My First LIVE cover - Rise by Eddie Vedder

greatone88

Reaction score
I am new to the Ukulele and have never played any instrument before and I have been playing almost daily for about 3 1/2 months now and my buddy on my hockey team is a huge fan of the song Rise by Eddie Vedder.

A couple weeks ago we song Fat Bottomed Girls at a local bar during Karaoke night after our Beer league hockey game. He said to me "Dude, we need to do Rise with me singing and you doing the Uke". We asked the Karaoke dude if I could plug up my Uke the next time we came and he said yes (he probably thought we were totally drunk and would never do it). I didn't know the song, so I learned it as best as I could.

Two weeks later we had a Tuesday night game and that is Karaoke night. We went to the bar and I walked in Uke in hand. After quite a few beers it was our turn. Another guy on the team recorded it. I made some mistakes, but it was fun. Want to practice even harder now. Anyway, here is the link to the video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ENYHP0sYiFE. Have fun with it.

He wants to do Somewhere over the Rainbow next, that is going to be a BLAST.

Last edited:
For being 'quite a few beers' in, I'd say you did a great job! After a few drinks, I may as well be playing with sausages duct-taped to my fingers.

Thanks Koa! After watching the video a few times I saw at least 10 spots where I missed a chord or totally boogered up the chord. I guess my lack of experience and the Guinness may have had a hand in it :)

Sounds GREAT!

For only playing such a short period of time you are well on you way to becoming awesome - plus KUDOS TO YOU for having the guts to get up and perform in public pretty much as a beginner - please do NOT stop - you have a bright uke future ahead...

I'm looking forward to future uke videos from you and/or your pals, from karaoke-night or otherwise...

Funny that this morning I was just checking out some Eddie Vedder uke videos of his live performances as inspiration for this week's Seasons challenge, since he is from Chicago as per Wikipedia.

Thanks for sharing! :)

Last edited:
Thanks Booli !! I appreciate the positive feedback. I had forgotten I had posted this and came back to see your wonderful words of encouragement. It is slow going lately, some good days and some not so good. Eventually it will come around.

Top Bottom