tied on.

~AL~

I wouldn't put any ukulele into a backpack risking crushing damage when a soft case or gigbag can easily be tied on.

~AL~

As Al mentioned, I wouldn't shove any uke into a backpack (no matter how cheap). I have traveled with my soprano and it works great to strap the gig bag on the outside of my pack. When I was on the plane, I just removed the gig bag and set the uke at my feet during the flight. At least you'll be sure that it doesn't get damaged inside the bag.

but my heart goes out to the Mainland. If I go for the Mainland, would it be madness to stuff it into a backpack? Or should I stick with a cheapo laminate after all?

Get the Mainland soprano but pay another $40 to get something like the "UkeCrazy" case. Around $40.00 U.S.
I took my daughter's cheap Mahalo soprano on a bike trip, in a very light gig bag. When I returned I noticed the neck was cracked. I glued the neck and it is fine now but you don't want to do that with your Mainland.

So.. do they have mainland ukes in Manila?

I think if your heart says to get a mainland.. then there's your answer.
The heart wants what it wants. Logic be damned.

Thanks a lot for the suggestions. You guys gave me some good ideas. How do you go about strapping the gig bag to your pack?? My backpack does have straps on the sides but it's only one strap per side (near the top) and I can't imagine how it will safely hold the gig bag unless I get my backpack customized.

So.. do they have mainland ukes in Manila?

I think if your heart says to get a mainland.. then there's your answer.
The heart wants what it wants. Logic be damned.

Yes, I've seen Mainland ukes being sold at Ukulele Philippines in here in Makati, Manila. I really want the Mainland, but as a new ukulele isn't exactly a "need," I'm hesitating to open up my wallet :uhoh:

I've also tried fitting my current concert laminate into my pack and it fits (somewhat). The head pokes out of the bag though. Maybe this is the best solution as it's my beater uke. But...I don't have a soprano yet and my reason for wanting one is exactly for these kinds of occasions. Beach + Ukulele is heaven, and I'm blessed to be living in a tropical country where I can easily get to one, any time of the year :music:

Top Bottom