String recommendations for a cheapie uke

JessicaM

Reaction score
Can anyone recommend new strings for this all-plastic soprano uke? The strings it came with sound a little dull (for lack of a better word) and maybe like the tension isn't high enough (maybe?).

image.jpg

Or, I'm sure this has been asked before but I'm having trouble finding another thread. So if you have thread recs, I'd love those too/instead!

Last edited:
Likely a cheap uke will have nylon strings, Aquila will likely make it sound better.
Yes, those look like the right strings to try first.

Definitely Aquila Nylguts. Both my cheapies came with Nylguts and I have no reason to replace them. They do fine. My first uke had cheap nylon strings and they were truly awful with lousy intonation. Aquila Nylguts made a vast improvement though even they couldn't redeem the inherent faults of the instrument and I fairly quickly bought a better instrument and got rid of it.

Speaking of intonation, I wonder how much a note has to be off before listeners without trained ears note the off-ness of the note. 20 cent? Less?

And is it safe to assume that if they don't list the brand of strings that it came with then it probably came with pretty cruddy strings?

I'm an Aquila Nylgut naysayer. They sounded dull and muddy on my cheap uke. At first I thought the uke was the problem but then I put some Martin M600s on it and it sounded like a new (and better) uke! Oasis strings also work very well on it. I'll never buy Aquilas again.

Last edited:
And is it safe to assume that if they don't list the brand of strings that it came with then it probably came with pretty cruddy strings?

Can't say for definate, but they have to cut costs somewhere. :)

As cheap ukes are massed produced in large quantities, the manufacturers probably bulk buy cheap nylon monofilament of approximately suitable gauges. So likely not even branded.

If Nylguts don't do it for you, then try fluorocarbon strings.

Sorry I can't say from experience (never had a plastic uke) but I'd be tempted to try Oasis Lights if the Aquilas don't strike your fancy.

My Waterman came with some Nylgut. I didn't like them.
I consider the uke to be a cheap uke but I spent $8 or $9 for some PHD fluorocarbon and they have changed the tone and sound quality by ten-fold.
The original strings had some serious problems with intonation, especially on the E string.
The PHD have great intonation up the fretboad.

Top Bottom