PDA

View Full Version : String recommendations for a cheapie uke

JessicaM
04-21-2016, 11:15 AM
Can anyone recommend new strings for this all-plastic soprano uke? The strings it came with sound a little dull (for lack of a better word) and maybe like the tension isn't high enough (maybe?).

Or, I'm sure this has been asked before but I'm having trouble finding another thread. So if you have thread recs, I'd love those too/instead!

jollyboy
04-21-2016, 11:27 AM
First stop Aquila Nylguts I would think.

JessicaM
04-21-2016, 11:42 AM
First stop Aquila Nylguts I would think.

Does this look about right?

http://www.amazon.com/Aquila-AQ-4-Soprano-Ukulele-Strings/dp/B00MXUJ394

Croaky Keith
04-21-2016, 11:49 AM
Likely a cheap uke will have nylon strings, Aquila will likely make it sound better.
Yes, those look like the right strings to try first.

jollyboy
04-21-2016, 11:59 AM

Yep, those are exactly the right ones :) After they've taken a few days to settle in, the uke should sound noticeably better.

Moore Bettah Ukuleles
04-21-2016, 12:18 PM
Aquila Nylguts would be my recommendation as well. Keep in mind that the intonation may be off with these strings, especially on an inexpensive uke and on a soprano scale. But it will sound better for sure.

Tootler
04-21-2016, 03:03 PM
Definitely Aquila Nylguts. Both my cheapies came with Nylguts and I have no reason to replace them. They do fine. My first uke had cheap nylon strings and they were truly awful with lousy intonation. Aquila Nylguts made a vast improvement though even they couldn't redeem the inherent faults of the instrument and I fairly quickly bought a better instrument and got rid of it.

Mivo
04-21-2016, 03:08 PM
Speaking of intonation, I wonder how much a note has to be off before listeners without trained ears note the off-ness of the note. 20 cent? Less?

Moore Bettah Ukuleles
04-21-2016, 03:57 PM
Speaking of intonation, I wonder how much a note has to be off before listeners without trained ears note the off-ness of the note. 20 cent? Less?

I think most people can hear 10 cents. Just my 2 cents worth. ;)

stevejfc
04-21-2016, 03:58 PM
Another vote for Aquilas..............big bang for a few bucks (so to speak)

JessicaM
04-21-2016, 04:10 PM
And is it safe to assume that if they don't list the brand of strings that it came with then it probably came with pretty cruddy strings?

mikelz777
04-21-2016, 04:21 PM
I'm an Aquila Nylgut naysayer. They sounded dull and muddy on my cheap uke. At first I thought the uke was the problem but then I put some Martin M600s on it and it sounded like a new (and better) uke! Oasis strings also work very well on it. I'll never buy Aquilas again.

Recstar24
04-21-2016, 04:27 PM
I think most people can hear 10 cents. Just my 2 cents worth. ;)

I believe a normal functioning ear can differentiate up to about 5 cents worth.

Moore Bettah Ukuleles
04-21-2016, 05:32 PM
I believe a normal functioning ear can differentiate up to about 5 cents worth.

So you mean anyone under the age of 15 perhaps. ;)

Recstar24
04-21-2016, 05:47 PM
So you mean anyone under the age of 15 perhaps. ;)

As a junior high teacher, I might disagree :)

Croaky Keith
04-21-2016, 10:45 PM
And is it safe to assume that if they don't list the brand of strings that it came with then it probably came with pretty cruddy strings?

Can't say for definate, but they have to cut costs somewhere. :)

Tootler
04-21-2016, 11:08 PM

Can't say for definate, but they have to cut costs somewhere. :)

As cheap ukes are massed produced in large quantities, the manufacturers probably bulk buy cheap nylon monofilament of approximately suitable gauges. So likely not even branded.

If Nylguts don't do it for you, then try fluorocarbon strings.

UkerDanno
04-22-2016, 05:18 AM

If there's a music store near you, they probably have Aquilas and probably Martins...

PhilUSAFRet
04-22-2016, 11:07 AM
Sorry I can't say from experience (never had a plastic uke) but I'd be tempted to try Oasis Lights if the Aquilas don't strike your fancy.

johnson430
04-22-2016, 11:22 AM
My Waterman came with some Nylgut. I didn't like them.
I consider the uke to be a cheap uke but I spent $8 or $9 for some PHD fluorocarbon and they have changed the tone and sound quality by ten-fold.
The original strings had some serious problems with intonation, especially on the E string.
The PHD have great intonation up the fretboad.

Sven-Uke
04-22-2016, 11:57 AM
I'm an Aquila Nylgut naysayer. They sounded dull and muddy on my cheap uke. At first I thought the uke was the problem but then I put some Martin M600s on it and it sounded like a new (and better) uke! Oasis strings also work very well on it. I'll never buy Aquilas again.

+1 For Martin 600. Most cheapo ukes I had certainly sounded less cheap with these strings :)

Tootler
04-22-2016, 12:37 PM

Each to their own. I prefer fluorocarbon strings for most of my ukes but my present cheapies came with Nylgut strings and sound OK so I'm happy to leave them on. When they go I'll replace them with fluorocarbon strings.

mikelz777
04-22-2016, 01:45 PM
The Aquilas that came on my Lanikai sounded dull and muddy and I read so much about people extolling the greatness of Aquilas that I thought I either got bum strings or it was a problem with the uke. I put some new Aquilas on it and it still sounded dull and muddy. I started bumming out thinking it had to be the uke when I decided to try the Martins on it. I couldn't believe the difference! It sounded so much brighter and so much better! I also liked the feel of the Martins (and Oasis) over the Aquilas. A lot of people seem to like them but they don't do anything for me.

Mivo
04-22-2016, 02:39 PM
It does depend on the instrument also, no doubt.

Aquila Nylguts would be my first choice if I looked to improve the sound of an inexpensive ukulele too, because they are fairly loud, punchy (good drive), and easy to find (definitely the easiest to find ukulele strings in Europe). My first real uke, which fairly heavily built, came with Nylguts and they are still the strings that sound best on it. I tried Martins (when I could get them more easily here) and they definitely sounded too thin on that uke, though I liked them on other instruments. Then I had a Worth phase, and right now I'm into Living Water strings after a recently acquired soprano came with them and I really loved how they ring and feel.

Anyway, strings are always a personal choice, but I feel Nylguts are a good place to start the journey at.

JessicaM
04-22-2016, 05:24 PM
Thanks folks! I definitely take it to heart that strings are a personal preference and that matching the "flavor" instrument matters. These are for my young daughter's ukulele which sounds not-too-bad given its $35 price. I end up picking it up a lot -- mostly because it's left laying all over the place, but the wonky intonation and dull sound is starting to disappoint. I'll start with the Aquilas Nylagut and see what that does for us :)

JessicaM
04-25-2016, 02:15 PM
I'll start with the Aquilas Nylagut and see what that does for us :)

I just got them on. They're still stretching out but already they sound much better! Thanks :)

timmit65
04-26-2016, 04:19 PM
If Nylguts don't do it for you, then try fluorocarbon strings.

If you end up going with fluorocarbon strings, try Martin's. The great part is, you're only looking at spending 5-10 bucks! It's not a lifelong investment. Try several!

UkulelesRcooL
04-26-2016, 05:27 PM
I think the cheapest Ive found Aquila strings is here
https://www.stringsbymail.com/search/results.html?inc_subcat=1&search_in_description=1&categories_id=684&keyword=soprano&x=0&y=0
Ive had good luck with them myself..
Hope this helps...

Bud