Cleaning a Satin Finish

Larry U

UU VIP
UU VIP
Reaction score
My new KoAloha concert and my Kala tenor both have satin finishes. What's the best thing to use to clean them of fingerprints, grease marks, etc. (I have very oily skin, so I tend to leave marks on anything I touch...the CSI guys would love me!) I'm reluctant to use a "polish" as I don't want to turn the finish shiny. A soft cloth dampened with plain water works OK, but has trouble with oily residues. Would a drop or two of dish soap mixed with water cause any issues? Any other products or techniques that would work? TIA!

I've used Dunlop 65 on my Gretsch which has a satin finish, it didnt make it glossy and worked just fine.

I have oily skin as well and with high gloss instrument Ieave prints all over the place and very noticeable. I use a microfiber cloth, not the smooth finish but the ones that look like Terry cloth. They do a great job, easy peasy.

I will use some water with a drop or two of dish soap, it is meant to cut through grease. The satin finish is a finish so a damp cloth wont be an issue.

I have oily skin as well and with high gloss instrument Ieave prints all over the place and very noticeable. I use a microfiber cloth, not the smooth finish but the ones that look like Terry cloth. They do a great job, easy peasy.

I will use some water with a drop or two of dish soap, it is meant to cut through grease. The satin finish is a finish so a damp cloth wont be an issue.
Sounds like a good plan, Dave. I'll give it a try!

I wipe mine down with lemon oil and wipe it off immediately and completely.

Have you used it on satin finishes? I don't want to turn my beautiful satin finishes into shiny, glossy finishes. Most of the guitar polishes I've seen seem designed to bring back the shine. I just want to bring back the clean, satin finish.

I have a satin Pono. I spray it all over, it is good for getting your fretboard clean as well. I don't even worry if it gets on the strings, it has no effect on them what-so-ever.

I asked the luthier for a product that would clean the sweat, oil, dust, etc. off my uke while he was playing my uke.
My Pono was purchased in Oct. 2014 and still looks brand new.
Lizard spit wipes off without any leftover residue. There isn't a strong odor either. Which I like. My mango smells like mango wood.

Hi, I was researching how to clean my satin/matte finish guitar and found this - highly recommended in the guitar forums so I figure good 'nuff for my satin 'uke. Very thick and doesn't take that much to clean. Cheers.

Ken Smith Pro Formula Polish - pink liquid

http://www.amazon.com/Ken-Smith-Pro-Formula-Polish/dp/B0002GHSYS

Last edited:

Me, too, Dave. Also for my reading glasses and tablet screen. Even a dry microfiber does a good job, usually.

Top Bottom