Sound board finish

Vespa Bob

Reaction score
This week in sunny San Jose the weather was perfect for outdoor spraying, so taking advantage of that fact, I dusted off my airbrush, took a deep breath and produced this sunburst finish. I didn't intend posting pics of this uke until it was done, but this turned out so well that I just had to share!

Bob

Attachments

• sunburst 4.jpg
    sunburst 4.jpg
    93.2 KB · Views: 95
Great colors in that sunburst - nicely done. How did you keep the color off of the purfling?

Ed

well there bob. very nice and sensitive work. most sunbursts are waaay too dark and into burnt tobacco coloration. the airbrush was a good choice. when the work gets too dark, it's not a sunburst, it's dark and depressing. you have inspired me for a couple of softwood top builds.

Thanks so much for the kind responses, they made my day!
Ruby, I used frisket paper to mask out the rosette and purfling. It works better than masking tape and the method of scraping the color off after spraying doesn't appeal to me, at least not on a finish such as this, I can just imagine the scraper slipping into the shading! Even now, I fear that I'll scratch the surface with my fingernail, or drop something on it before I'm done polishing it out!
Chuck, I'm with you regarding the usual sunbursts one sees, much too dark and dreary. Maybe OK on a Spanish Guitar, but not on a ukulele IMHO. The airbrush was a natural choice for me, for while I haven't done a sunburst on an instrument before, I have used it many times on art projects. It's a great tool.
Thanks again for the comments, I'll be posting the finished instrument soon, I hope! I'm travelling to Texas on the 14th May and I'm hoping to take it with me to give to my son.

Bob

Wow from me too.
Please keep this in a gig bag if you carry it around on your Vespa.
I would definitely be very distracted if I were driving behind you, if it's in sight.

-Vinnie in Juneau

Top Bottom