WTB Vintage Martin soprano

Trader Todd

Reaction score
Looking for a vintage Martin soprano. My budget is up to $750, which I guess limits me to a Style O or 1.

Not looking for a museum piece and not looking for a rat rod. Prefer no cracks or repairs, but not scared of the normal wear and tear associated with 70 plus year old instrument.

Been considering the Style 0 theboss has listed in the Marketplace. Been searching ebay, but not really sure what is good and fair price.

I hate the thought of buying something I can't see, touch and smell. I've never bought a guitar sight unseen, but with ukes I don't seem to have much of a choice.

Thanks in advance.

there's a couple listed in the marketplace, just search for martin...

Yes, UkerDanno is correct ... if you are looking for "a player" then they could be a good first purchase.

Looking for a vintage Martin soprano. My budget is up to $750, which I guess limits me to a Style O or 1.

Not looking for a museum piece and not looking for a rat rod. Prefer no cracks or repairs, but not scared of the normal wear and tear associated with 70 plus year old instrument.

Been considering the Style 0 theboss has listed in the Marketplace. Been searching ebay, but not really sure what is good and fair price.

I hate the thought of buying something I can't see, touch and smell. I've never bought a guitar sight unseen, but with ukes I don't seem to have much of a choice.

Thanks in advance.

Welcome to the "Can't Try Before You Buy" club. We all feel your pain here.

If it doesn't end up being what you want, sell and start over, but many of the people here try to be as descriptive as possible and most transactions work out well. You'll find it. It just may take a bit...

It's a step up from your current budget, but there is a used Laughlin on Elderly here for $1,250. A few benefits to consider that *might* justify the additional cost given your intention to make this a family heirloom are (a) vintage tone from newer condition instrument; (b) confidence in buying from a reputable seller with good return policy (I've never bought from them but many have; and (c) an instrument that many people feel is often better than "the real deal."

I have no connection to Elderly or to Laughlin, but I've owned quite a few high end sopranos styled after the vintage Martins (two new Martins, two Kiwayas, two Timms, a high end Loprinzi, Tommy Rodriguez, etc.) and tried a handful of excellent condition vintage Martins. Many of them were quite nice instruments, but nothing sounded as good (almost all fell well short), was finished as perfectly as my Laughlin, or was so hard to put down. It took me many, many tries to find a traditional style soprano that is "the one" for me. YMMV.

Whatever you decide, enjoy the hunt and let us know what you end up with.

Last edited:
Thanks for all the input and the PM's. Eddie that Laughlin looks great, but out of the budget for now. That Talsma Ditson Koa you have for sale looks pretty sweet as well.

Todd, of the type uke you desire--not a beater, not a showpiece--currently a vintage 0 should sell for around $450-500, and a vintage 1 should sell for about $600-650. I don't want you to get rooked by all the "fisherman" sellers on eVilBay.

Be patient. Be patient.

A lady friend of mine told me last week that she would like to sell her Martin soprano model 2. It has no cracks or repairs and was dated late 40's to early 50's. I remember it was loud for a little thing. I mostly play tenors.

I think she would be open to your price but would prefer a face to face cash deal here in the san francisco bay area. You got any friends around here.

Sent you a pm regarding my vintage Martin O uke for sale. Will be listing it here tomorrow.

Top Bottom